The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) - film and score (Brian Tyler)

Jay

I quite like the look of that.

I love Bowser, but not sure yet about Jack Black as the voice. I feel it should've been someone with a much deeper and booming voice.

The characters designs looked great I felt. And theaser of Luigi's haunted mansion was fun.

And Tyler as composer is a lot of fun I think. Hope he incorporates some of the themes from the games.

14 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

So was this particular detail (Kondo being involved) legitimately confirmed in the Direct itself?

z09LgiF.png

See 36:29 - 36:41: 

Composer Brian Tyler heads to the scoring stage in just 11 days. He's been working hand in hand with Koji Kondo to integrate classic themes from the game into the film's score.

30 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Having Brian Tyler adapt Koji Kondo is like having Lorne Balfe adapt Joe Hisaishi.

Stop comparing that hack Brian Tyler to the genius that is Lorne Balfe

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is this Tyler’s first animated kids film?

They're not animation, but Tyler has done movies for kids before, like Dragonball Evolution and the 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - i.e., you must be below the age of 8 to actually like these movies.

Recently he has done the new Chip and Dale reboot on D+

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's not a reboot, it's a comeback.

11 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Is it safe to assume none of the music was by Tyler? All trailer house composers? I did not like the music at the end of the trailer.

Literally almost no trailer ever has music from the actual film in it. It's probably like .01% of trailers that have that 

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

They're not animation, but Tyler has done movies for kids before, like Dragonball Evolution and the 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - i.e., you must be below the age of 8 to actually like these movies.

The Chip and Dale is certainly closer in tone to this than the others.  I haven’t listened to any of them.

On 06/10/2022 at 1:38 AM, mstrox said:

Sorry, Stu - no further shots below the belt.  #Assgate continues. But if we complain loud enough, it’s possible that Illumination will go back to the drawing board Sonic-style and give us that big juicy ass we know and love.

This is a ridiculous discussion. Clearly Mario has no ass because this is a prequel and he hasn't been doing all the running and jumping that will shape his princess peaches - that will come at the end of the film.

Nice trailer, but goddamn I hate the nostalgic piano plinking drenched in reverb, it's insipid.

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Is this Tyler’s first animated kids film?

TMNT is definitely a kids movie, I don't know about Dragonball, I haven't seen it but based on everything I saw online about it I doubt any kid would actually like it. 

Earlier this year there was a Chip N'Dale comeback. Few years back he did one Power Ranger live action reboot, which features a unacceptably low use of that go go power rangers theme tune.

And he did the first season of Transformer Prime as well as a Lego Universe game, both I like a lot. 

16 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Stop comparing that hack Brian Tyler to the genius that is Lorne Balfe

Why are they collaborating anyway? Can't Tyler read notes?

Does he need Kondo to tell him "that sucks"?

I'm certainly far from excited about Tyler scoring this, but I can foresee a possible future where this turns out at the least fun and listenable.  Of course, I also foresee more possible futures where it's a dull slog like most Tyler scores.

Either way, Tyler getting the gig doesn't dampen my anticipation for the movie, which looks just great for a long-time Mario obsessive like myself.

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm certainly far from excited about Tyler scoring this, but I can foresee a possible future where this turns out at the least fun and listenable.  Of course, I also foresee more possible futures where it's a dull slog like most Tyler scores.

It's Tyler, so it's at least 70% guaranteed that the score will be a slog to get through, filled with "epic trailer" versions of the Mario themes.

@Tydirium is correct, they should've hired a Japanese composer with Nintendo experience. Instead, we'll get the same generic and forgettable crap they write for big budget movies.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's Tyler, so it's at least 70% guaranteed that the score will be a slog to get through, filled with "epic trailer" versions of the Mario themes.

@Tydirium is correct, they should've hired a Japanese composer with Nintendo experience. Instead, we'll get the same generic and forgettable crap they write for big budget movies.

Well, we know that he's incorporating Koji Kondo's theme(s) to at least some extent, so there could be a few cues that are keepers.  OTOH he could mangle the themes in awful trailerized arrangements....

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Calm down, no one’s even heard the score yet. 

Also it’s a Hollywood production. While the Nintendo composers are brilliant at what they do they’re not film composers - game composing a completely different skill set. I can only think of a couple of examples of a game composer doing a film adaptation of their work; Akira Yamaoka for Silent Hill and Gustavo Santaolalla for the upcoming The Last of Us series. And in the latter case Santaolalla was a film composer already - he was hired for the game to support its deliberate cinematic aesthetic. Having Kondo work closely with Tyler is more than most adaptations would even get.

58 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Also it’s a Hollywood production. While the Nintendo composers are brilliant at what they do they’re not film composers - game composing a completely different skill set. I can only think of a couple of examples of a game composer doing a film adaptation of their work; Akira Yamaoka for Silent Hill and Gustavo Santaolalla for the upcoming The Last of Us series. And in the latter case Santaolalla was a film composer already - he was hired for the game to support its deliberate cinematic aesthetic. Having Kondo work closely with Tyler is more than most adaptations would even get.

Having Akira Yamaoka’s music for the first Silent Hill movie was such an amazing move, it works very well towards capturing that same ambience of the games

10 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Having Akira Yamaoka’s music for the first Silent Hill movie was such an amazing move, it works very well towards capturing that same ambience of the games

I may be mistaken, but pretty sure the Silent Hill film score was Jeff Danna arranging Yamaoka’s themes. Don’t think Yamaoka actually scored anything to picture on that one. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I may be mistaken, but pretty sure the Silent Hill film score was Jeff Danna arranging Yamaoka’s themes. Don’t think Yamaoka actually scored anything to picture on that one. 

Yup. I believe the plan was that they straight up were just going to use music from the games wholesale, but it being a Canadian production meant that it needed a good percentage of the crew to reflect that. I'm not sure how much Danna did end up having to arrange (especially when the one album that exists is a curated bootleg he had no involvement with), but a good portion still are just the original Akira compositions, I remember being told.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I thought the Danna stuff was really only in the second Silent Hill film, either way the collaboration worked in the first (not the second)

21 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think Henry Jackman would be a fine choice for this movie. He did a nice blend of old electronic videogame music with traditional Hollywood scoring in Wreck-It Ralph.

You can't convince me that Tyler and Jackman are different composers

6 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Jackman has done some interesting scores for kids movies (Wreck-It Ralph, Puss in Boots, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Big Hero 6, etc), and his Marvel scores work well in context (though the listening experience of Winter Soldier's OST is awful). But he also has done some bland scores for action thrillers, filled with angry electronics, Bourne-like strings and everything else you come to expect from action movies these days. I guess film music fans  in the late 80s never thought they'd miss Michael Kamen, but here we are.

As for Tyler... Some of his action scores from the past decade are decent, like Iron Man 3, Expendables, TMNT, Thor: The Dark World. Over the last few years he has branched into others, less-action driven kinds of movies and TV shows, like Crazy Rich Asians, Yellowstone, etc. Kinda like a film music bad boy discovering his soft side :lol:. This Mario movie is probably his first light kiddie comedy since the beginning of his career, so we'll see if how much "epicness" the score will have. 

25 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Tyler is the one who sounds like behind the scenes documentary music.

Brian Tyler and Henry Jackman don't really have a lot in common in terms of their compositional styles

But they do both score a lot of the same types of films

I think it was a good idea that they went for someone other than Jackman for this. I absolutely enjoyed his score for the first Ralph but all the "clone" movies he worked on afterwards like, say, Pixels or even the Ralph sequel felt more of the same - albeit with far less enthusiasm.

Still, their choice is highly surprising. It's like hearing a Nolan film is getting scored by Menken.

6 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

I think it was a good idea that they went for someone other than Jackman for this. I absolutely enjoyed his score for the first Ralph but all the "clone" movies he worked on afterwards like, say, Pixels or even the Ralph sequel felt more of the same - albeit with far less enthusiasm.

Still, their choice is highly surprising. It's like hearing a Nolan film is getting scored by Menken.

You're probably correct. Jackman absolutely peaked in the early-to-mid 2010s with Wreck-It Ralph, Puss in Boots, Big Hero 6, but lately even his animated scores are leaving no impression on me, like the Wreck-It Ralph sequel. I watched that movie and can't remember absolutely anything about the music.

Sure, agree about Jackman, but he also did some excellent stuff on The Predator and Skull Island despite what the fanboys say. The orchestrations are often innovative and detailed and work well beyond the usual guff that Tyler and team pull out.

Maybe the Mario franchise will get Tyler inspired but not holding my breath. He's too busy posing with his new Porches and getting funky haircuts to do anything substantial. Kidding.

His early work was good - Frailty, Children of Dune, Bubba Ho-Tep, Hunted. But since he hit the Vin Diesel phase of his career, it's literally been the same template for everything. I cannot tell where a new Rambo score begins and where the next Furious score ends. The same ostinatos, the same orchestration, the same theme, the same approach.

Not surprised that Feige removed him from the Marvel franchise after Thor 2. The themes he composed for Thor 2, Avengers 2 and Marvel were more or less the same thing. And that's not franchise synergy but more or less lack of inspiration or laziness.

He is a skilled musician and can clearly do more and while he may be a victim of the committee-approach to scoring, he is also one of those who is at the forefront of that dulling down of vibrant film music with identikit nonsense.

On 08/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, Koray Savas said:

Calm down, no one’s even heard the score yet. 

LOL

I don't know how zebra dung smells, too, but if I smelled it, I'm fairly certain it would smell like shit.

10 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

LOL

I don't know how zebra dung smells, too, but if I smelled it, I'm fairly certain it would smell like shit.

You can go ahead and write off an entire composer’s career as shit, but I like to be open minded and actually judge things by watching and/or listening them. 

• 2 weeks later...