THE LAST JEDI - score segments premiere in new Last Jedi Star Tours update

Jay

I love that new, slower version of The Journey Home at the end! But it sounds more like an unused alternate from TFA than something new from TLJ.

Could well be something from TLJ but seems a little too direct a lift from a previous score for JW's liking.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I love that new, slower version of The Journey Home at the end! But it sounds more like an unused alternate from TFA than something new from TLJ.

Could well be something from TLJ but seems a little too direct a lift from a previous score for JW's liking.

Chamber of Secrets...

In all seriousness, maybe it's Haab. I haven't really listened to it, though.

2:18 - 2:40 is a new, playful variation on March of the Resistance. Not previously heard in TFA's final score nor in the leaked unused music. Possibly TLJ music?

2:40 - 2:49 is indecipherable, probably just sound effects

2:50 - 2:56 just sounds like Arrival at Takodana from TFA

2:57 - 3:18 is Superstructure Chase from Return of the Jedi

3:19 - 4:05 is Scherzo for X-Wings from TFA

4:06 - 4:30 is an alternate version of The Journey Home from TFA. Possibly a new version of that cue from TLJ?

I'm inclined to think if they just reused TFA music for the Crait sequence (rather than Williams' actual cue from TLJ) then the rest is probably just unused music from TFA we haven't heard yet.

Scherzo for X-Wings sounds identical, as does Arrival on Takodana.

There might be some performance differences in the ROTJ material though, which is interesting. Note that Superstructure Chase is only available in the 1997 SEs, which Disney have seemingly 'scrapped' or considered unworthy for release. Could indicate newer transfers have been made for the OT scoring sessions, not just the OST masters.

god damn it, I got excited because I remember last time recognising that the music from the Jakku Star Tours update video could be from the new score and it was, albeit a shortened alternate. on the other hand it makes my worry as I heard it of 'wow this just sounds like TFA again' invalid, since it quite literally is just TFA with some alternates. the march of the resistance one sounds interesting, but I'm inclined to believe its more of an alternate rather than a TLJ recording. they seem to be really under wraps with the TLJ music, even more-so with TFA since they quite happily gave parts of the score to the scene around this time before the movie came out.

Sounds like a bunch of "outtakes / alternates" to me. Doesn't seem there's much in the way of more new music for the film, but I doubt it's the main overall score. It isn't like Williams to 100% recycle anyway. 

On 11/17/2017 at 5:22 PM, crumbs said:

I love that new, slower version of The Journey Home at the end!

Love seeing that track get some love. This & the one immediately after (Farewell & the Trip) are my favorites on the entire TFA soundtrack. The movie goes thru a whole series of emotional beats in rapid succession during those tracks, and the music just flows effortlessly in support of each one. 

JW at his most masterful, IMO.

The Journey Home is one of my favorites from TFA.

I'm curious as to why they would use alternates/unused music from TFA in Star Tours especially when the other TFA music seem to be direct from the soundtrack.  The OT music sounds a bit different, too.

The track absolutely is microedited, or rather, it contains the "Farewell" music and "The Trip" music, without the "R2 Wakes Up" cue that goes in between them, instead presenting that cue earlier in the album in "Rey Meets BB-8"

7 hours ago, Jay said:

The track absolutely is microedited, or rather, it contains the "Farewell" music and "The Trip" music, without the "R2 Wakes Up" cue that goes in between them, instead presenting that cue earlier in the album in "Rey Meets BB-8"

Ah, yes, totally forgot about that!

So it was R2 Wakes Up that they tracked into Rey Meets BB8, not vice-versa? I remember Williams saying they had a lot of trouble finding the right 'tone' for the latter scene, so I'm guessing the final result was tracked with Williams' consultation (considering the OST followed suit).

The R2 cue also segues perfectly into The Trip, whereas the Rey Meets BB8 version awkwardly transitions to that First Order fanfare.

We don't know FOR SURE until the sheet music leaks, but it seems MUCH more likely that it's the cue from the end of the movie tracked into the beginning, and they replicated that tracking for the OST album - something Williams has done before, on for example The Accidental Tourist and Tintin.

In this video, it sounds like an unreleased alternate of The Falcon, not merely the track on the OST.

Geez, is there anything JW didn't have to record multiple times with TFA?!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

It's purportedly the name of the first track in TJL album :

01 - Main title and geez, is there anything JW didn't have to record multiple times with TFA?!

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, I guess we shouldn’t pick on him for his sketches saying things like C3PO Wakes Up considering it was probably the twelfth time he wrote the cue. 

It also goes a long way to explaining the "thinner" streamlined orchestrations, despite how much time he had. Ultimately most of that extra time was eaten up by rewrites.

I think we'll learn a lot from TLJ.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The only alternate I heard was the "Finale and the Trip" segment being a half step lower than it should be. The rest of the alternates were actually segments of the TLJ score ("Fun With Finn and Rose" and "The Battle of Crait"). All that speculation but there was already TLJ music here a month early...

8 hours ago, Drew said:

The only alternate I heard was the "Finale and the Trip" segment being a half step lower than it should be. The rest of the alternates were actually segments of the TLJ score ("Fun With Finn and Rose" and "The Battle of Crait"). All that speculation but there was already TLJ music here a month early...

Where in the video do you hear this music?

I meant to only bold "Fun With Finn and Rose."  The sound effects drown out a good part of the music in spots, but I didn't hear that music.  Aside from "Here They Come," I only heard a small bit from Luke and Kylo's confrontation.  I guess it really doesn't matter at this point.

I'm 100% sure it's Fun With Finn and Rose and The Battle of Crait. This was under our nose for a month !
And 0:35 is the fight with Luke and Kylo when we see the close up to Kylo's face with his lightsaber on from the first teaser.

If I'm not mistaken this cue isn't in the OST or the For Your Consideration either :( 

1 hour ago, Oswin Pond said:

I'm 100% sure it's Fun With Finn and Rose and The Battle of Crait. This was under our nose for a month !
And 0:35 is the fight with Luke and Kylo when we see the close up to Kylo's face with his lightsaber on from the first teaser.

If I'm not mistaken this cue isn't in the OST or the For Your Consideration either :( 

Ah, you're right.  When I heard it, I was thinking it was an unreleased MOTR bit from TFA.