Tanglewood 2018: Williams to Conduct at Film Night, the Bernstein Concert, and Parade

Will

Yesterday I Air Conducted the Duel of the Fates, I was so good!

I really don't know if I could do this again when I'll turn 86 years old. I cracked two ribs.

Chapeau Maestro!

Would love to see a video of Williams conducting Duel of the Fates at his age! Just goes to show there's no reason he couldn't write and conduct a piece equally as thrilling for Episode IX.

Who knows what JJ will ask for, but I'm hopeful he goes full-on choir for IX.

Yes I also was amazed by the chorus,

and rediscovered the "Marion Theme", "Han Solo and the Princess" more energy and quick tempo than other past renditions. No?

5 minutes ago, aescalle said:

Yes I also was amazed by the chorus,

and rediscovered the "Marion Theme", "Han Solo and the Princess" more energy and quick tempo than other past renditions. No?

JW is more machine than a man now. Just kidding.

Like I wrote earlier, when there is a videoclip playing live... the real conductor is a TV screen 😉. It seems they created their clips using pretty fast tempi, but it's okay!

For Williams, it's exactly the same thing as if he recorded a tracked sequence in a movie studio.

It must be the first time he's conducted DOTF in well over a decade. I wonder if something triggered it? Is he revisiting that style of writing of IX and it's on his mind? Has he been overseeing a new expansion of the prequel trilogy? Is it just a coincidence, triggered by nothing except fatigue conducting Rey's, Han's and the RIR suites?

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It must be the first time he's conducted DOTF in over a decade. I wonder if something triggered it? Is he revisiting that style of writing of IX and it's on his mind? Has he been overseeing a new expansion of the prequel trilogy? Is it just a coincidence, triggered by nothing except fatigue conducting Rey's, Han's and the RIR suites?

Well yesterday they had a Chorus.

When you have the chance to have a Chorus... and you are John Williams, you choose to play which works??? ;)

Well that's true. I guess Williams' choral pieces are, sadly, in short supply over the last two decades. He has to know the badass stature that DOTF is held in (even the Zimmer fans acknowledge its brilliance, which is saying something), so hopefully he channels that style in IX for some big action moments.

I reckon he was just warming up in TLJ and getting a taste for it.

My favorite part of the show, is the guy who spells each WGBG WHBC, WRBX, WBCH, whatever local stations. Very professionnal, great strong voice.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

My favorite part of the show, is the guy who spells each WGBG WHBC, WRBX, WBCH, whatever local stations. Very professionnal, great strong voice.

Hahaha,

yes,

with each broadcast the medical caritative message in the intermission... Always surprise me, it became like a new rendez-vous point on a new medical case

It takes you out of the moud for one minutes

Hey you want to donate?  Give us your car, your boat, your house, we take everything... and we even pick them directly!

Donation 2.0 in the USA, that's fantastic!

He did Duel of the Fates, AND with a chorus?!?! That’s been my dream for the Boston concerts for ten years! :(

Hoping he does that next year...

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Normally when we record the broadcast on the website, we get a 192kbps mp3, This time, by getting the live stream, I hope it's a "little bit" better, but they don't broadcast in losslesss format, this is certain.

The live stream was 192kbps MP3, so no matter how you grabbed it, either a direct grab of the stream (which I did) or by re-recording it real-time in Audacity, Audition, etc., it can never be any better than that.  But 192kbps is better than most streams out there, which often max out at 128kbps.

Yeah, DOTF was the highlight and the whole reason I went.

Good Lord, it POURED buckets of rain most of the concert, so much so I couldn't hear the music well at times, and completely missed what he said during the encore. Can't wait to listen again

He also went into great detail about all the new themes he's writing for Episode IX (both of them), including a baroque piece for a brand new character called Gabba the Mutt (an infamous snail-like crime lord who kidnaps Rose on the planet Dantooine, forcing a dangerous rescue mission with Rey, Finn and Poe).

He also explicitly stated why he didn't write a proper end credits suite for TLJ, and why he combined two of TLJ's new themes into the one concert suite.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

He also went into great detail about all the new themes he's writing for Episode IX (both of them), including a baroque piece for a brand new character called Gabba the Mutt (an infamous ganglord who kidnaps Rose on the planet Dantooine, forcing a dangerous rescue mission with Rey, Finn and Poe).

He also explicitly stated why he didn't write a proper end credits suite for TLJ, and why he combined two of TLJ's new themes into the one concert suite.

I'm sure I heard Fagga the Butt, but my ears could have trickened me.

No, it was definitely Gabba the Mutt. An obvious in-studio homage that really goes without saying, especially considering it's Lucasfilm.

Yes, that's right, it's a tip of the fedora to Yo Gabba Gabba, one of Kathy Kennedy's favourite TV shows!

yo-gabba-gabba-feel-the-friendship-video

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He also went into great detail about all the new themes he's writing for Episode IX (both of them), including a baroque piece for a brand new character called Gabba the Mutt (an infamous snail-like crime lord who kidnaps Rose on the planet Dantooine, forcing a dangerous rescue mission with Rey, Finn and Poe).

I know you're probably kidding, but I actually read a rumor that Episode IX will feature

Spoiler

Jabba's son Rotta the Hutt who does pretty much what you just wrote....

So no one's mentioned the "Milli Vanilli moment" preceding "Call of the Champions"!! Seems there was a pre-recorded bit played just prior to the start of the piece, followed by audience laughter.  Anyone in attendance care to elaborate on what happened?

3 minutes ago, thx99 said:

So no one's mentioned the "Milli Vanilli moment" preceding "Call of the Champions"!! Seems there was a pre-recorded bit played just prior to the start of the piece, followed by audience laughter.  Anyone in attendance care to elaborate on what happened?

It seems to me the orchestra, then the piano gave the note to the chorus, no?

Maybe a videoclip was starting a this moment too, without having the image it's hard to say.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It seems to me the orchestra, then the piano gave the note to the chorus, no?

Maybe a videoclip was started a this moment too.

I suspect it was a videoclip that started prematurley, then the piano bit, then the start of the live performance.  But the videoclip included pre-recorded music?  Strange!

I think that John Williams wanted to start before he actualy got the "cue" from the TV screen. So he just stopped the thing quickly after the first note... then the piano gave quickly his three notes, then they started rigthly.

Seemed to me just like a false start.

- STOP!!!! WAIT FOR THE PIANO FIRST!!!!

- OH SORRY!!!!

In latin we call that a coitus interruptus.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is he revisiting that style of writing of IX and it's on his mind?

I certainly hope so!  A choral heavy Star Wars score would be awesome.  Almost as awesome as a Williams opera.

2 hours ago, aescalle said:

Or it is maybe like on the first notes from Jaws ... Also each time the audience is laughing

Why do they do that?  

26 minutes ago, Bespin said:

- STOP!!!! WAIT FOR THE PIANO FIRST!!!!

- OH SORRY!!!!

In latin we call that a coitus interruptus.

In Australia, we call that a Russell Coitus Interruplatypus.

There's also a lot more swearing and usually the conductor slamming the piano closed on the pianist's hands. I believe Williams has only done that twice, during some of the trickier piano sections of The Terminal.

I'm of course too lazy to retype the yesterday concert's program for my website, can we find it somewhere? Then I'll just have to do a copy-paste.

Thanks!

😎