New Enterprise theme, would Goldsmith be up to it?

NeejaHalycon

(I realize this is my second Trek related thread in a row, but I assure you, this is ON topic, and from here on I will devote myself to only LOTR and Media Ventures topics.)

I have read articles from various online sources stating that the rather poorly received 5th Trek series will be revamped next season. Part of this might be to replace the vocal theme song with a more traditional piece. (Having only watched it a couple of times, I cannot speak to whether the current theme works or not.)

Given that Nemesis had very few cues of note, and the fact that it's been about 10 years since he did the Voyager theme, do you think he should be tapped for a new theme?

If not who would you have? (Besides Williams.)

I'd like to see W.G. Snuffy Walden take a crack at it myself.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berman thinks Goldsmith is great, so if he decides to do a new main title piece it's certainly possible Jerry will be asked.

And if not then McCarty of Chattaway are more then capable of doing one.

Stefancos- who thinks Nemesis had it's share of noteworthy cues.

Goldsmith said at the London concerts that he would have loved to do the theme for DS9, but he didn't have time when they needed it. If they ask him, he'll certainly do it - and he'll definitely be able to write a great one. ;)

Marian - who thinks the song doesn't work AT ALL.

i dont adore goldsmith's style, very simplistic and repetitive.

personnaly i would use myself as the composer, lol

but thats just because its my field of study.

maybe goldenthal could write a decent theme for it, hes got a versatile feel, capable or wagnerian feels like williams and more exoticd pieces also.

but still, i say to paramount, give me a try, ;)

i dont adore goldsmith's style, very simplistic and repetitive.

I agree that his style has become simplistic and repetitive recently. But not in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

personnaly i would use myself as the composer, lol

but thats just because its my field of study.

You study music and you can't see that HP&COS is much more than a simple rehash?

I think it'd be cool if Jerry would make a new theme with some recognizable hints of the TMP theme (kind of like Anakin's theme, except the TMP theme would be present a tad bit more). After all, the show is called Enterprise and the only time the TMP theme is played anymore is with a ship called Enterprise. It'd make the continuity jibe.

LiJ--who wouldn't mind taking a stab at writing an Enterprise episode.

;) Main Title from The Last Starfighter

I think I should do it actually!!!

Nah, as much as Williams is Star Wars, Goldsmith is Trek for me. No one else should do it but him in my opinion. And I agree that it should have some ties to the TMP theme since it is about Enterprise, but maybe a theme that could some day become TMP.....

I agree that Goldsmith should be called in to write a theme, among many changes that need to be made if this promising yet stumbling show called Enterprise is going to survive.

I'm just disappointed and have been ever since "Broken Bow" that the Paramount execs dropped the ball the first time we saw Enterprise leave spacedock or Earth orbit or whatever, and it didn't have any bold, brassy, recognizeable theme. I mean, the first season of TNG was littered with repetitions of the theme from TMP, since it's TNG's theme as well, and musically, the first season was great for it.

We'll see what happens. I like the song for what it is, a good song about trying and stuff like that, it's the kind of song you'd have someone sing at graduation to inspire the seniors. But as a Star Trek title song, it doesn't fit. Bring in Goldsmith...before it's too late.

Goldsmith said at the London concerts that he would have loved to do the theme for DS9, but he didn't have time when they needed it.

It's interesting to think about what kind of theme Goldsmith would've written for DS9, if it could've incorporated more of his TMP theme, or even Courage's fanfare, which I've never heard in either DS9 or Voyager, not to mention Enterprise, unless I just wasn't paying attention. I would've liked to have heard a snippet of the TMP theme whenever the Enterprise-D was mentioned or seen in DS9, like the first episode, Thomas Riker's trip to the station, Worf's arrival, his conversations with O'Brien about delivering Molly, the prune juice conversations, talk with Alexander...ok, I'm rambling...or even in Voyager when Janeway tells the Borg that Locutus was once an ambassador between Starfleet and Borg, to give them Seven of Nine.

However, I do like the DS9 theme, and radical as it sounds, I think it's my favorite Trek TV theme, that is, its performance in the 4th season onwards...yes, even with the "doom doom" rhythm underneath.

and from here on I will devote myself to only LOTR and Media Ventures topics

What do you mean by this?

I never thought I'd reach a point where a Star Trek series bored me to tears, but....sadly, I've reached that final frontier. And it sucks. Like the show.

A new theme wouldn't hurt at all, since the current silliness was one of the first things that tipped me off that Paramount had apparently decided that it was the high ratings and lasting success that were simplistic and repetitive, and it was time for a change. Goldsmith would indeed be great. I think his redundancies tend to spring up over the longer hauls of full scores, whereas when he's taken in smaller doses--such as 60-second TV themes--he can't help but shine.

Regardless, if they don't do something to juice up that show, they'll need a new theme like King Tut needs a new bladder.

- Uni

it should have some ties to the TMP theme since it is about Enterprise, but maybe a theme that could some day become TMP.....

You mean it should sound like the alternates that Goldsmith wrote for Star Trek - The Motion Picture.

Neil

Jerry Goldsmith is all used up.

anything new he would write would be by accident.

he's nothing more than a bloodsucking leech who exists as a parasite on his old scores.

He even makes Horner sound original.

Dan Hobgood.

LOL Who wrote that post.

However, I do like the DS9 theme, and radical as it sounds, I think it's my favorite Trek TV theme, that is, its performance in the 4th season onwards...yes, even with the "doom doom" rhythm underneath

Agreed.

I dunno if a new theme for Enterprise is a good idea, pop song one season, orchestral piece the next? Too much of a change, but who cares right, we'll get a new Goldsmith trek theme.

Hi Joe, how goes it?  

Fine thanks, I am getting a new laptop and I have started cleaning out all the junk so they can transfer faster and quicker. So I deleted all my cookies and turned of the automatic log on. Come Wednesday I will have the new system all hooked up and will be ready to rock and roll, or more appropriately to this place, conduct and orchestrate.

Ahh, hehe, you were my first guess, but I haven't noticed that much Goldsmith bashing by you.

I really hope that Jerry Goldsmith will be given the chance to do a new theme for the series!!!! Who's darn idea was it to use a pop-song anyway???? banghead

Judging by the incredible visuals in the opening credits, I'm sure Jerry would do a great job!!! :(

Phil

OK Neil, fine, it should sound akin to the Next Generation Theme!!! :(

Since Enterprise will be in the Expanse next season, in uncharted space, why don't they use the Voyager theme.

Of course if Jerry does write something for the show it will sound just like something else he wrote, which sounded like something else he wrote, and so on and so on.

I agree. I think Goldsmith would do fine for a new theme. I personally hate the pop song but love his Voyager theme, so... I'm open to it.

On a side note... Stefancos why do you have a fictional quote from that April Fools Joke in your sig? It's a bit deceiving to those who might not know...

I agree. I think Goldsmith would do fine for a new theme. I personally hate the pop song but love his Voyager theme, so... I'm open to it.

On a side note... Stefancos why do you have a fictional quote from that April Fools Joke in your sig? It's a bit deceiving to those who might not know...

I think it's hilarious :(

Well I revisited some of Nemesis, and I now think that Goldsmith is still capable of creating very moving themes. The Reman end credits bit is great. Something along those lines might make a pretty good opener for this so-called "new direction" in the series.

I guess we could chalk up the overall lackluster feeling of the Nemesis score to meddling by Berman and Co.

I think it's hilarious

So do I.

Neil - truly flattered

I think it'd be cool if Jerry would make a new theme with some recognizable hints of the TMP theme (kind of like Anakin's theme, except the TMP theme would be present a tad bit more).  After all, the show is called Enterprise and the only time the TMP theme is played anymore is with a ship called Enterprise.  It'd make the continuity jibe.  

LiJ--who wouldn't mind taking a stab at writing an Enterprise episode.

:music: Main Title from The Last Starfighter

That was very confusing for me at first. I thought you were talking about TPM, not TMP, and then you mentioned Anakin's Theme, so I thought...

Actually, I am a fan of musical nods, and I think that that would be an interesting idea, mixing TPM and TMP. However, I don't think that if they do a new theme for Enterprise that they should use TPM. That would get too many complaints. However, you are right. TMP would be a very good idea.

~Conor

I think you still do not understand, Conor.

The Lord Is Judge :music: probably ment that he wanted Jerry to write a theme that has subtle influences of the famed Star Trek/Enterprise theme from TMP worked into it.

Like Anakin's Theme from Star Wars: Ep I has The Imperial March interwoven in it.

And personally i think it is a very BAD idea to have music from Ep I in Enterprise or any Star trek series.

Actually it's also a very bad idea to have music from Ep I in any other Star Wars film. :|

But that's a whole other debate.

Stefancos- thinking that he should find out what the real first name of The Lord Is Judge is. :?

To bad you don't have the bowels to sign in

I thought I made this clear yesterday Justin, that I won't be logged in until I get my new puter system hooked up.

I think you still do not understand, Conor.

The Lord Is Judge  :music: probably ment that he wanted Jerry to write a theme that has subtle influences of the famed Star Trek/Enterprise theme from TMP worked into it.

Oh, I understand that bit, but when I first read that post, I had TPM in my head, so I was really confused. I had no clue what the connection was. But I figured it out as soon as I finished the post. And what I meant by the musical nod thing is just I like to hear parts of music in other music, kind of like the 1941/JAWS thing, only more subtle than that. But it's hard to explain because I have no logic and reasoning behind the connections. I just like to hear it. I think that it would be an interesting, albeit awful, idea to use TPM in Star Trek.

~Conor

I like to hear parts of music in other music, kind of like the 1941/JAWS thing, only more subtle than that.

You do realize that the Jaws music was just tracked into 1941 right? The original cue that Williams wrote for 1941 can be heard on the album (and is more subtle), while the film substitues it for a portion of "The Empty Raft", from the original Jaws. It literally is Jaws music, and not just an homage.

Neil

[

You do realize that the Jaws music was just tracked into 1941 right?  The original cue that Williams wrote for 1941 can be heard on the album (and is more subtle), while the film substitues it for a portion of "The Empty Raft", from the original Jaws.  It literally is Jaws music, and not just an homage.

Neil

Never noticed,I'll listen to both vesions.

K.M.

Of course if Jerry does write something for the show it will sound just like something else he wrote, which sounded like something else he wrote, and so on and so on.  

You could say that in 95 as well, but Goldsmith is obviously motivated when writing for Star Trek.