Recently Purchased Video Games

Jay

Just ordered The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection for $15 and $20 respectively, both for PS4. Thank you slickdeals.

51fR72yjSFL.jpg (401×500)  91ymHXDTSuL._SL500_.jpg (401×500)

I have no interest in revisiting Nathan Drake in HD (I've already played the second game a number of times), but eventually I'm going to buy The Last of Us again, which will make it my third time playthrough. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Wait you got a PS4?

Not yet, but expect to  by Christmas.  Finally joining you guys in the world of modern gaming!

On 6/17/2016 at 2:35 AM, Lonnegan said:

I have no interest in revisiting Nathan Drake in HD (I've already played the second game a number of times), but eventually I'm going to buy The Last of Us again, which will make it my third time playthrough. 

I haven't owned a non-Nintendo console since the original XBox (and even then I only ever had Halo 1 and Halo 2 for that) so all these games are completely new to me.  I've never owned any of Sony's consoles.

Yeah I know, you've got some fine video game adventuring ahead of you. Just keep I'm mind that the design and look of Uncharted 1 is pretty outdated now, but they really leap ahead of it with Uncharted 2.

I'm really looking forward to checking them out, especially for $8.75 each!  Woohoo!

BTW, these are the other PS4 games I have on my radar, to purchase when they drop below ~$10 or ~$15 (depending on title)

Alien Isolation

Batman: Return to Arkham

Batman: Arkham Knight

Final Fantasy 7 HD

Final Fantasy 10 / 10-2 HD

Final Fantasy 12 The Zodiac Age HD

Final Fantasy 15

Life Is Strange

Resident Evil Origins Collection

Resient Evil 2 HD

Resident Evil 4 HD

Resident Evil 5 HD

Resident Evil 6 HD

Resident Evil 7

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

That should keep me busy for ages, though I'm open to other must-plays as well

Probably will check out Journey and Flower, but as digital downloads not physical discs

I'm seemingly one of the few who wasn't as enchanted by Journey as much as everyone else was. Got pretty far into it it, but never did see it to the end. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I picked up a PS4 this weekend!  Got an amazing deal at Target where I got the new slim model for $218 and that included Uncharted 4 (on physical disc).  Woohoo!!

5389000_sd.jpg (642×306)

They also were having a Buy 2 Get 1 sale on all video games, so I picked up Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, and Life is Strange for $40 total ($13.33 each)

life-is-strange-box.jpg (276×320)   large.jpg (260×300)   51oviFatVZL._SY300_QL70_.jpg (242×300)

My PS4 game collection is now:

Uncharted 1-3 (Nathan Drake Collection)
Uncharted 4

The Last of Us

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection

Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD

Resident Evil 4 HD

Resident Evil 5 HD

Life is Strange

That's 12 games that I only paid $100 for, average $8.33/game!  Wow!

The PS4 slim

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I picked up a PS4 this weekend!  Got an amazing deal at Target where I got the new slim model for $218 and that included Uncharted 4 (on physical disc).  Woohoo!!

5389000_sd.jpg (642×306)

They also were having a Buy 2 Get 1 sale on all video games, so I picked up Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, and Life is Strange for $40 total ($13.33 each)

The PS4 slim does not have an optical output, which would have been a deal breaker for me since I can't hook it up to my receiver.to get surround sound ( my TV doesn't output Surround sound via optical)

If I had waited all this time for a slim, I'd still have to buy the Pro model.

And at this point, if I ever got another console, I'd wait and see what the Xbox Scorpio is all about instead of upgrading my PS4 to a PS4 pro model

I'd have possibly returned to Microsoft and their next beefy console had my Destiny account and progress not been tied to PSN. That one factor effectively blocks any switch to another console platform for me. 

If money grew on trees I'd of course just opted for a PS4 Pro instead, but when I could get a slim w/ Uncharted for for $218, vs Pro v/ no games for $399, the choice was obvious for me.  Especially I don't have a 4K TV, don't plan on getting a 4K TV, and don't care about fancy textures and stuff in the games.  The games already look amazing on this system I don't care about a slight graphical upgrade.

And yes I am in the same position where my receiver also doesn't have any HDMI inputs, and my TV doesn't output surround over its optical out, so i will simply be playing the PS4 in stereo until we get a new receiver someday.  Doesn't matter to me at all, the games will still sound amazing in my setup.

Yeah I don't have 4K tv yet either, nor VR for that matter. But a 60fps target is absolutely key for me in the latest games, particularly shooters. So that is 100% my main motivation for possibly upgrading to what is actually a superb value piece of gaming hardware.  

In most of the games I play I don't even notice the frame rate unless it slows down to less than 10 or something

I care mostly about general image quality like how the textures are and stuff

There's basically no RPG's that take advantage of the Ps4 Pro, except Shadow of Mordor

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5054-ps4-pro-s-launch-line-up-includes-a-handful-of-titles-for-rpg-fans

I plan to play it eventually, of course. But I can wait a bit for this game until there's a good sale or I can borrow from the library.

I'm disappointed it's random encounters though. No matter how retro you want to be , it sucks they'd still use that system in 2016.

No, they haven't released any games for xbox360, PS3 or PS 4 here

But I saw Dragon Quest XI previews and I'd like to play it if they localize it

Well Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Builders is on the PS4...

But yes Dragon Quest 11 is already announced as coming to the PS4 in the US.

It's so funny you love JRPGs but refuse to get a Nintendo 3DS; Dragon Quest 4-9 are all available on that system on top of boat loads of other JRPGs.

On 2016-11-08 at 9:41 AM, Jay said:

It's so funny you love JRPGs but refuse to get a Nintendo 3DS; Dragon Quest 4-9 are all available on that system on top of boat loads of other JRPGs.

I don't want to play handheld games , I've said that many times.

also I've never run out of games to play on the consoles I've had...so there's also a time limitation. Usually new games come out faster than the time I take to finish the ones I have. I average about 20 games that I complete every year, each taking from a week to about a month to finish

• 2 weeks later...

Got a 1TB PS4 slim today. €299. Ratchet and Clank came free with it. Got Battlefront for €19.99 and the two Tomb Raiders for €40 each. Just have to wait until Xmas to play them! 

• 5 months later...

Got the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga on PC for 5 dollars. Great value, the game holds up except for the parts that don't (pretty much anything involving vehicular combat or platforming). 

I also bought Mortal Kombat X for the PS4 after I realized that I've never owned a proper fighting game. It looks and plays great, though the side-scrolling format has been throwing me off a bit (lots of accidental jumps).

20 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Got the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga on PC for 5 dollars. Great value, the game holds up except for the parts that don't (pretty much anything involving vehicular combat or platforming). 

I also bought Mortal Kombat X for the PS4 after I realized that I've never owned a proper fighting game. It looks and plays great, though the side-scrolling format has been throwing me off a bit (lots of accidental jumps).

Lego Star Wars: TCS is pretty good, but it's also the LEAST of the Lego games in that style (by virtue of being the earliest).  Strong recommendation for the other two Star Wars ones, the Marvel and DC ones, and LOTR/Hobbit (as long as you can handle Hobbit stopping 2/3 of the way through and never wrapping up).

On 5/18/2017 at 8:36 AM, mstrox said:

Lego Star Wars: TCS is pretty good, but it's also the LEAST of the Lego games in that style (by virtue of being the earliest).  Strong recommendation for the other two Star Wars ones, the Marvel and DC ones, and LOTR/Hobbit (as long as you can handle Hobbit stopping 2/3 of the way through and never wrapping up).

Technically portions of Complete Saga are later than the others, seeing how CS is actually the third Lego release.

I personally lost interest in the film adaptations when they went with voice acting.

11 hours ago, Fal said:

Technically portions of Complete Saga are later than the others, seeing how CS is actually the third Lego release.

I personally lost interest in the film adaptations when they went with voice acting.

Agreed - the cutscenes are all annoying and overlong.  However, the gameplay only gets better and better.  Bring a book so you have something to do during the story ;)

14 hours ago, Fal said:

The voice acting completely undermines the charm the Lego games originally had, not helped that the lines and readings themselves range from uninspired to awful.  It would have been infinitely more fun had they the same actors do the classic wordless Lego grunts.

On the plus side, having all of the original sfx and dialogue makes it easier to undo tracked music and restore alternates in the film ;)

• 1 month later...

Picked up Audiosurf 2 on Steam for 5 dollars.  Like the first game, it's a fun (if a bit imprecise*) way for gamers to experience their music libraries.  The new modes are amusing but aren't as replayable as the classic mode.

*the procedurally generated nature of the game leads to extra notes where there aren't any in the music and some missed sync points.  

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition for Christmas from my In-laws!

Image result for horizon zero dawn complete edition

Can't wait to play it, but I have several games I need to finish up first

-Zelda BOTW

-Mario Odyssey

-Bayonetta

-Metroid Samus Returns

-Thimbleweed Park

I know, I meant to post about that.  Was going to say something like: it figures as soon as I take the shrinkwrap off my rare Wii U release of Bayonetta 2 w/ Bayonetta 1 included (it was only included on early pressings and later replaced with a 1disc release without Bayonetta 1), they'd announce a port for the Switch.  D'oh!  

I'll just finish my progress on the Wii U one, since I'm already in chapter 3 I think

Mark once again you have no idea what you're talking about.  Bayonetta 3 is coming to the Switch this year as a brand new game, they are just being nice and porting the first two so new players have a chance to catch up before it comes out.  Also Bayonetta 1 came out barely over 8 years ago, and Nintendo's only charging $30 each for Bayonetta 1 & Bayonetta 2 ports.  Nice try, though.

how do you know you'll like the first one. It's a pretty hard core action game and difficult too

not sure i'll play too well with those switch controls

1 hour ago, king mark said:

how do you know you'll like the first one. It's a pretty hard core action game and difficult too

Uhhh....

On 11/3/2017 at 12:04 PM, Jay said:

Well, instead of going back to Zelda or Mario, I started a new game :P   Has anyone here played Bayonetta?

b417aa29997611495313677729e3e775.jpg

It's a PS3 game from 2010 that got a Wii U port in 2014 as a free bonus with the Wii U exclusive Bayonetta 2, and that in and of itself is kind of the story because this is a hardcore M game with tons of swears, extreme violence, and an extremely sexualized main character, and its kind of amazing that I'm not only playing it on a Nintendo system, but it was PUBLISHED by them and they put the character in Smash and gave her an Amiibo.  But that's all just trivial if the game itself is meaningless, but I've found it fun so far!

I played for about 2 hours and got through all the prologue stuff and Chapter 1.  It's a hack and slash game with a pretty detailed combo and evade system, so I don't think you can just button mash your way through it (I felt like I just scraped by Chapter 1 as I was learning the combo system along the way).

It's actually super fun to play; You don't just punch and kick the basic enemies, Bayonetta has guns not only in both hands but on both feet as well, and you have unlimited ammo, so can brutally attack one enemy at a time or a whole bunch at once pretty easily, and watching Bayonetta acrobatically fly around killing every one is the main draw of the game I suppose.  

The bosses are even more fun than the basic enemies; You have to learn their attack patterns and dodge at just the right time to strike with massive damage.  And when you beat them, you do this crazy finishing move where all of Bayonetta's clothes come off and her hair forms a giant demon that kills the boss and take them to hell or something.  The plot is actually pretty incomprehensible, but it doesn't really matter much anyway.

I think one of the problems I had with Mario was that it was another big, open, exploration based game I was playing too soon after Zelda, so switching to a hack and slash I can beat in a week or less is the palette cleanser I need before going back in I think.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

not sure i'll play too well with those switch controls

The Switch Pro Controller is basically an exact clone of the XBox 360 controller. 

Image result for switch pro controller vs xbox controller

Why do you spout so much nonsense about the Switch instead of actually researching your claims first?