Recently Purchased Video Games

Jay

I recently bought The last of us 2. But unfortunately, I don't have time to start playing it. But I hope that by the end of the year I will have passed this masterpiece from the gaming industry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a TON of stuff on sale in teh Switch eShop currently, I picked up 2 things for under $5 each

9965d3b6705679296249992ccb9445edb68c46f0 w500.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I hate it when that happens

I hope to play this on the tele as much as I can this weekend, especially with the nice long weekend ahead of us.

Unfortunately with 2 of us trapped in a pandemic winter storm, that probably won't be possible much.

Oh, maybe I'll hook the Switch up to the basement telly...

• 5 months later...
28 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Last Of Us Part II finally showed up somewhere for $20, so I picked it up!

Maybe this will finally get me to start playing video games again after basically not playing any for months now

Like with most Naughty Dog titles, I've played this with enthusiasm for a while, then got to a basement level full of zombies and military guys and zero sight and got stressed out and haven't touched it in a few months. I should get back to it and finish the game before my new Switch arrives…

(I've also avoided the video game thread ever since this came out for fear of spoilers. I figured I'd be the only one here who still hasn't played it)

I do not believe anyone talked about the plot of that game in the video game thread at all

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/21 at 12:11 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Like with most Naughty Dog titles, I've played this with enthusiasm for a while, then got to a basement level full of zombies and military guys and zero sight and got stressed out and haven't touched it in a few months. I should get back to it and finish the game before my new Switch arrives…

(I've also avoided the video game thread ever since this came out for fear of spoilers. I figured I'd be the only one here who still hasn't played it)

The biggest spoiler of the game is revealed very early on. 

I bought Spider-man Miles Morales along with the DLC for the original game.

Got Jurassic World Evolution 2 and Assassins Creed Valhalla for Christmas

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The biggest spoiler of the game is revealed very early on. 

That part I've already played, but I still haven't continued since my previous post.

I got a Nintendo gift certificate for Christmas, so I picked up CupheadGiana Sisters, and Bomberman for the Switch.

• 6 months later...

Best Buy is selling Age of Calamity and Skyward Sword HD for 30 bucks each so I finally picked 'em up

Front Zoom. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch  HACPAZ89A - Best Buy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For the first Christmas in a while, I didn't get any video games gifted

What about you guys - what new games have ya'll added to your collection this holiday season?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

For the first Christmas in a while, I didn't get any video games gifted

What about you guys - what new games have ya'll added to your collection this holiday season?

Nothing for me either.

I got $75 in eShop gift cards but haven't decided how to spend it.  I'm casting an appraising eye at the current eShop sale, but I might hold on to my credits a while longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having an issue in recent years where my drive to play games just isn't there for a multitude of reasons, but ever since buying a new PC in 2021 and a Steam Deck last month, I've been more eager to try out various titles (even if I won't get to them for a good bit).

So since October 2021, I've gotten most of these on sale:
-LEGO Batman Trilogy (w/ LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Season Pass)
-LEGO DC Super-Villains Deluxe Edition

-Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition

-Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition

-Injustice 2 Legendary Edition

-Prince Of Persia Franchise

-Terraria

-Horizon Zero Dawn

-Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
-Transformers: War For Cybertron

-Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

-Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered

-Guilty Gear Franchise

-Celeste
-STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order Deluxe Edition
-SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated
-LEGO® Star Wars™: The Skywalker Saga Galactic Edition
-Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition
-LEGO® Indiana Jones™: The Original Adventures
-LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™

-Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Some of these I would've already owned on other platforms, but it was nice to have everything under one roof (especially now with the portable factor in mind). In the case of the two Transformers games, I had to buy them elsewhere (eBay for WFC and Amazon for a Steam code of FoC) as a result of them otherwise being de-listed per the license expiring.

I'm sure it'll be ages before I get to much of them (seeing as my Nintendo backlog already is large as is), but I am happy to support a few of these companies for the products they released.

On 26/01/2023 at 10:56 PM, HunterTech said:

-Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered

-Transformers: War For Cybertron

-Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Is GBTVG remastered much different than the original release? Still have my original copy so haven't made the jump on it yet. The two Transformers titles are great, did you ever play Devastation?

The last game I bought was the collector's edition of Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed, which had been delayed over a month from the regular release. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but the price difference compared to what you get in the regular edition is the most frustrating part. The game itself is a lot of fun, the controls being very intuitive for both busters and ghosts. And being able to create your own ghostbuster allows you to put yourself in the game, would like there to be the same option for ghosts though. I'd say the only real problem with the game is it's lack of levels. Having only 5 levels at launch is frustrating because there's so little in variety between them, especially when grinding to upgrade your Ghostbusters gear it can make gameplay very repetitive.

21 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Is GBTVG remastered much different than the original release? Still have my original copy so haven't made the jump on it yet. The two Transformers titles are great, did you ever play Devastation?

Apparently it's exactly the same, but with a much more bloated file size. I certainly couldn't tell much of a difference between both in the brief time I checked either copy, and I doubt it's just for improved comparability if my newish PC can play a pirated copy of the original fine. It was $6.24 however, so it ended up being preferable to buying a copy of the physical PC disc. So for now, my Steam Deck has the remaster, while my PC keeps the original for file size sake.

I couldn't play Devastation for the longest time, since my old PC wasn't good enough to run it, and I didn't own any game system it released on. Unfortunately, since it wasn't on Amazon with the other Activision games, finding a Steam code nowadays looks to be a very expensive endeavor. I would probably need to borrow a PS4 and buy a copy somewhere, which is unfortunate.

On 31/1/2023 at 9:13 AM, karelm said:

I'm thinking of getting No Man's Sky.  Worth getting?

It wasn’t at launch but I’ve heard great things about it since. It’s essentially a different game with all the changes and new additions over the years.

Should be relatively cheap these days, no?

On 30/01/2023 at 4:10 AM, HunterTech said:

Apparently it's exactly the same, but with a much more bloated file size. I certainly couldn't tell much of a difference between both in the brief time I checked either copy, and I doubt it's just for improved comparability if my newish PC can play a pirated copy of the original fine. It was $6.24 however, so it ended up being preferable to buying a copy of the physical PC disc. So for now, my Steam Deck has the remaster, while my PC keeps the original for file size sake.

Ah so I'm on Xbox and have seen the remaster for sale in the Microsoft store, having only played the 360 version was curious if there was really any difference, at least in the graphics because they added the "Realistic" version later to the original I believe. So maybe that's where the file size difference comes from?

On 30/01/2023 at 4:10 AM, HunterTech said:

I couldn't play Devastation for the longest time, since my old PC wasn't good enough to run it, and I didn't own any game system it released on. Unfortunately, since it wasn't on Amazon with the other Activision games, finding a Steam code nowadays looks to be a very expensive endeavor. I would probably need to borrow a PS4 and buy a copy somewhere, which is unfortunate.

That's such a shame, especially if you're a G1 fan. What did you think to the WFC games?

35 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Ah so I'm on Xbox and have seen the remaster for sale in the Microsoft store, having only played the 360 version was curious if there was really any difference, at least in the graphics because they added the "Realistic" version later to the original I believe. So maybe that's where the file size difference comes from?

That's such a shame, especially if you're a G1 fan. What did you think to the WFC games?

I'm fairly certain the more cartoon-y graphics were only ever in the PS2/Wii releases, since every other console version has the realistic graphics. It's more likely that since modern studios have more trouble in bothering with compacting the game assets into a reasonable file size, the ones in charge of the remaster just left it like that. Haven't gotten far in either though, so I'll see if I can pick up on much.

I haven't gotten far into WFC, as I'm less fond of playing games in front of the television nowadays. But seeing as it's my first experience with a third person shooter, it's fun enough (if maybe a bit brainless at a lesser difficulty). I'm sure I'll get a PS3 copy of it and Devastation on my Steam Deck once I set certain things up.

On 03/02/2023 at 4:37 AM, HunterTech said:

I'm fairly certain the more cartoon-y graphics were only ever in the PS2/Wii releases, since every other console version has the realistic graphics. It's more likely that since modern studios have more trouble in bothering with compacting the game assets into a reasonable file size, the ones in charge of the remaster just left it like that. Haven't gotten far in either though, so I'll see if I can pick up on much.

Ah perhaps I'm misremembering, the more cartoon-y graphics were definitely on the PS2/WII, for some reason I thought when the 360 version was released it had a sort of basic style, that would be best to describe it, then had the realistic version added as a patch later. But as you say it's probably that the current studios had trouble with compacting all the assets into a reasonable file size.

On 03/02/2023 at 4:37 AM, HunterTech said:

I haven't gotten far into WFC, as I'm less fond of playing games in front of the television nowadays. But seeing as it's my first experience with a third person shooter, it's fun enough (if maybe a bit brainless at a lesser difficulty). I'm sure I'll get a PS3 copy of it and Devastation on my Steam Deck once I set certain things up.

Ah fair enough, from memory WFC was a fun story to play, but FOC was an improvement. Interesting that this is your first foray into third person, but like a lot of shooters it does kind of become rinse and repeat, which can make it brainless but sometimes (for me at least) it's nice to just pick up an controller and go, compared to online games. Also they try to make the alt modes work in a way that feels part of the gameplay, but it just mostly feels like a run button instead, if that makes sense?

As for Devastation it can quite easily go into the brainless kind of gameplay/story. But I think it's very much going for that style of story coming from shows of that era.