THE LAST JEDI - Target-Exclusive OST Album

Jay

I'm thankful looking back that at the ripe age of 4 my parents showed me the OT on VHS, two years later The Phantom Menace came out. I got to grow up on Jurassic Park, the prequels, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings! Unfortunately kids these days will have such cultural icons as The Avengers and Man of Steel to call their childhood!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I'm thankful looking back that at the ripe age of 4 my parents showed me the OT on VHS, two years later The Phantom Menace came out. I got to grow up on Jurassic Park, the prequels, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings! Unfortunately kids these days will have such cultural icons as The Avengers and Man of Steel to call their childhood!

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

My childhood icons were Indiana Jones and Christopher Reeve's Superman. Out of curiosity what are today's equivalents for children? The various Spider-men? Thor? Star-Lord? 

This kind of nostalgic outlook is not without bias, though. I also grew up on all of those films, but looking back at them as objectivelly as I can, I don't think that the youth of today has it any worst. Lord of the Rings and Empire Strikes Back are the only truly outstanding films in that bunch, and those kinds of movies are rare in any decade.

The others have their fair share of flaws just like any contemporary "big" film. Its actually the more flawed and jouvenile films of the bunch that are more nostalgic, because audiences are exposed to them at a more tender, impressionable age.

Meh, I've loved all my experiences with the Star Wars films. Rewatching them two years ago for a marathon, the prequels are a mess, but ultimately a bit of silly entertainment, just like the originals. I will say though, that comparing any of the prequels to The Avengers, I find that they display a great deal of creativity where The Avengers is a stylistically bankrupt 'Witty Banter Hour with Superheroes'. 

58 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

This kind of nostalgic outlook is not without bias, though. I also grew up on all of those films, but looking back at them as objectivelly as I can, I don't think that the youth of today has it any worst. Lord of the Rings and Empire Strikes Back are the only truly outstanding films in that bunch, and those kinds of movies are rare in any decade.

The others have their fair share of flaws just like any contemporary "big" film. Its actually the more flawed and jouvenile films of the bunch that are more nostalgic, because audiences are exposed to them at a more tender, impressionable age.

My comment was more about the characters as film idols rather than the films themselves anyway. But did I misunderstand you or was it implied that you don't think the Raiders movies were important or memorable in their time? Because I'd hugely disagree. Also, LOTR and ESB are from different eras. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

The Avengers is a stylistically bankrupt 'Witty Banter Hour with Superheroes'. 

That's true. Its not a straightforward action film and certainly not an action-drama. Its an action-comedy. But, for what it is, its so much ^$%#ing fun!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

But did I misunderstand you or was it implied that you don't think the Raiders movies were important or memorable in their time? Because I'd hugely disagree. 

I like Indiana Jones for what it is: quick action-adventure movies. Beyond that, there's not much to them, dramatically speaking. I have a strong dislike for the comedy in Temple of Doom. There's even something about a lot of the deliveries in Raiders of the Lost Ark that rubs me the wrong way.

51 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I like Indiana Jones for what it is: quick action-adventure movies. Beyond that, there's not much to them, dramatically speaking. I have a strong dislike for the comedy in Temple of Doom. There's even something about a lot of the deliveries in Raiders of the Lost Ark that rubs me the wrong way.

I know what you mean. 

One big reason why that's so is undoubtedly that these are 80's movies. Times have changed, and a lot.

There can be no dispute that Indiana Jones was one of the most influential series of Hollywood movies of the 80s, "outstanding" for that very reason actually (among others). How they compare to today's movies isn't really relevant, other than I think the craftsmanship and skill in their making is far superior to their nearest modern equivalents. There's no comparison really. We're talking about movies made at the height of Spielberg's career. 

Yeah. Dismissing the Indiana Jones films as simply "quick action-adventure 80's movies", like they were Rambo, is a little ridiculous...not to mention somewhat ignorant of their place film history (especially the first one).  

I think to look at films as stepping stones of the industry eschews the discussion of the films' individual merits and demerits, which is what film criticism is all about.

I'm also not sure what this "influence", that Indiana Jones supposedly had on the industry, is supposed to be, besides it being part of the wave of blockbusters that had swept Hollywood at the time, and furthering the career of Steven Spielberg.

36 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think to look at films as stepping stones of the industry eschews the discussion of the films' individual merits and demerits, which is what film criticism is all about.

But you didn't even offer any film criticism to speak of (superficial throwaway claims don't count).

Oh, I didn't realize a 2,500-word essay on each Indy film was in due...;)

I like Indiana Jones (well, two of them) a lot. I just don't find it as outstanding as the aforementioned. Its just escapist, episodic, two-hour adventures with good characters and intriguing plots. The one that gets closest to anything in the way of drama is The Last Crusade with the father-son relationship.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

One big reason why that's so is undoubtedly that these are 80's movies. Times have changed, and a lot.

The 80s audience certainly had more of a taste to pure escapism in genre films, yes. They somewhat "grew-out' of that by the early 2000s, and somewhat regressed in this decade with all the shmarveling.

Well, you brought it up. Of course adventure movies are escapism and ultimately not covering any 'important' topics. But if we consider how many lousy movies have been made about important topics and how few letter-perfect adventure movies are out there, i think you should cut these films some slack.

There's a few certain movies I love which I enjoy watching purely to appreciate and pay special attention to the craft that went into their making. Raiders is one of them. It's a marvel on a technical proficiency level, but then there's the directorial flair running over the top of it which I still find immensely satisfying to analyse and absorb to this day. I haven't actually watched Raiders for around five years, but I know it'd still astound me as being the benchmark for the action adventure genre it is. 

A funny story from the Force Awakens soundtrack release- I lined up at target on the day the movie came out to get the soundtrack first thing that day, when I got there 10 minutes before they opened, I was surprised to see 10 people in front of me in line. I was shocked to see people line up for John Williams. Once they open up the doors everyone goes to the camera and pictures pick up line and to this day I have no idea what they were after. Such a weird experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

More importantly: confirms the 2 exclusive cards! WOOHOO!

Indeed! Exclusive cards for the win! Bring back fold-out posters!

I assume the pictures in post #1 of this thread are the Target version, due to the target symbol in the background:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28049-the-last-jedi-ost-album-track-list-revealed-temporary-thread/

It's a digipak.

Oh didn't realise, I've seen a mix here in Australia.

They only had the holographic digipaks at the TFA live to picture concert the other night, but my local hi-fi store only stocks the jewel case now.

You can pre-order either version for TLJ.

On 12/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, Arpy said:

@crumbs I rang a few stores and the deluxe hasn't been ordered by any of the JBHiFi stores. IIRC TFA's deluxe album wasn't in stores for about a week after initial release...

Checked out about 5 stores yesterday, no luck with the Deluxe. Seems to be online-only.

Bought the standard version today!

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Checked out about 5 stores yesterday, no luck with the Deluxe. Seems to be online-only.

Bought the standard version today!

I picked the standard up yesterday too, and yes, the deluxe is online only until a store makes a call to order stock in. 

Here are pictures of the Target version

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Essentially 100% identical to the standard US version, jut with those 2 cards inside.  You can compare directly to these pictures here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27689-the-last-jedi-disney-records-ost-no-track-titles-or-movie-spoilers-in-this-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1431305

Well, I thought it looked dumb when I first saw it, and maybe a bad photoshop?, but figured it would have some relevance or maybe look better in another angle.  However,

Spoiler

she doesn't wear anything like that in the movie, so it's just doubly dumb IMO

Maybe she wears it in a deleted scene.  They shot her doing more stuff on Ach-To, you can see it in the trailers

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Well, I thought it looked dumb when I first saw it, and maybe a bad photoshop?, but figured it would have some relevance or maybe look better in another angle.  However,

Hide contents

she doesn't wear anything like that in the movie, so it's just doubly dumb IMO

It's her costume during the inclement weather scenes (the cloak over her normal gear), just with a stylised red filter applied over the top. The arm cuffs are extended out as she's holding the lightsaber from that angle.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:54 AM, Nick1066 said:

Yeah. Dismissing the Indiana Jones films as simply "quick action-adventure 80's movies", like they were Rambo, is a little ridiculous...not to mention somewhat ignorant of their place film history (especially the first one).  

But but he's a PROFESSIONAL film critic.