James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

I'm not as familiar with this score as others - I noticed that "Never an Absolution" and "Hymm to the Sea" are on disc 3, and not part of the main score presentation.  What are they?

Just now, Jay said:

I'm not as familiar with this score as others - I noticed that "Never an Absolution" and "Hymm to the Sea" are on disc 3, and not part of the main score presentation.  What are they?

Never an Absolution I think was supposed to be the music for the god awful alternate ending. 

Hymn to the Sea is a concert piece. I think it was from Back to Titanic so created after the fact. 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

It was on the original release. And you call yourself a fan of that score!

I am so so bad with track titles. 

Was the alternate ending replaced with a different ending, and therefore a newly recorded score cue, or was it just sliced out of the film and not replaced with something different?

I can't believe 76 minutes of SOURCE music was recorded for this film!  That's gotta be the most ever for any film, right?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was the alternate ending replaced with a different ending, and therefore a newly recorded score cue, or was it just sliced out of the film and not replaced with something different?

Justin will know!

Just now, Stefancos said:

The song isnt on this?

Pass!

I'll give you my copy of the cassette single in return for a fixed JP booklet. 

I wonder why Horner decided to open his original OST album with the music for the finale of the film?  Did he already know the ending it scored had been cut by then?

Well I know what I'll be getting for Christmas now!

And so happy that that stupid song isn't on there, I actually prefer it that way. A bit of a shame that they failed to include the re-recordings from Back to Titanic, but then again I suppose it was never meant to be. Just can't wait for the Irish party music... and everything else...

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder why Horner decided to open his original OST album with the music for the finale of the film?  Did he already know the ending it scored had been cut by then?

Best listening experience?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

It is like if angels fly out of your arse!

It almost always amazes me how Irish people can have some of the worst Irish accents in Hollywood. 

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Colm Meaney?

Has he done an Irish accent in a Hollywood film? 

I don't count the Roddy Doyle stuff because that's made in Ireland. It seems to be when they go do something for Hollywood that it falls apart. 

36 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Does anyone know why they didn't do the * thing after the track names?

You mean for the main score part indicating which tracks were previously unreleased? It's not always contractually obligated to do that.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

You mean for the main score part indicating which tracks were previously unreleased? It's not always contractually obligated to do that.

Ah, I thought they were doing that for our convenience, not because they had to.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Deliberate creative decision?

Hot damn - a third Black Friday release I want!  Probably the one of the only two Horner expansions I dream of.  Other being Willow.  Not enough moola now though, and CE3K is the property. Hope this one sticks around for a while

I'm curious to know whether the track 'Unable To Stay, Unwilling To Leave' will feature the film or the album performance? Doesn't look like there's an alternate of any kind on disc 3, so it's surely one or the other?

I'm honestly happy for those who've been waiting for this, given how impactful the score was for quite a few members of the board, and obviously given the weight of losing Horner recently it makes it that much more meaningful, but I've never been a fan of this one.  Nice little melody, though.

It's not really a score I love but this release is necessary given how "impactful" it is. I'm quite happy to buy as there seems to be quite a lot of material to investigate.

But it appears Back to Titanic album is still worth keeping for 36 minutes of LSO material.

Karol

54 minutes ago, DolceMecha said:

I'm curious to know whether the track 'Unable To Stay, Unwilling To Leave' will feature the film or the album performance? Doesn't look like there's an alternate of any kind on disc 3, so it's surely one or the other?

Maybe the "film version" just an edit job of other cues?

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe the "film version" just an edit job of other cues?

It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I'm pretty sure the pipes that come in as Rose jumps off the lifeboat are a totally different performance (possibly even a different instrument) in the film and on the album.