James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

It's also just so amazing how he makes the happy, tender love theme sound so sad and hopeless. Death of Titanic is great at conveying the gravity of the situation with that theme alone. 

In an attempt to spur discussion regarding the differences between the new album and the score as heard in the film, I watched the movie and made a spreadsheet (Jay, using yours as inspiration):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I8v85oiT3yg8IL_hkMB1fm57kLX1aftI53jEO2pjfQc/edit?usp=sharing

I included timecode from the US Blu-ray to aide others in finding where cues begin and end in the film, although there's some leeway in those times and the length of cues (it can be difficult to hear within the mix). Cue titles follow the album where applicable and I created new titles where needed. I noted tracked cues where they were immediately obvious as I was working. The notes are by no means comprehensive, but I think they're a decent starting place.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

AH but the way he uses the love theme in the action music is superb. “The Sinking” and “A Building Panic” are superb tracks. 

One of the greatest Horner moments.

I still remember that moment in the theater.

1 hour ago, Colonial Marine said:

In an attempt to spur discussion regarding the differences between the new album and the score as heard in the film, I watched the movie and made a spreadsheet (Jay, using yours as inspiration):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I8v85oiT3yg8IL_hkMB1fm57kLX1aftI53jEO2pjfQc/edit?usp=sharing

I included timecode from the US Blu-ray to aide others in finding where cues begin and end in the film, although there's some leeway in those times and the length of cues (it can be difficult to hear within the mix). Cue titles follow the album where applicable and I created new titles where needed. I noted tracked cues where they were immediately obvious as I was working. The notes are by no means comprehensive, but I think they're a decent starting place.

I feel as though it is rather important to note that several of the film versions of the cues contain parts of or are comprised entirely of alternate versions, such as Leaving Port, Southampton, and A Promise Kept.

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Have you got a time stamp or do you mean the track in general? (Video is saying “not available”

What exactly is "Lament" on the Back to Titanic CD? I've seen it marked both as a traditional piece and as a James Horner composition. 

46 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Here's a question. Does the track on this album "Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave" have the Uilleann pipes in the mix or just the flute?

Pipes. 

The removal was done only for the film in post. 

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You are an ugly person, Bilbo.

Hey, you’re the one doing unspeakable shit for music. I just ask not to be informed about it!

I will not participate to this mudslinging campaign you want to drag me into. I will only say this: I know what you had to do in order to get the Titanic complete score released, and one day the details of this sordid affair will be brought in broad daylight, and on that day, you will feel sorry for having provoked me.

You know nothing BloodBoal

On 2/12/2017 at 3:00 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

On 2/12/2017 at 10:34 AM, BloodBoal said:

5:29

Oh yes, great moment. 

Reminds me somewhat of Shore using certain themes in "battle mode" in his Middle-earth scores! 

Does the first minute of Titanic Suite appear in the actual score anywhere?  I remember hearing a similar passage during one of the flyover shots of the sinking. Might be tracked from the dive sequence?

My set arrived in London yesterday (holy shit) - I *could* get it tomorrow!

25 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Does the first minute of Titanic Suite appear in the actual score anywhere?  I remember hearing a similar passage during one of the flyover shots of the sinking. Might be tracked from the dive sequence?

Titanic suite was created and recorded after the fact. 

He knows that, he's asking if the written music they chose to record as the suite stemmed from film cues.

Oh, my bad. 

The first minute of the Titanic Suite is adapted from the final minute Hymn to the Sea from the OST which is played at the very end of the end credits. I'm not sure if the full of HTTY is used but the first minute of Titanic Suite is how the end credits end (if my memory is correct). 

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The first little four note motif is indeed in the film a few times. You here it first in the beginning of 2 1/2 miles down when the sunken ship first comes into view. It's tracked throughout the sinking of the ship from that very cue like you said. It is also heard in a few other scenes, such as the end of the scene at the promenade and in Rose's Suicide Attempt, though I'm unsure if they're tracked in like in the sinking as I do not have the score yet. You were pretty much spot on. 

(Typed this on Friday but apparently forgot to submit it!)

I just finished listening to disc 2 and just started disc 3.

I totally see now why Horner opened his OST album with Never An Absolution; It's practically the same as the Logos music he wanted to open the film with, at least for the first ~2 minutes.

Do we have definitive proof that "Never An Absolution" was written for the deleted ending scene?  Well, I imagine it would make a great  bookend to the Logos track if placed where it would chronologically go, if that IS what it was written for.

Along those lines, the main score program as presented on discs 1 and 2 is pretty great, but it does somewhat peter out.  I'm fairly certain "Hymm To The Sea" was his intended End Credits cue, and I feel that really should have closed disc 2 here, not disc 3.  Easily enough change to make for my playlist of course.

The trailer cue is pretty neat, and I might just start my playlist with it!

Everything else on disc 3 is in the "fun to listen to" category, but not every time I want to listen to the score.  I think what I'll listen to 90% of the time will be disc 1 & 2 with Never An Absolution, Trailer, and Hymm to the Sea added, and 10% of the time I'll listen to the alternates too, if that.  Something like that

My copy arrived this morning! Less than a week after ordering it. That’s phenomenally quick for a delivery from California to rural Ireland! 

@La La Land Records you guys just keep on getting better!

I can listen to it this day 3 weeks 😂

Grrrrr! My package (Inc. CE3K) was in London yesterday at noon. Now I see it's back in LA!?! 

Anyone else had this happen?

On 2-12-2017 at 1:04 AM, lemoncurd said:

like I said before, I really cried when I heard the news about this release. But i have to say...... I really dont like the cover. :P First of all: there are no waves in the entire movie and also, Rose never had this blue dress. Is it actually a photoshopped version of the dark red one she is wearing at the party? anyway. #firstworldproblems

Well, blame whoever designed this poster back in '97.

titanic_ver3.jpg

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I ordered two hours after it became available. It hasn't even shipped. What's the USPS doing with this package?

If it hasn’t shipped then the USPS doesn’t have it yet

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Huh? My order says 'will ship in 4-7 days' and then 'USPS Shipment' in Tracking.

Does it have a tracking number?  If so, did you follow the tracking number link?  If so, what was the status?  It is possible for LLL to generate a tracking number before they actually ship yours.  I don't know why it would be days in advance though.

Update on mine: I just clicked my order from the initial confirmation and it has a status of SHIPPED AND OUT FOR DELIVERY!  Whoa!  I never got an email from LLL saying it shipped,  no "Employee3 has sent you a package."  So I just assumed it hadn't shipped yet!

8 hours ago, Fozmo said:

Grrrrr! My package (Inc. CE3K) was in London yesterday at noon. Now I see it's back in LA!?! 

Anyone else had this happen?

How disappointing, I'm hoping mine hasn't been sent back to LA on the USPS tracker it says Yesterday; departed london 13:27 - I will let you know if mine ends up back in LA

Ok, next question!

I'd assumed that 'Trailer' was going to be the music from this:  (it's the same length)

But the awesome percussive ending is different. Is this another case of Cameron removing most of the mix, or is something else playing there? (if the former, I really wish they'd included an alternate mix)

It is the music from that trailer, only it's what Horner intended (it actually fits perfectly). It's not that the mix was altered, it's that the second half of the trailer was completely replaced:

The music from 2:09 to the end of that trailer above was from Horner's score for "Courage Under Fire", specifically the cue "Al Bathra / Main Title" with a bit of similar-themed "Monfriez's Suicide" mixed in there.