James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's interesting to hear some of the alternates. Like that one Take Her to Sea, Mr Murdoch alternate cue that ends on this exciting flourish that make me almost feel "is this a nod to Williams' Superman or something?". Seems like Cameron toned down everything that wasn't streamlined and pop-like.

Karol

ha, true! :D but tbh it just doesnt feel right. It's interesting, of course, but IMHO it wouldve just been too much.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I have to ask, is anyone else waiting for their copy to ship, or is my order link just not updating properly?

Sometimes you don't get a notification. It's weird.

56 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So are you saying that, while my order status still says 'will ship in 4-7 days' after 9 days, it might already be on its way?

My order says the same thing.

Don't worry though. My E.T order still says it'll ship in 1-2 weeks and it was delivered 3-4 days after I ordered it (and I ordered it the night it was released) lol.

Both of our orders are probably well on their way and will be delivered soon :)

58 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

My order says the same thing.

Don't worry though. My E.T order still says it'll ship in 1-2 weeks and it was delivered 3-4 days after I ordered it (and I ordered it the night it was released) lol.

Both of our orders are probably well on their way and will be delivered soon :)

Thanks! I ordered this two hours after it became available too. Deleting the order link now.

18 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

Just put Leaving Port (Alternate) against the picture. It fits perfectly, from beginning to end. :) sooo interesting!

Leaving Port is my favorite new cue of the release.

I've done the entire film, making video sequences where the music plays, no dialogue.
Been doing it for years. Only reason I don't share them on YouTube is of course the copyright flags they get hit with. 

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Could anyone elaborate on the Building Panic track? I've read it's basically scattered score bits edited together, but LLL calls it a suite, so can it be considered as a concert work?

No, I think it was just an edit created specifically for Back to Titanic album.

Karol

Yea, it was just bits of various cues thrown together for the Back to Titanic album.  No REAL reason to include it on this release, but its nice they did for those who like the edits.

I suppose it's included so that every bit of score from the OST and BTT is included on the release and all that's left from BTT is the newly written suites and pieces inspired by the film. 

2 weeks to go!

I've been wondering about something. In the film version of "A Promise Kept", the beginning has synth choir playing on top of the low brass, separate from the raspy gasp sound that plays in that scene. Could that be taken from "2 1/2 Miles Down" or a similar cue?

3 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I've been wondering about something. In the film version of "A Promise Kept", the beginning has synth choir playing on top of the low brass, separate from the raspy gasp sound that plays in that scene. Could that be taken from "2 1/2 Miles Down" or a similar cue?

The film version of "A Promise Kept" uses both versions of the cue overlapping, (the version on disc 3 was originally called "A Promise Kept - 2nd part REVISED") in addition to a small section of "The Beacon: Those Who Have Gone Before" by Michael Stearns. 

1 hour ago, NL197 said:

The film version of "A Promise Kept" uses both versions of the cue overlapping, (the version on disc 3 was originally called "A Promise Kept - 2nd part REVISED") in addition to a small section of "The Beacon: Those Who Have Gone Before" by Michael Stearns. 

I don't think you understand my question. I'm speaking of the first part. In the movie, there are some ghostly voices that play over the opening that aren't present in the original album.

A soft ghostly synth tone over the music? That's from 'The Beacon'. Other than that all that's there is what's in the film's sound mix of water and distorted echoes of the crew speaking. It's the first thing heard over top of the cue. 

Apparently Employee2 shipped my copy yesterday :)

I was initially surprised to get a shipping notice a week after ordering but then I saw about the fire. Hope everyone is ok!

Can't wait to hear it! :D

The Bulk has spoken!

"Never an Absolution" is a combination of the cues "Logo 3" and "A Life So Changed". 

I suspect "Hymn to the Sea" was an end title composition in case the song wasn't used. This score didn't use traditional reel and part numbers to help with identification, and this cue was only referred to as "Hymn". As for why they are on disc 3, please note that disc 3 opens and closes just like the original soundtrack album.

Neil

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123920&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=544#bottom

14 hours ago, NL197 said:

A soft ghostly synth tone over the music? That's from 'The Beacon'. Other than that all that's there is what's in the film's sound mix of water and distorted echoes of the crew speaking. It's the first thing heard over top of the cue. 

Maybe I was mistaken. I'll try to find a video explaining what I mean, though. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Maybe I was mistaken. I'll try to find a video explaining what I mean, though. Thanks.

All I did was look at the scene itself, listening to it. 

41 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is the source music on disc 4 chronological? I'm preparing a tracklist for when I get to open my copy on the 24th, but the chronological score blog lists an entirely different order for the source tracks.

I'll compare it to the cue sheet. 

If you're going for as strict as you can, then technically "Nearer My God to Thee" is first since echoes of it are heard in the wreck exploration.

Most of the source music is cut up and heard repeatedly throughout the entire film. 10 second chunk here, 30 second chunk there, that sort of thing. 

The source music disc is as chronological as it can be if you go by the significance of their usage rather than the chopped up placement in the film (the Gaelic Storm music is chronological and doesn't repeat, and "Nearer My God To Thee" is last, because it's significant use is last in the film)

What I'm saying probably doesn't make much sense, it's hard to really explain it. 

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Is the source music on disc 4 chronological? I'm preparing a tracklist for when I get to open my copy on the 24th, but the chronological score blog lists an entirely different order for the source tracks.

In going back to my original list and removing the cues by James Horner, this is what I have for all of the I Salonisti and Gaelic Storm tracks.  They are listed once for each time they are heard in the film, in the order they are heard.  Without having the cue sheet there are likely a few I have missed, but this is what I have identified.

Valse Septembre - I Salonisti (3:43)
Marguerite Waltz - I Salonisti (2:34)
Wedding Dance - I Salonisti (2:30)
Poet and Peasant - I Salonisti (6:48)
Oh, You Beautiful Doll - I Salonisti (2:12)
Blue Danube - I Salonisti (6:55)
Song Without Words - I Salonisti (2:37)
Estudiantina - I Salonisti (3:11)
Blarney Pilgrims - Gaelic Storm (2:11)
John Ryan’s Polka - Gaelic Storm (2:53)
Kesh Jig - Gaelic Storm (1:59)
Drowsy Maggie Dance - Gaelic Storm (1:22)
Vision of Salome - I Salonisti (2:42)
Méditation de Thaïs - I Salonisti (4:25)
Titsy Bitsy Girl - I Salonisti (1:35)
Alexander’s Ragtime Band - I Salonisti (2:28)
Oh, You Beautiful Doll - I Salonisti (2:12)
Sphinx - I Salonisti (3:48)
Barcarole - I Salonisti (3:31)
Orpheus - I Salonisti (8:40)
Estudiantina - I Salonisti (3:11)
Blue Danube - I Salonisti (6:55)
Nearer My God to Thee (Extended Version) - I Salonisti (3:14)

What's interesting about this release is that it doesn't feel longer than the OST. Perhaps because the additional material brings some variety to the playlist. 2 hours go by in no time.

Karol

Has anyone re-assembled the four discs into their own assembly of the score, using alternates and source music? IMO, the usage of Nearer My God To Thee at the end of the sinking is crucial to the film score, so I'll probably move that around once I get the set.

I always make my own custom presentations if the material warrants it. This does because I want to hear the score in it's  proper order with the film version cues on disc 3 replacing their OST counterparts on disc 1, but I never integrate source music into the score playlist. It's never been my preference as a listening experience to do that.

Actually, there's still one cue missing.... Eternal Father, Strong To Save. :blush2:  I take it for anglo-american audiences it's a well known if not mundane song. But I heard it in this movie for the first time (I was 11 back then...). I really like the film's version, especially Kate Winslet's last words.

So where did James Horner track the music from thats used for Rose's suicide attempt in the movie? (only the first part of it seems to be from the actual track)

Always liked that piece, but I am bad with looking for it in the actual soundtrack

2 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

So where did James Horner track the music from thats used for Rose's suicide attempt in the movie? (only the first part of it seems to be from the actual track)

Always liked that piece, but I am bad with looking for it in the actual soundtrack

Horner didn't - let's make that clear. 
Cameron and editors did. 

Anyway, the film edit of "Rose's Suicide Attempt" (lame trivia, Horner titled the actual cue without the word 'suicide' in the title)

is a mix of the actual cue, combined with the OST version of 'A Promise Kept'.