James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

33 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So, NL, if you had to make a rough estimate, how closely would you say the film concert leak thingy matches the real film score? Like 95%?

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Probably a bit less that. The bits I'm aware of:

- Opening - something's wrong/different about the voice solo near the start

- pre-credits/finale cue - the transition into the Unwilling alternate is slightly different in the film

- The cue tracked from another score/album during Jack's death.

The differences make it feel to me like someone with the sessions recreated the film mix for the projection preparation, and didn't quite get some of the edits right. If the leak were taken from the actual stem, surely they'd only be fiddling with layers, not edits?

Yes exactly, and that "2 1/2 Miles Down" film edit is full of differences, the 'Violin Tool kit' is heard twice in the actual film mix, not once like this concert stem thing. None of the source music is right - it's missing all the sweeteners to give it the ghostly, distant sounds. Some of the transitions are wrong. 

You nailed the other two: The film edit transition between "Rose" and "Unwilling to Stay..." uses the opening to "An Ocean of Memories", specifically the light chimes. 

The film used "The Beacon" by Michael Stearns, and it's not in this film stem thing either.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You forgot the whoosh noise when the iceberg is seen

You're right :)

6 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Trapped on D Deck also has a synth overlay.

I Won't Let Go is like a rough synth demo.

No one wanted that iceberg sound effect, Jay. Not even me.

The film stem thing has the driving, thumping bass line from "Take Her To Sea, Mr Murdoch" in it, but you don't hear that in the film. It doesn't even work there anyway. 

The iceberg effect, if you're referring to that metallic sweep in the sound mix, I wanted it, and I got it and used it in my custom of the score. I think it's a cool transition for the entire film and score. 

I don't mind differences in mixing like removing the Uilleann pipes from "Unable To stay..." or amping up the bass line in "Take Her To Sea" , some of those work and work well. It's the chopped up, cut up, tracked, looped, thrown into a blender and turned into confetti nonsense I don't care for when it comes to "film mixes". It's two different things really: Film MIXES versus Film EDITS. 

Film edits largely suck. 

Just now, Bilbo said:

When people talk about the film stem leak are they talking about the document from a few pages back or an actual music leak?

Actual music. 

It was used as a sort of template for the "Titanic Live" concerts which is why it's different from the actual in-film music stem. 

2 hours ago, NL197 said:

I don't mind differences in mixing like removing the Uilleann pipes from "Unable To stay..." or amping up the bass line in "Take Her To Sea" , some of those work and work well. It's the chopped up, cut up, tracked, looped, thrown into a blender and turned into confetti nonsense I don't care for when it comes to "film mixes". It's two different things really: Film MIXES versus Film EDITS. 

Film edits largely suck. 

Except for the edit of Hymn to the Sea in 2 1/2 Miles Down film version.

29 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Except for the edit of Hymn to the Sea in 2 1/2 Miles Down film version.

I agree on that one. That one worked. 

I love how this release forces the hands of all the complete/chronological nuts. There's no "correct" way to listen to it. Thanks to all the revisions and tinkering, you'll never have a proper complete chronological Titanic by design. Guess we'll just have to make musical sense of this leviathan rather than reorder tracks to follow the movie's narrative.

That's why I'm not interested in those film edits that certain people have obsessed over. I don't find listening to a butchered presentation appealing. Mine took the 'film version' cues - the bonus cues on disc 3 - and replaced the OST versions with them. Aside from that were minor things like audio adjustments and refinements. 

8 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I love how this release forces the hands of all the complete/chronological nuts. There's no "correct" way to listen to it. Thanks to all the revisions and tinkering, you'll never have a proper complete chronological Titanic by design. Guess we'll just have to make musical sense of this leviathan rather than reorder tracks to follow the movie's narrative.

Its as the composer intended. That’s enough for me.

Yeah, it's kind of weird, why even fade that last note out at all? 

Dammit, where's that perfected 40th anniversary rerelease already? A music box and 5 random piano strikes make it essential!

Hello everyone!

I already heard about this film's music steam leak quite a few times before?

Is there any possibility to listen to that? Some people here on the forum said they used it for their custom edits. I would really like to listen to that concert leak as well. :)

Where was it found? 

I hope someone can help :)

I was looking for it on the internet and I tried to look for it with Google but without success, I could not find anything.. :/

@NL197, can you still remember where you found the leak?

On 11-5-2011 at 3:20 AM, Jay said:

08 - Discussion of music CDs before they are in stores (ie when they "leak" to the internet) is allowed, as is discussion of leaked recording sessions, sheet music, and other bootlegs. HOWEVER:

a) You may not post a link to, or name of, any site where this material can be illegally downloaded.

b) You may not offer on the public forums to send this material to anybody who PMs you.

c) You may not ask on the public forums for somebody to PM you a link to this material.

In other words: On the public forums, please discuss the music only, and not where to get it. This rule will be strictly enforced.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

If you see people on JWFan talking about a bootleg that you don't have, just PM one of the guys talking about it, instead of asking for links publicly.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Found a VHS tape today of Titanic documentaries I recorded March/April 1998.

Very interesting to see them again after so long but the adverts... I was shocked to see the Titanic OST actually advertised on tv! I couldn’t imagine that happening today. 

• 1 month later...

I've had the LLL release of the Titanic score since January of this year, and I even just finished creating the film edits.  Doing them, however, was quite difficult (especially "2 1/2 Miles Down") as some of the edits had multiple tracks overlapping each other.  I also had to recreate much of the unreleased material (e.g. Violin Tool Kit, Wild Piano, and the synth choir overlapping the trombones in "A Promise Kept").

That being said, I'm happy we finally got to hear the score in it's entirety.  My favorite tracks in the LLL release are "2 1/2 Miles Down"; the film versions of "Southampton", "Leaving Port", and "A Building Panic"; and "Trapped on D Deck".  I'd wish "Unable To Stay, Unwilling To Leave" without the Uilleann pipes, as well as the version with the flute ending heard at the end of the film just before "My Heart Will Go On", would get released.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, TitanicFan2018 said:

I've had the LLL release of the Titanic score since January of this year, and I even just finished creating the film edits.  Doing them, however, was quite difficult (especially "2 1/2 Miles Down") as some of the edits had multiple tracks overlapping each other.  I also had to recreate much of the unreleased material (e.g. Violin Tool Kit, Wild Piano, and the synth choir overlapping the trombones in "A Promise Kept").

That being said, I'm happy we finally got to hear the score in it's entirety.  My favorite tracks in the LLL release are "2 1/2 Miles Down"; the film versions of "Southampton", "Leaving Port", and "A Building Panic"; and "Trapped on D Deck".  I'd wish "Unable To Stay, Unwilling To Leave" without the Uilleann pipes, as well as the version with the flute ending heard at the end of the film just before "My Heart Will Go On", would get released.

With the amount of editing that was done to the score I'm happy with the way the score was released, except I do love the way Southampton opens in the film so I might edit the opening of the alternate version of Southampton D3 T6 with the OST track. I did also edit The Sinking with the music where the Grand Stair Case implodes and Death of Titanic as it makes the music flow so much better.

Another note to make.  The version of "Hard To Starboard" heard in the film has spots that are different from in the OST and LLL releases.  First, the music where the scene cuts to Mr. Andrews' headquarters (chandelier on the ceiling is shaking, as does his wine glass), the clarinet and percussion don't play until it cuts to where one of the lookouts utters "Jesus" under his breath as the ship continues scraping along the iceberg.  Second, in the scene where chunks of ice fall onto the ship and Jack gets Rose out of the way, the trombones phrase their notes different than in the OST and LLL versions; it is also heard where it cuts to the boat deck after Jack ramsdown the gate with a bench.  Jointy95 somehow found this version and used it while recreating the "A Building Panic" film edit.

If you skip to 2:41, you'll probably notice the trombone notes being phrased a bit different.

2:49 - 3:21 is the passage I'm talking about that's different from the versions that were released, both OST and LLL.

6 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Indeed. This set is still missing all the best parts.

Im sorry that I didn't build ya a more complete set, JWFan.

Won't you even make a try of it Mr Batman's Diet Coke?

12 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I hope we all enjoy our time together with the expanded release. And God rest Horner's soul. What a great man.

Can't argue with that. RIP JH.

I even saw on another forum that the film version of "Rose's Suicide Attempt" wasn't released.  But that's not actually true.  The film edit of "Rose's Suicide Attempt" uses the opening few seconds of that track (begins after "First Sighting" on the LLL album), but then the rest is the OST version of "A Promise Kept", with the opening trombone notes overlapping in some places.

12 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

sometimes I wonder if people are just trying to keep their hunger going

outside of the new 2 1/2 miles down, none of the movie edits are that interesting to me

I think so too. 

I downloaded a very good fan edit of the film edit but I only listened to it once it twice. The LaLaLand release is the best version of the score. This film is done there’s no need for anything else.

Some film edits are kind of important to me, like Leaving Port, Southampton and the Lovejoy Chase. Overall, I definitely prefer the LLL set, but that didn't stop me from downloading one good film edit of the score.