James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

Oh, and by the way, "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch" reminds me of Enya's "Book of Days", the section with the synth choir and thumping bass line, and especially if the bass line is bumped up (like in the film). 

James Cameron initially looked to Enya to compose the music for Titanic, but then Cameron called upon Horner to write the score.  And Horner incorporated Enya's style in some of the cues.

That's pretty common knowledge. The original trailer, known as the 'ShoWest' presentation, was a 5 minute reel with Book of Days playing in the same spots as the Horner-composed Titanic theme would in the theatrical trailer, which was a cut-down version of that ShoWest presentation. 

The trailer is here: 

Keep in mind this is a PAL sourced video, so the key is pitched up by 4 percent. Because of this pitch-shift, it sounds even closer to Titanic. 

The opening uses Pax Deorum before launching into some Alan Silvestri music if I recall, then you hear Book of Days. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, Chen G. said:

Yeah, highland pipes would've just been all wrong for the kind of music he wrote for the film.

As much as Highland pipes would be more ethnically appropriate, Uilleann pipes are far more versatile.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, Chen G. said:

Plus, good luck recording a highland bagpipe with an orchestra in a room. Brings to mind the horror stories of recording the rhaita in The Lord of the Rings.

Horror stories?  I thought the rhaita was recorded separately...  Anyway, as someone who's slowly learning to play the rhaita, I'd love to hear those horror stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, okay, so this is not about the LLL set, but seeing as this is a rather active topic, I'm posting here:

I ordered Back To Titanic a week or so ago from Amazon and got a CD in the mail today. Just ripped it and, well, it's not Back to Titanic, even though that's on the case. It's an 11-track album that contains Titanic music, but it's 'performed' by other people and the arrangements are really bad. It seems to contain a lot of BTT material, though. Does anyone have any idea what I just got? I can't find anything using a quick Google search.

Haha, if only.

EDIT: Okay, so it's this thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00007JSQR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why on earth do they name this album BTT too? Third-class behaviour!

42 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Haha, if only.

EDIT: Okay, so it's this thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00007JSQR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why on earth do they name this album BTT too? Third-class behaviour!

Look at the mp3/LP/cassette options on that link. They're all for the 'real' one. The CD option lists this one.

:eh:

My idea for a revised Titanic OST

1. Main Title

2. Distant Memories

3. Southampton (Film Version)

4. Leaving Port (Film Version)

5. Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch (Film Version)

6. Rose (Film Version)

7. Hard to Starboard 

8. A Building Panic

9. Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave

10. Trapped on 'D' Deck

11. The Sinking

12. Death of Titanic

13. A Promise Kept (Film Version)

14. A Life So Changed

15. An Ocean of Memories

16. My Heart Will Go On / Post

I did that and played it. It's certainly interesting and obviously a bit shorter than the original. 

Useless trivia: 

"Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch" was the first orchestral cue of the score to be recorded. Obviously the trailer had been done prior along with some of the synth work, but that was the first cue the orchestra had to play for the score proper. 

At one point a few years ago, there was a fan-made recreation of the Southampton film version cue (but just the first minute of the cue) on YouTube where the original uploader used a sophisticated composition program (like Logic Pro).  And it sounded just like the real thing.

On 2/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, NL197 said:

Useless trivia: 

"Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch" was the first orchestral cue of the score to be recorded. Obviously the trailer had been done prior along with some of the synth work, but that was the first cue the orchestra had to play for the score proper. 

I wonder if the ending for "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch - Revised" was recorded after the main cue.  The revised cue is the same as the OST version except for the ending (features octave strings, cymbal crashes, and ends with a brass fanfare).

Revised was recorded August 19th 1997. The original was recorded July 8, 1997. 
The cue in both versions was orchestrated by Don Davis. 

(edited date, I'd made a typo and put 18 instead of 8 )

1 hour ago, Lockdown said:

I add that to all my files!!

Well here goes....All dates in 1997 so I'm not typing the year out every time.

Synth / piano solo cue dates are not noted because I don't have specifics, only the window of dates in the LLL booklet. These dates are only for the orchestral parts.

DISC 1

1. Logo / Main Title 2:28 (August 18 )
2. 2 1/2 Miles Down 10:33 (July 11)
3. To the Keldysh (July 11) / Rose Revealed 1:43
4. Distant Memories 2:24 (July 11)
5. My Drawing / Relics & Treasures 1:52 (July 14)
6. Southampton 4:00 (July 8 )
7. Leaving Port 3:27 (July 8 )
8. Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch 4:31 (July 8 )
9. First Sighting / Rose’s Suicide Attempt 3:05 (July 10)
10. Jack Saves Rose 1:42 (July 10) 
11. The Promenade / Butterfly Comb 2:40
12. Rose 2:54 (July 11)
13. The Portrait 1:58
14. Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose 2:24
15. Lovemaking 2:26
16. Hard to Starboard (Extended Version) 7:42 (both July 9)
17. Rose Frees Jack 2:41

DISC 2

1. A Building Panic (Film Version) 7:25 (July 10 / August 19 for intro)
2. Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave 3:56 (July 8 )
3. Trapped on “D” Deck 8:46 (July 9 / August 19 for the end) 
4. Murdoch’s Suicide 0:37
5. The Sinking 5:06 (July 15)
6. Death of Titanic 8:25 (July 14)
7. A Promise Kept 6:03 (July 10)
8. A Life so Changed 2:14
9. A Woman’s Heart Is a Deep Ocean of Secrets 1:43
10. An Ocean of Memories 8:00 (July 10)
11. Post 2:44 (July 14)

DISC 3

1. Never an Absolution 3:06 (July 9) 
2. Trailer 4:12 (March 31)
3. The Portrait [Album Version] 4:43
4. Logo (Alternate Extended Version) 2:10
5. 2 1/2 Miles Down (Alternate) 1:36
6. Southampton (Alternate) 3:05 (August 18 )
7. Leaving Port (with Alternate Ending) 3:00 (July 8 ) 
8. Leaving Port (Alternate) 2:15 (August 18 )
9. Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch (Alternate) 4:29 (August 19)
10. Rose (Alternate) 2:58
11. Piano Theme—The Portrait 5:00
12. Lovejoy Chases Jack (Alternate) 1:55
13. Hard to Starboard (Alternate) 6:50
14. A Building Panic [Album Suite] 8:05
15. Death of Titanic (Alternate) 8:29 (August 19)
16. A Promise Kept (Alternate) 4:32 (August 18 )
17.Hymn to the Sea 6:26 (July 14)

Death of Titanic recorded twice?  That's interesting because I thought that the alternate cue on LLL disc 3 was the same recording as the OST version on disc 1 but without the synths; and the alternate version was also the film mix I think.

I've noticed some cues that have 'alternate' don't have a recording date (e.g. Rose, Hard to Starboard).  "Hard to Starboard (Alternate)" is also mixed different from the OST/extended version on disc 1 (though LLL opted to insert the OST mix of the trilling trumpets and low-brass iceberg leitmotif), but I believe it's the same recording as the OST version.  I don't know about "Rose".

Hello, finally I have some free time....and I "return" to this thread....what do I miss???
Today, I was listen to promise kept (film mix), and I notice some kind of a choir/voice effect over a promise kept track, and it seems that is missing from this lll release. So has anyone know what I'm talking about, and what is that track. It could be from other James Horner work, like they use braveheart for teaser trailer.....well, I'm going to listen some albuns to see if it matches.

Another question, the tracks that says REVISED, it's just the alternate version, right?

Not all cues have the dates listed because they weren't on the documentation. 

Correct, anything "Revised" is re-labeled as 'Alternate' on the LLL release. Example being "Southampton - REVISED" is changed to "Southampton (alternate)"

The film version of "A Promise Kept" used a piece from Michael Stearns' Encounters album called 'Beacon'. 

On 3/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, Jokerslb said:

Hello, finally I have some free time....and I "return" to this thread....what do I miss???
Today, I was listen to promise kept (film mix), and I notice some kind of a choir/voice effect over a promise kept track, and it seems that is missing from this lll release. So has anyone know what I'm talking about, and what is that track. It could be from other James Horner work, like they use braveheart for teaser trailer.....well, I'm going to listen some albuns to see if it matches.

Another question, the tracks that says REVISED, it's just the alternate version, right?

If you were hearing choir effects in a couple places before Michael Stearns "The Beacon", then it was probably my recreated "A Promise Kept" film mix.  The two choir-like synth overlays, I recreated myself and added in.

And like NL just said, any cue with "Revised" in its title was relabeled as "Alternate" on the LLL album.

Also to point out when I did my custom complete score, I relabeled some "Revised/Alternate" cues as "Film Version" and put them into the main program (esp. Southampton, Leaving Port, Rose).  But with "Take Her to Sea" I relabeled as "w/ Alt. Ending" and used the cue with the film version ending (alternate and OST combined) in the main program, and labeled as "film version".  I also labeled it such because I added in the heavier thumping bass line.

52 minutes ago, dougie said:

Anyone else prefer the SACD versions?

20181030_015205.jpg

Indeed. I love the 5.1 mixes. 

I made all three of those albums into one DTS-HD audio Blu-ray a few years ago. 

Matter of fact I used the 5.1 mix of that Titanic OST (which I'd originally had as the 1998 DTS Music Disc) to make choir-less versions of several cues of my custom presentation, and did a full stereo remix of the A Beautiful Mind OST using that 5.1 version because the stereo mix on that disc / audio CD was lacking. It had all the rear channel pianos missing from key cues like 'Cracking The Russian Codes'.  

Zorro on the other hand, was fantastic as a listen, 5.1 or stereo. 

1 hour ago, dougie said:

I was a bit disappointed that My Heart Will Go On wasn't in 5.1 on the multichannel layer. That was one I was looking forward to hearing.

It is in 5.1, it's the same mix as in the film's end credit: 

Dion's voice and Tony Hinnigan's kena are about the only things in the center channel along with a synthesized bass. The rear channels are silent for much of the first half except for some synth strings that come in during the chorus, and then when they appear for the second chorus, the strings play throughout the remainder of the song. See below: 

image.png

Have a listen here: 

https://instaud.io/3n7S

Of course the radio version produced by Walter Afanasshole or however it's spelled had the vocal spread across the front stereo channels while the rears had those backup singers. 

• 4 weeks later...

\

On 3/6/2019 at 8:19 AM, bollemanneke said:

Wow, the LLL set seems to be selling well. It was back in stock around two weeks ago and is now out of stock already!

It's still in stock as of this day.  Again, I hope someday it'll be released digitally once the sets are sold out.

Random question (not necessarily related to the LLL set):

Where (if anywhere) does this passage play in the film? 

It's been a while since I watched the full movie. I searched around YouTube but none of the clips I watched included this passage. 

On 3/30/2019 at 3:46 AM, TitanicFan2018 said:

\

It's still in stock as of this day.  Again, I hope someday it'll be released digitally once the sets are sold out.

LLL don’t release sets digitally. Can’t see why they’d start now. 

12 minutes ago, Will said:

It's been a while since I watched the full movie. I searched around YouTube but none of the clips I watched included this passage. 

The music is cut down to be shorter to fit the scene, but it's when the stern is rising up out of the water and Jack says "we have to move!" and he and Rose make their way over the railing to avoid falling. 

The screenshot of that YouTube video is actually taking place seconds before the music you're asking about. Back it up to 5:09 or so, and the screenshot and music are in sync with each other in the film. 

17 minutes ago, Will said:

That track is very nice; if you know the order of events, you can easily pinpoint what's supposed to underscore what.

That section starts after the ship's broken in half and the stern's rising to its vertical position, starting when Jack and others start to climb on the other side of the back railing, it's in the film, the anvil at the end scores it coming to a standstill.

Ninja'd!

Ah, found it, thanks guys. 

For some reason I thought it played earlier, during the climb up the stairs and the key scene.