James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

This is what happens when you Frankenstein the OST with additional tracks and unreleased segments. I can't say I blame them for the approach they took as Titanic is such a mess, you really have to edit it to your liking. As long as most of the music is on there, just rearrange it digitally.

I still question the very wet reverby sound of the vocal segments, but I don't dislike it.

I rarely listen to the C&C presentation as it doesn't flow well. I like the suite of alternate versions on Disc 3.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Agreed on the reverb issue, but the only reason they put OST tracks in the main program is because Bulk produced the set.

Was it not because Horner wanted it this way?

Karol

On 5/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, bollemanneke said:

I listened to disc 1 again the other day. Fantastic score, but I would have liked the film versions to be in the main program.

Agree, but I would also have liked to not have crossfaded cues, especially "The Promenade" and "Butterfly Comb" (the latter should come after "Rose").

When I did my custom complete score, I put the film versions of the following cues into the main program (some film version cues I reconstructed myself without ANY of the sloppy micro-edits):

- Southampton*

- Leaving Port*

- Take Her to Sea Mr. Murdoch* (added in the heavy thumping bass line from the film mix, reconstructed the ending heard in the film)

- Rose* (eventual film version, taken from the film stem leak)

- The Portrait** (eventual film version, taken from LLL disc 3)

- Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave (pipeless version, combined the OST version with jointy95's rip from the film along with a small section taken from film stem leak to remove dialogue echoes)

- Death of Titanic (combined the OST version with the alternate version in places)

- A Promise Kept* (combined the OST version with the alternate cue)

*denotes a cue where I put its OST counterpart with the additional music and alternates while putting the film versions in the main program

**For "The Portrait", I put Horner's intended cue with the additional music & alternate cues

• 1 month later...

Hello, all.  Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.  I've been painstakingly trying to recreate a film version of Rose and have been close but unsuccessful.  I only have the La-La Land album, a DVD rip for separate channels and a youtube rip of Sissel's vocals (courtesy of a JW Fan user, I believe).  I understand there's a better way to do this.  If anyone can share privately I'd greatly appreciate it.  Please PM me.  Thank you.

The set has zero film edits, and only contains originally intended cues.

It does have the Building Panic album suite which I never knew exactly what it is or why it exists but it does include some ideas from the film edit.

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

The set has zero film edits, and only contains originally intended cues.

Nice, I clearly misunderstood then.

So some people here have actually been moaning about not getting the fricking film edits? Jesus F. Christ!

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't know why people are so obsessed with film edits when it comes to this score.

Same here.   

When I got the LLL album two years ago, I initially recreated all the film edits.  But later as I made my custom complete score presentation, I decided that listening to Horner's intended cues without any micro edits was a much better listening experience.  So I deleted my film edits album; but I reconstructed film mixes of "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch", "Hard to Starboard", "Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave", and "Death of Titanic" (w/o the microedits but added in things like heavier thumping bass lines, no Uilleann pipes, removal of the synth voices in some spots, etc.), and then added them into the main program of my custom complete score.

On 7/9/2020 at 8:00 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

So some people here have actually been moaning about not getting the fricking film edits? Jesus F. Christ!

And, you're surprised?

On 7/9/2020 at 4:50 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't know why people are so obsessed with film edits when it comes to this score.

Not " people", JWfanners.

😁

On 7/9/2020 at 6:46 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Is this expansion considered a good release?

Yes but...

If you have the ost and BTT , you have pretty much all you need.

I love both albums-

On 7/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, NL197 said:

Also (slightly related) take a wild guess as to who was uninvited from the memorial service....here's a hint: 

no one wanted him there. At all. And none of James' team wants to deal with this person again for not only his treatment of James, but also of his music. 

I have asked many times about a memorial service/ funeral .

This is the first mention of one.

Can you give any more info or a link?

Thanks!

On 6/26/2019 at 7:19 AM, NL197 said:

The film edit is dog shit. Why people scramble to find ways to make it or even want to listen to it are beyond me. Not even worth my time to entertain anymore. 

The same is true of BLADE RUNNER , but that didn't stop people devoting YEARS of their lives to the project !

On 7/9/2020 at 4:00 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice, I clearly misunderstood then.

In some cases, you don't find out that they're film edits until you hear the original composition. Even then, while some of them are truly horrendous edits, some are well-tracked and highly prominent in the film.

I thought that there was a lot more unreleased music before I got this set, due to the tracking involved.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

In some cases, you don't find out that they're film edits until you hear the original composition. Even then, while some of them are truly horrendous edits, some are well-tracked and highly prominent in the film.

I thought that there was a lot more unreleased music before I got this set, due to the tracking involved.

Really? It was the opposite for me. There was more music on the set than I expected.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a full film version edit done? I love hear Horner's intended version, but have always wanted to know what the film versions edits would be. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Just now, Kühni said:

I finally received the LLL. :lovethis:

And because I never can get this straight myself, even after repeatedly perusing Jason's sheetspreads: keep the OST for the (dialogue-free) song, and Back to Titanic for the LSO recordings (and a few inspired by-pieces), right?

Yes. IF you do want the song. BtT also has the fuller Alexander's Ragtime Band I think?

Kösz, Holko! :)

I'm weird that way...I care about having this track/edit/mix retained as it was on a previous release, but not about that one. I guess I actually should dig out the single of "My Heart Will Go On", because it has the nicer radio edit with choir backing Celine Dion.

Yesterday, I spent 3/4 of an hour assembling a Small Soldiers playlist based on the DE and a 2002 footwarmer. I was left with five short tracks from that footwarmer and two edits/alternate mixes (with REALLY minuscule differences, but they are like this on the OST and I've been listening to them since 1999) that I couldn't place in sequence (likely because they were edited into longer tracks of the DE, and I wasn't able to pinpoint them yet). Solution: have the DE as it is, and append those seven tracks at the end of the playlist. I guess the OST can be relegated to dust-collecting duties, too...

On 11/19/2020 at 5:59 AM, Smaug The Iron said:

It has arrived. Unfortunately the case is broken so it completely fell apart. I have contact La La Land Records for a replacment case. 

On the plus side this score is really good. 

I emailed LLL about this regarding an X-Files set and they just ignored me.

16 hours ago, Holko said:

Yes. IF you do want the song. BtT also has the fuller Alexander's Ragtime Band I think?

Alexander's Ragtime Band is different, yes. 

Crossfade "Post" with "My Heart Will Go On" and you have the intended end credits. It's a direct continuation. 

• 3 months later...

I'm listening to the DVD commentary on which Horner says they scored the final scene (Rose throwing away the diamond) twice. So did they not record the first/second version or did Horner misspoke?

An Ocean of Memories fits - to an extent - the alternate ending of the film. I did some experimenting with it. Some of it works very well, and some of it is ridiculous, such as Sissel singing over the rising shot of Brock laughing. The timing doesn't always work but as an overall thing, it's clear the cue was written for at least a version of this sequence. 

I've never seen the deleted scenes for this film.  Are any of them good?  Did Horner score a cut that contained any of them (other than the alternate ending I mean)

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never seen the deleted scenes for this film.  Are any of them good?

Hell yes! You can spend a good 50 minutes watching them and feel like you've gone through a shorter version of the movie. They definitely add to it on a rewatch here and there if you keep them in mind, like Fabrizio's girlfriend.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did Horner score a cut that contained any of them (other than the Ocean of Memories one I mean)

I think the final cut only uses half of A Life So Changed, while the extended scene uses the full cue.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hell yes! You can spend a good 50 minutes watching them and feel like you've gone through a shorter version of the movie. They definitely add to it on a rewatch here and there if you keep them in mind, like Fabrizio's girlfriend.

Interesting!  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

I think the final cut only uses half of A Life So Changed, while the extended scene uses the full cue.

Sorry, what I meant was, were any of the other deleted scenes scored by Horner, or were they all already cut beforehand?

Just now, Jay said:

Sorry, what I meant was, were any of the other deleted scenes scored by Horner, or were they all already cut beforehand

Sorry, what I meant was, I think A Life So Changed scored the full version as released in the deleted scenes before it was cut down in the final version.

Also possibly Trapped on D Deck's opening was for the infamous Lovejoy fight in the flooding room. Don't want to say for sure with my track record of misremembering and with Cameron's music "editing". :lol:

I see.  But in the actual deleted scene reel on the disc, they don't mix A Life So Changed into the audio?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

But in the actual deleted scene reel on the disc, they don't mix A Life So Changed into the audio?

No, it does have it!