James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

These are excerpts from the review posted a few pages back. 

Would i I be right in saying there was the more synth demo which we’ve never heard before (image 2 below)

The actual piano demo with performance by Horner that was used in the film

Horner’s own performance re-recorded for BTT?

You seem quite confused about all this, let me try to help.

1-13 The Portrait (1:58) = The finished cue Horner intended to be used in the film, but Cameron didn't use it

3-11 Piano Theme—The Portrait (5:00) = A demo Horner recorded that Cameron liked and tracked (the first two minutes) into the film instead of the final cue

3-03 The Portrait [Album Version] (4:43) = a re-recording of the demo Horner made in 1998 for the Back To Titanic CD.

I would personally place 3-11 in the film order, and keep the other variants separate.

RE: BTT 02 in your spreadsheet, it should be noted that there is movie dialog and sound effects from that sequence in that track. I think the same applies to My Heart Will Go On from BTT.

25 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I would personally place 3-11 in the film order, and keep the other variants separate.

RE: BTT 02 in your spreadsheet, it should be noted that there is movie dialog and sound effects from that sequence in that track. I think the same applies to My Heart Will Go On from BTT.

I will do this with my edition. I will probably put all the film versions available on disc 1/2 and then the OST versions/alts on disc 3

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I should get all of that done in time for the 25th anniversary! 

I had a day and a half with a sick toddler to do that track by track review write-up for JHFM. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

These are excerpts from the review posted a few pages back. 

Would i I be right in saying there was the more synth demo which we’ve never heard before (image 2 below)

The actual piano demo with performance by Horner that was used in the film

Horner’s own performance re-recorded for BTT?

C4B23634-3228-438F-B4B7-F041652692DD.png

3B3F6E00-0A18-4EB4-B393-4F9BD93D5DFA.png

97F718F6-996E-41A2-9413-1098B32D65FA.png

I've never had anything of mine referenced so often before. Cool. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You seem quite confused about all this, let me try to help.

1-13 The Portrait (1:58) = The finished cue Horner intended to be used in the film, but Cameron didn't use it

3-11 Piano Theme—The Portrait (5:00) = A demo Horner recorded that Cameron liked and tracked (the first two minutes) into the film instead of the final cue

3-03 The Portrait [Album Version] (4:43) = a re-recording of the demo Horner made in 1998 for the Back To Titanic CD.

Isn’t that what I’ve said though? You’ve written it much clearer than I have!

Sorry, I did it on my phone during a coffee break and I didn’t have track lists or anything available to me! 

4 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I had a day and a half with a sick toddler to do that track by track review write-up for JHFM. 

And it is great! Thank you for it. It’s keeping me going until I get my hands on the cd at Xmas!

I'm sure that I probably overlooked something in my rush to finish it. Also I didn't want to get too much into the differences in the film because the score (like Aliens and Avatar) was put into a blender. 

Like they took a duplicate of the master tapes and threw it into one of those overpriced blenders a health nut would buy, hit "puree" and stuck the bits all over the movie like confetti. To some, synthy and cheesy confetti, but very pretty confetti nonetheless. 

On the plus side, I've gotten my son's cold. It's only fair though, last time he was sick it was my fault. I think my CD is still in California. Gonna be a bit of a wait. 

5 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I'm sure that I probably overlooked something in my rush to finish it. Also I didn't want to get too much into the differences in the film because the score (like Aliens and Avatar) was put into a blender. 

Like they took a duplicate of the master tapes and threw it into one of those overpriced blenders a health nut would buy, hit "puree" and stuck the bits all over the movie like confetti. To some, synthy and cheesy confetti, but very pretty confetti nonetheless. 

On the plus side, I've gotten my son's cold. It's only fair though, last time he was sick it was my fault. I think my CD is still in California. Gonna be a bit of a wait. 

I'm looking up stuff about this score all over the internet at the moment and I think it's hilarious that so many people wanted the cue from the final scene but you couldn't release it. There's 3 or 4 very obvious music edits in it alone. 

I think the score as written is definitely the best approach! 

But anyway, you maybe able to answer, is "The Portrait" from BTT definitely a performance by Horner?

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I'm looking up stuff about this score all over the internet at the moment and I think it's hilarious that so many people wanted the cue from the final scene but you couldn't release it. There's 3 or 4 very obvious music edits in it alone. 

I think the score as written is definitely the best approach! 

But anyway, you maybe able to answer, is "The Portrait" from BTT definitely a performance by Horner?

Indeed it is, I still have "Back To Titanic". It's officially credited on that album as a "Piano solo performed by James Horner". 

By the way, the demo "Piano theme" is really better. It has some very minor mistakes in Horner's playing which actually make it better. More of an improvisation. 

On the audio commentary he said he was never a very good piano player anyway. That's why he didn't want it in the film. 

The film edit of that cue has the Uilleann Pipes removed and the added quena at the end, I guess that's the stuff most desired. Not a bad edit, some edits were quite nice. The action music however....well it's good it was buried under all those effects. 

1 minute ago, NL197 said:

Indeed it is, I still have "Back To Titanic". It's officially credited on that album as a "Piano solo performed by James Horner". 

The film edit of that cue has the Uilleann Pipes removed and the added quena at the end, I guess that's the stuff most desired. Not a bad edit, some edits were quite nice. The action music however....well it's good it was buried under all those effects. 

I think the big Uilleann pipe moment in "Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave" is my favouirte moment of the score. Is that what they used in the finale but took out those gorgeous pipes?

Also, thanks! I knew it was a Horner performance but don't have BTT to hand and couldn't check!

5 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I'm very much an amateur but I can and will do an analysis when I receive my copy.

Excellent, @BloodBoal you've got someone to do your analysis for you! 

9 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Excellent, @BloodBoal you've got someone to do your analysis for you! 

It may be a while because I'm not getting it until Christmas either, but I'll still do it.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Isn’t that what I’ve said though? You’ve written it much clearer than I have!

Sorry, I did it on my phone during a coffee break and I didn’t have track lists or anything available to me! 

And it is great! Thank you for it. It’s keeping me going until I get my hands on the cd at Xmas!

Glad I'm not the only one having to wait till Christmas.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Glad I'm not the only one having to wait till Christmas.

Part of it is not being able to afford it on my own in the run up to xmas and the other part is the nostalgia associated with getting this score for xmas!

Good to hear! I can't wait to hear this edition! 

One question, what is the track A Promise Kept (Alternate)? Is it the soft mysterious synths that are in the film, but missing from the OST track or something completely different?

Beats me, I just listened to the music without really looking at track titles or analyzing what I was listening to.  Plus, its not like I'm an expert on the score to begin with, I haven't really listened to it all that many times compared to my favorite Horners.  

Doesn't this review describe the difference?

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/exclusive-review-titanic-expanded-ocean-discoveries/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

This release is awesome.

I first listened to discs 1 & 2 back to back.  It made me appreciate the score more than I ever had before.  I always liked the score, but never LOVED it.  But damn, listening to this I realized everything it really has to offer.

Then I listened to disc 3, and the alternates and stuff are a lot of fun.  I heard The Rocketeer in one track, Wrath of Khan in another, etc.  Classic Horner :lol:

Disc 4 seems like it could be nice relaxing background music for certain activities, I haven't listened to it all yet.

How's it compare to the Jurassic Park release last year?

One thing I didn't get into (it's an article all by itself really) is the film mix. 

For "A Promise Kept", it's a combination of three pieces of music: 

'A Promise Kept' (album version)

'The Beacon (Those Who Have Gone Before)' by Michael Stearns' album "Encounter" - used by the editors, not a quote / borrow by Horner. 

'A Promise Kept - new ending' (disc 3 version)

Use of 'The Beacon' is limited to about maybe...10 seconds? It's used to bridge the two film score cues together. You hear it as Rose is shaking Jack's hand trying to wake him up but he's already gone. A faint piece of ambiance. 

12 minutes ago, NL197 said:

One thing I didn't get into (it's an article all by itself really) is the film mix. 

For "A Promise Kept", it's a combination of three pieces of music: 

'A Promise Kept' (album version)

'The Beacon (Those Who Have Gone Before)' by Michael Stearns' album "Encounter" - used by the editors, not a quote / borrow by Horner. 

'A Promise Kept - new ending' (disc 3 version)

Use of 'The Beacon' is limited to about maybe...10 seconds? It's used to bridge the two film score cues together. You hear it as Rose is shaking Jack's hand trying to wake him up but he's already gone. A faint piece of ambiance. 

I know exactly what part you're talking about. Does the alternate still have the opening or no?

20 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

How's it compare to the Jurassic Park release last year?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.  What does one have to do with the other?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.  What does one have to do with the other?

In terms of your opinion on the quality of the release.

Just now, mstrox said:

The Jurassic Park set has more jungle drums on discs 3-4 than Titanic does.

Well I know that, I'm speaking of the overall release and how the quality of one compares to the other.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The Jurassic Park set has more jungle drums on discs 3-4 than Titanic does.

Yeah but Titanic has a lot more synth choir so it evens out. 

8 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

In terms of your opinion on the quality of the release.

I.. have no idea how to answer that?

Both are quality releases of good/great scores clearly handled with love by the people who made them.  I honestly am not sure what you want me to say

23 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I know exactly what part you're talking about. Does the alternate still have the opening or no?

The alternate opens with the soft, airy flutes for when Rose is staring up at the stars quietly singing to herself 'Come Josephine in my Flying Machine'. Like in the film. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I.. have no idea how to answer that?

Both are quality releases of good/great scores clearly handled with love by the people who made them.  I honestly am not sure what you want me to say

Exactly that. Thank you.

I've noticed you're often a fan of Horner's action scoring, right Jay?

I enjoy it, especially in Titanic and Aliens, but I tend to lean towards his more lyrical, romantic side more.  It's probably Aliens has never been as high on my Horner list as it is for others.

It's also probably why I'm one of the few who likes Titanic (the movie) more before it hits the berg :) 

I like all of Horner's music!

But yea, generally a big fan of his action scoring, for sure. 

Aliens is my favorite Horner score, but I love the creepy stuff just as much as the action stuff.

The Rocketeer is basically tied for my favorite, and I love Jenny's material, the sneaking around stuff, and the heroic flight stuff as much as the action material.

Another favorite is Wrath of Khan, and while I probably do like the action material there more than anything else, I do love the entire score, every part of it!

That Horner guy, he's pretty good!

As for Titanic the film, I haven't seen it since 1998 and don't remember a whole lot of details about it, certainly nothing about the score as used in the film.

I've seen Titanic, I dunno, 2 or 3, maybe 4 times, but ROTS only once, opening night in the theater. The final nail in my "I don't think I like Star Wars any more" coffin.

Disc 1 of this set is great, the longer buildup to ship taking off changes everything, as does all the material after it takes off before the iceberg hits.  Every cue in that run is great.

I actually really like the intended version of The Portrait, though of course the real piano version is great too.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I've noticed you're often a fan of Horner's action scoring, right Jay?

I enjoy it, especially in Titanic and Aliens, but I tend to lean towards his more lyrical, romantic side more.  It's probably Aliens has never been as high on my Horner list as it is for others.

It's also probably why I'm one of the few who likes Titanic (the movie) more before it hits the berg :) 

AH but the way he uses the love theme in the action music is superb. “The Sinking” and “A Building Panic” are superb tracks. 

like I said before, I really cried when I heard the news about this release. But i have to say...... I really dont like the cover. :P First of all: there are no waves in the entire movie and also, Rose never had this blue dress. Is it actually a photoshopped version of the dark red one she is wearing at the party? anyway. #firstworldproblems