Jump to content

Masterpiece or not?


Jwfan2234
 Share

Is Hans Zimmer’s Interstellar soundtrack a masterpiece?  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Is Hans Zimmer’s Interstellar soundtrack a masterpiece?



Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, zeekypttr5678 said:

Why is there no middle ground? It doesn't suck, but Hans Zimmer also hasn't done a masterpiece in a long time. It's...fine

Added

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Masterpiece. It is even better with the movie. The music is simplistic but haunting. I remember the notes long after I finished watching the film. 

 

It is crazy he didn't get an Oscar for that but is closer to getting one with Dunkirk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is extremely oppressive both on album and in the film - it is just droning the same phrases over and over again with little variation. 

 

Extremely unimaginative.

 

It is the definition of wallpaper music. It's a not a score, its a looped musical background that can be applied like wallpaper to a film.

 

Truly the end is nigh if something like this can be considered a masterpiece of film scoring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It is extremely oppressive both on album and in the film - it is just droning the same phrases over and over again with little variation. 

 

Extremely unimaginative.

 

It is the definition of wallpaper music. It's a not a score, its a looped musical background that can be applied like wallpaper to a film.

 

Truly the end is nigh if something like this can be considered a masterpiece of film scoring.

 

Ignored. 

 

Wait, you already were!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a huge fan of it. The melody and color (pipe organ) are to repetitive, to the point that the score feels like an idea-fixe score rather than a leitmotivic one. And the presentation in the film is way too overwrought.

 

And seeing how it's attached to one of my least favorite Christopher Nolan films, my appreciation of the score cannot go unaffected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously?!

 

I enjoy the score but it's incredibly repetitive. It's just the same small collection of ideas repeated over and over with little variation.

 

Hearing the full score makes me think of how it would sound if a film were scored using library music. Well-chosen, but nothing anywhere to indicate that it was composed for this film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

It is most definitely a masterpiece. One of the greatest scores of the 2010s.

It actually might be. But then, that doesn't say much. 

 

In any case, one of the finest Zimmers.

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Seriously?!

 

I enjoy the score but it's incredibly repetitive. It's just the same small collection of ideas repeated over and over with little variation.

 

Not a fan of minimalism, I take it.

 

Me, I absolutely adore Zimmer's take on the Glass-ian stylings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Call me one Zimmer score that is musically at least as complex as Williams' least complex score.

 

That would depend on what you mean with 'complexity'. A score can be complex in any number of ways, not least of which is in relation to the images. Also, I don't believe 'musical complexity' is any kind of goal for a score like INTERSTELLAR. It's a more of a visceral experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

That would depend on what you mean with 'complexity'. A score can be complex in any number of ways, not least of which is in relation to the images. Also, I don't believe 'musical complexity' is any kind of goal for a score like INTERSTELLAR. It's a more of a visceral experience.

That's why I like Interstellar and Blade Runner 2049 so much. This way of listening to the music works for me there. But historical films like Gladiator and Last Samurai are just miscast with Zimmer as composer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That's why I like Interstellar and Blade Runner 2049 so much. This way of listening to the music works for me there. But historical films like Gladiator and Last Samurai are just miscast with Zimmer as composer.

 

Why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Gladiator, as a film, certainly disagrees with that last point. That film wouldn't have worked half as well without Zimmer.

 

Last Samurai has a lot of good stuff, but I don't remember it in context.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The music is excellent at the quiet moments! So "miscast" is not really true. But the action scenes are always too epic, not dramatic enough (Goldsmith also did that wrong with 13th Warrior) and Zimmer should have tried to dive into the ancient sound of the films' settings, but it rings just like modern music with a few instruments from that era.

 

The really annoying thing is that Zimmer scored so many arena fights in Gladiator. It spoils (de-intensifies) the scenes, just like the T-Rex attack wold have been de-intensified with music. It's like he tries making the scenes more dramatic with harsh brasses, although all the scenes would have needed, are the sound effects and a straightforward, realistic impression. Maybe only-percussion would have been an option. A simple brutal attack is best not scored at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't understand why many people don't like the film. Such terms as "predictable" or "overly complicated" simply don't apply to this movie.

 

To be blunt, people who don't like Interstellar lack the intellectual ability to understand its dense scientific concepts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.