Close Encounters of the Third Kind - La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

15 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Not all film scores are created equal. Much of the time they don't work as a listening experience when the C&C score as intended for the film is casually thrown into the tracklist. Especially if it's littered with a significant number of micro cues in 20-30 second duration each, which can harm the wider musical narrative. Sometimes the album producer (in many cases, that's Williams himself) feels it's necessary to reappropriate the music to a suit the new context that's separate from the film.

It seems apparent to me that you don't want to accept that all this is happening on a subjective level, hence there may be people who prefer the C&C presentation over their OST counterpart.

A film score is not just its main title, or a suite of themes, or its soundtrack album, or an expanded release. One may say "I love the Schindler's List score" but only listen and enjoy its main theme or a selection of cues. Well to me that's not appreciating the score in its entirety as a listening experience, that's all I'm saying. And as I said before there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a matter of preference and appreciation. 

BTW feel free to use words like "pedantic" or "fallacy" to try to discredit my opinion, but don't expect me to take yours seriously if you choose to do so.

Sure you can, because they're two different things.

One refers to the preference for a more or less complete/chronological sequencing (subjective).

The other refers to the idea that if someone prefers a shortened version of a score over its C&C presentation, they don't appreciate it as much as a whole.

It's simple.

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

The other refers to the idea that if someone prefers a shortened version of a score, they don't appreciate it as much as a whole.

Incorrect, they just want it presented in a way that best reflects the composer's intention for its appropriation to an album medium.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Incorrect, they just want it presented in a way that best reflects the composer's intention for its appropriation to an album medium.

I don't see a contradiction there but I respect that you do, since this idea seems to be the foundation for your collecting and appreciation of film scores.

For a score that can easily fill two discs (every SW score, every HP score, every IJ score except Raiders, Lost World, A.I., Hook) or a shorter score with little to no extras (Jurassic Park) this way of sequencing would not make sense, but for E.T. and Close Encounters it absolutely does, since the alternative is a complete score on disc 1 without the last track and disc 2 with just one track from the complete score + the extras. It would be very annoying if you just wanted to listen to the main program and always had to change the discs for just three minutes. Moreover the listening experience would have an unpleasant cutoff at the end of disc 1.

I admit I was a bit worried about the sequencing at first but it really works.

Plus it’s nice to have the finale / end credits as a separate cue now.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Raiders doesn't fit on one disc either Brundlefly.

Wonder how MM will sequence that score, if he gets the chance?

Presumably similar to E.T., with a few cues will be moved to disc 2 to accommodate for a single-disk listening experience.

This is a cool release. The score in the movie is probably one of the most well written and important scores since... well ever.

I’m glad it got a phenomenal treatment for the 40th. It really is spectacular and both discs are an interesting listen.

The score outside the movie - on any of its release, still doesn’t do much for me though, except for a handful of tracks.

But I will say this: The remaster really shines! We’ve never heard it like this before!

5 hours ago, jedimastere said:

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I am curious to know if the compression for these tracks/files are improved over past releases.

Any insight would be appreciated.

If you're asking about dynamic range compression, it sounds great to me.  The release was mastered by Mike Matessino, and he never brickwalls recordings.

If you're asking about lossy compression like mp3 files, I don't understand why you're asking because this release is only sold as a physical CD set, no downloadable option is available.

Here is where you can buy it directly from the label that made it:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/CloseEncounters.html

8 hours ago, Jay said:

If you're asking about dynamic range compression, it sounds great to me.  The release was mastered by Mike Matessino, and he never brickwalls recordings.

This is the most dynamic mastering job I've ever heard from MM. A true reference quality presentation of what can be achieved with 40-year-old analog sources.

This is the most dynamic mastering job I've ever heard from MM. A true reference quality presentation of what can be achieved with 40-year-old analog sources.

This man is a gifted genius!

Thanks, I just compared file sizes and sound quality between this release and the 1998 CETK The Collector's Edition Soundtrack.

This sounds better by far, I like the version of Let There Be Light on The collector's edition better though.

The only difference between the two is that the 1998 CD version fades out early, before the synth drone comes in.

Is it just me or is the mix for Close Encounters much wetter and more "distant" than the mix for ET? The orchestra seems more distant and I can hear the space between the instruments and the room more than with ET. It's similar in sound to ANH but of course much cleaner. It's kind of bugging me. Anyone else notice this?

On 24.12.2017 at 7:04 PM, Jay said:

Raiders doesn't fit on one disc either Brundlefly.

If I'm not mistaken, Raiders runs just over 80 mins when discarding the edited down version of the Raiders march. Then it could possibly fit onto a single CD by breaking the Redbook standard.

8 hours ago, azahid said:

This man is a gifted genius!

Yeah, unlike those geniuses who aren't gifted...

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No response to any of your posts have ever been pointless, my friend.

It must have hurt writing that. :D

On 03/12/2017 at 9:17 AM, Jay said:

OK, here's how to create a Complete & Chronological playlist from this set, either with source music integrated or without.

I do encourage all who haven't received their copies to listen to disc 1 and disc 2 as-is before trying this out.

Chronological Order - Score Only

01 2-01 Main Title (1:16)
02 1-02 Navy Planes (2:13)
03 1-03 Lost Squadron (2:33)
04 1-04 Trucking (2:08)

Good heavens, THANK YOU!

I think I've found my only criticism of this glorious set:  This list should have been in the liner notes.

Disc 1, OTOH, is the most listenable presentation of this score.  It's sublime.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:30 PM, crumbs said:

Wonder how MM will sequence that score, if he gets the chance?

Presumably similar to E.T., with a few cues will be moved to disc 2 to accommodate for a single-disk listening experience.

Oh that's simple.  Raiders would just need two 65 minute discs: Disc 1 is the first 65 minutes of the complete score, Disc 2 is the remaining 20 minutes of the complete score, the 5 minutes of alternates, and the original 40 minute LP program.  Easy peasy.

I knew I did right when I looked for the original OST of Raiders on CD. It contains a lot of very particular EDITS.

Raiders is one of those rare scores that I discovered first with the expanded versions (the 1995 release and the Concord Set), then, only after, the OST.

I listened to the second CD of the LLL set of CE3K. Nice alternate way to listen to the score. I've just skipped the two annoying tracks about the five tones. ;)