Close Encounters of the Third Kind - La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

22 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

@Jay That would be the perfect presentation of this score!

But that would not work for the other three scores, am I right? They're too long scores and have way too much alternates and source music.

TOD and TLC are much longer scores.  Those would simply have to be 2 discs sets with the complete score spread over both discs, with some alternates at the end of the second disc after the end credits.  No reason to include either OST program, though you MIGHT just be able to fit the TOD OST at the end of the second disc if you make disc 1 really long, I haven't checked.  The OST LP contained nothing different from the film versions though.  All the cues on it are unedited, too, except for 2 bits edited out of Fast Streets of Shanghai, and the final track being an edit of the first bit of Return to the Village seguing to partway into the End Credits.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's possible to squeeze at least 89 mins. onto a CD by decreasing the track pitch:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Oct14/Bruckner_sy3_99044.htm

That's irrelevant, the specialty labels as well as Disney Records (who would be the ones to release expanded Indy scores) release their CDs conforming to Red Book standards only.

La-La Land Records and MM both share a philosophy of never releasing a disc longer than 78:59, to make sure their work is playable on everyone's CD players.

I am sure everything you are saying is true, but its irrelevant when discussing potential future Williams/Matessino expansions.

It is absolute common sense for labels that produce a limited edition, niche item for a small, but very diverse and international market would have a policy to ensure quality and compatibility with every working CD player.

Listening to this score has made me appreciate all over again how often JW absolutely nails finale music for films. Basically all of Close Encounters builds up to the final 10 minutes or so and JW pays it off spectacularly. He did it again with ANH with a rousing, heroic finale. Then with ET and that awesome brass. Fast forward to TFA, and JW is still writing brilliant music for the finale of his film scores leading right into the end credits. 

16 hours ago, Jay said:

That's irrelevant, the specialty labels as well as Disney Records (who would be the ones to release expanded Indy scores) release their CDs conforming to Red Book standards only.

Disney might change their policy in the future, though. :)

29 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Any film scores available on the format?

Bernard Herrmann's OBSESSION is the only I know of. We have a Williams Tribute Celebration concert on on Blu ray video though.

What is "Dark Side of the Moon" (the first part) exactly: should it be placed before Outstretched Hands or after, and was it meant to replace part of "Outstretched Hands" or the preceding cue?

Also, the second cue in "Dark Side of the Moon", does it start at 0:43 or at 0:52?

WOW! I just cant get over this terrific release. Listening to this score once again in its full regalia has nothing less than a Tour De Force experience. The remastering and the pristine sound quality is STUNNING! Also the flow of the program has to be complimented as both discs display a familiar narrative. I had thought That I would only play a few selections from Disc1 and jump directly to Disc 2 but that never happened as I was totally mesmerised by the flow of the music. The Choir is so much ethereal and alive at times that it gave me goosebumps. The first generation tapes gives a whole new life to this score and allows the sound to become an organic breathing living sound. Kudos to Mike Matessino on doing such an astounding work on editing, assembling, mastering and producing this fine work. I'm sure La-La Land Records, Steven Spielberg and John Williams must be beaming with pride on this final product. Also I love the liner note/ essay on the set.. Specially noted is how various key scores from John Williams most prolific output of the late 70's and early 80's come to play in and around the making of this score and film. This is by far is the best restoration and preservation of a Williams score to date. The bar keeps getting Higher!  

30 minutes ago, king mark said:

there's a lot more details in the cue Inside compared to the Boston Pops re-recording

also what does "barnstorming" mean?

Yes, the female choir comes out more prominent and the harp is also properly aligned in the channels. I feared that the sound quality from different timelines would not match but Matessino has made a total alignment and it blended so well.  Also note that the Boston Pop version is a  much different take.

On 03/01/2018 at 12:19 AM, king mark said:

also what does "barnstorming" mean?

2 seconds with Google: (of a pilot) to give exhibitions of stunt flying, participate in airplaneraces, etc., in the course of touring country towns and rural areas.

Makes sense, those scout ships rotate like hell all around, alien bastards must have a digestive system where they can't vomit.

I've listened to this set about 3 times now (first listens of this score) and so far, the most coordinated my thoughts can get about it is this: WOW.

On 03/01/2018 at 2:04 AM, Holko said:

2 seconds with Google: (of a pilot) to give exhibitions of stunt flying, participate in airplaneraces, etc., in the course of touring country towns and rural areas.

Makes sense, those scout ships rotate like hell all around, alien bastards must have a digestive system where they can't vomit.

" They can fly rings around Saturn but we are ways ahead of them on the highway! " ;)

Do we know if Close Encounters was mixed live? It sounds like it was but I'm not sure. ET for example was mixed live so the La La Land re-release improved sound quality but there wasn't much Mike M could or needed to do with the mix. 

13 hours ago, azahid said:

" They can fly rings around Saturn but we are ways ahead of them on the highway! " ;)

"They can fly rings around the Moon, but we're years ahead of 'em, on the highway".

With respect azahid...if you are going to quote CE3K, you'd better do it right.

No offence :)

The 1980 cut put in some nice scenes, but also put in completely redundant (Ghobi desert) and pointless (inside the mothership) scenes along with it - but most crucially, removed some amazing scenes that were in the theatrical cut.

The 1998 cut somewhat solves that by removing the mothership scene and some other stuff, and putting back in SOME of the theatrical cut scenes, but is still missing too much good stuff.

I wish the LTP concerts were using the theatrical cut instead of the 1998 cut; The long sequence of Roy breaking down in the shower and him and his wife going though all that will be annoying to sit through in that concert setting.

I don't think the Ghobi desert scene is poorly executed or anything - it certainly looks neat - but it is kind of redundant after the long finding the planes sequence.  And since Williams didn't compose music for it and they just track other stuff, that's another bummer about using that cut for the concerts.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The 1998 cut is the one Spielberg prefers, and its the perfect compromise, i feel.

Compromise - perfect term to sum it up.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I wish the LTP concerts were using the theatrical cut instead of the 1998 cut; The long sequence of Roy breaking down in the shower and him and his wife going though all that will be annoying to sit through in that concert setting.

...but at the same time they are the reason, why the director's cut is the best cut. But yeah, for LTP it is not necessary.

I agree with that!

I think it would be neat if the 40th BD had an easter egg fourth cut that basically combined all the footage from all 3 cuts into one longest possible cut.  Would be great if they cleaned up the deleted scenes and integrated those into this hypothetical easter egg cut too

23 hours ago, Richard said:

"They can fly rings around the Moon, but we're years ahead of 'em, on the highway".

With respect azahid...if you are going to quote CE3K, you'd better do it right.

No offence :)

None taken @Richard I was quoting from memory. Rather..  the fotoplay novel 😀