Close Encounters of the Third Kind - La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

...And after all those years, Spielberg is still holding on to not having that "wish-upon-a-star" melody in the end credits of his movie.

In this recording of the CE3K-Live-to-Projection concert from last year in England (cue this to the 34-second mark), the original end-credits arrangement is not used.

Although this concert didn't use the hacked-up version from the theatrical cut either, this arrangement we're hearing does use material from the score we've heard just moments before and it ends with the concert-suite arrangement.

For some reason he had the proper credits in the Special Ed, but not the Director's Ed which the LTPs use.

It is weird how this one just splices Contact right back then goes back to the recorded credits ending.

The Live to Projection concert uses the 1998 cut.  The 40th anniversary theatrical re-release in theaters two years also used the 1998 cut.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this has arleady been discussed, but the LLL press release stated that disc one's program was guided by the discovery that Williams wanted the album to be 2 LPs. So does that mean disc 1 IS that LP program, or did MM include things that weren't supposed to be on those LPs?

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So I guess there's no way to end up with the original LP idea?

I think the album was planned as a 2LP set with almost the entire score or near to it. I think Mattesino's presentation on disc 1 is following that program, but we cant be too sure. I will have to read the booklet again and listen to it again as well.CE3K is in my top 5 Williams list.

I think it’ll be impossible to say for sure what would’ve been a 2 LP program, since it never happened.

It’ll be one of those musical ideas forever lost in time, and the industry and fans will try forever to recreate them as they “could have been”...

...like The Beach Boys’s Smile, Prince’s Dream Factory or Marvin Gaye’s You’re The Man...

...but the truth is, we’ll never know.

You're the Man was released, but it is a stretch to call it an album. Almost all tracks appeared on earlier comps or DEs and in no way does it hold together as a concept of any kind (never mind evidencing the self-contained sonic universe of an album tracked over a limited set of dates in a fixed recording environment e.g. almost all JW scores). That said, I'm glad it was released and I certainly had it on repeat. I reached for it just now in my "on hand" collection.

17 hours ago, Amer said:

I think the album was planned as a 2LP set with almost the entire score or near to it.

You are right, Amer. I remember reading that CE3K would be a 2LP set. When it got changed to one LP, and who made the decision to reduce it, it don't know.

17 hours ago, Amer said:

CE3K is in my top 5 Williams list.

That's four places too low.

• 4 months later...

I rearranged all the tracks to have the most complete Chrono edit as possible (guide somewhere on this thread I think). I play this set a lot , more than most other LLL expansions

It's good. But a lot of things are better in chrono, like the inclusion of Watching the Skies, 5 notes source bits as buildup, no repetition with Helicopter stuck to False Alarm, the lovely Stars and Trucks instead of that crappy edit, etc.

2 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

He'll see red if one friggin nanosecond is outside of strict chronological order. 

Meanwhile, I see red, when modern releases fuck the listening experience in the ass just in order to be chronological and provide clean endings of every goddamn cue.

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to the 1998 release a lot when I first got it, which was the first peak of my film scoredom when I was first discovering the magic of film scores in general.  Then I really didn't listen to it that often for almost 20 years until this came out, and the amazing new sound quality and new presentation really made me fall in love with the score all over again in a new way.  It's a masterpiece.

I listened to random disc 2 tracks earlier, some of them were quite jarring after becoming accustomed to tracks on disc 1.

Was confused when the end of The Returnees (disc 1) appeared at the end of I Can't Believe It's Real (disc 2)... but I accept this isn't a score or film I'm totally familiar with, so presumably the former is just another example of JW's "listening experience" cue combos (I didn't check the liner notes for an explanation).

"I Can't Believe It's Real" is a track from the 1977 OST LP, which combined 11M2/12M1 The Mountain with 16M3 The Pilots Return, with edits

"The Returnees" is 16M3 The Pilots Return in its own track with no edits.

• 3 months later...

I'm ashamed to say I played this excellent set again today for the first time in a couple of years. I've hardly listened to it. I can't believe its nearly three years since release. 

What impressed me again today were the three "Source Music" Orchestral cues on Disc 2. The first sounding like a lost Main Title to some Ernest Gold-esque Biblical Epic that was never made. The second terrific action cue pre-echoes Williams work on Superman a year later. Plus a joy to hear Williams "Stalling Around" in the cartoon music. 

Just more testament to Williams' great versatility really. Also I love the idea of what feels like two completely separate scores for the same movie spread over two discs. 

Just now, stravinsky said:

Also I love the idea of what feels like two completely separate scores for the same movie spread over two discs. 

Hehe, yea

3 hours ago, stravinsky said:

I'm ashamed to say I played this excellent set again today for the first time in a couple of years. I've hardly listened to it. I can't believe its nearly three years since release. 

What impressed me again today were the three "Source Music" Orchestral cues on Disc 2. The first sounding like a lost Main Title to some Ernest Gold-esque Biblical Epic that was never made. The second terrific action cue pre-echoes Williams work on Superman a year later. Plus a joy to hear Williams "Stalling Around" in the cartoon music. 

Just more testament to Williams' great versatility really. Also I love the idea of what feels like two completely separate scores for the same movie spread over two discs. 

Yeah the source music is a great inclusion.

I must admit I don't think I've listened to the album itself since I first received it - I appreciate the care that went into the creative split between the discs, but I still prefer to listen to my own mostly chronological sequencing.

10 hours ago, stravinsky said:

The first sounding like a lost Main Title to some Ernest Gold-esque Biblical Epic that was never made.

It actually makes me sad that JW never got to do a Rózsaesque genre of epic!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

You uploaded it to the Cover Image area, instead of the Profile Photo area. It's the button on the left

Thankyou for your help Jay. And your estimable knowledge. In general. 

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

It actually makes me sad that JW never got to do a Rózsaesque genre of epic!

I guess the Genre had long died out by the 70s but imagine what Williams would have done with such a movie! 

• 1 year later...

I was watching this masterpiece the other day. What an experience! It's incredible how it holds well to this day.

I was wondering about the Gobi Desert sequence. I don't remember any mention of the music in any release. Was it combined from other cues?

I'm sorry to resurrect the thread for such a dumb question... :(

It's tracked from Appearance of the Visitors / The Light Show / The Mountain / Encounter at Crescendo Summit

Williams never wrote any music for it, it was never in the cut he scored in 1977 and the only new scene he scored for the SE in 1980 is the newly shot scene inside the mothership

14 hours ago, phbart said:

I'm sorry to resurrect the thread for such a dumb question... :(

Any question, chat, comment, or post, about CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - whether film, or score - is not dumb.

In 1980, the Cotopaxi sequence was one of many scenes known as "new new".

On 19/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Any question, chat, comment, or post, about CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - whether film, or score - is not dumb.

In 1980, the Cotopaxi sequence was one of many scenes known as "new new".

And the combined music from the sources Jay mentioned worked so well that I always thought it was original music.

• 2 months later...

Please do open up the discussion for this score again! I have just received the remaster today. I am in awe of the quality of this score and the presentation. I haven't appreciated this score or movie enough over the years. I re watched  the movie the other day knowing this presentation of the score was on its way to me.  And just wow! I have only listened to cd 1 once so far, and I'm already reassessing my top 5 Williams scores, thinking this could get to the top! The music for this film and the way it complements what's going on, on the screen is awesome. I knew it was a good score but my goodness. It really is a masterpiece

Yes It really is. And I haven't listened to cd 2 yet. Or read all the booklet with the info on it.  It also makes me reappreciate just how much talent Mr Williams has and how much he was on fire around those years. Banging out Classic after Classic!  Work after Work of brilliance!   

Personally Superman still shades it along with A New Hope, but I have listened to those a lot more and prefer those two movies. So like I said, Im thinking this could take over after a few more listens.