The Next Matessino/Williams/Spielberg Expansion

crumbs

The Next Matessino Expansion  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams score would you like Matessino to tackle next?

• Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Schindler's List
    • Amistad
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich

This poll is closed to new votes

With another two superb score expansions under his belt, Matessino appears to be steamrolling through the Spielberg/Williams collaboration like a freight train. With Spielberg and Williams both clearly invested in Matessino's assemblies, there's an obvious question: what next?

Matessino has now expanded 8 of their 28 collaborations, with a further 4 previously expanded (incomplete) by other producers. 4 scores are apparently licenced to another label (the Indy scores). Assuming no scores from the last 6 years will see an expansion anytime soon (due to union fees or otherwise), which score do you hope Matessino targets next?

Film Last Official Release Score Notes
Sugarland Express N/A JW has vetoed release
Jaws 2015 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Close Encounters 2017 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
1941 2011 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Raiders of the Lost Ark 2008 (Expanded, Incomplete) Concord still have the licence?
E.T. 2017 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Temple of Doom 2008 (Expanded, Incomplete) Concord still have the licence?
Empire of the Sun 2014 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
The Last Crusade 2008 (Expanded, Incomplete) Concord still have the licence?
Always 1989 OST  
Hook 2012 (Expanded) Expansion incomplete
Jurassic Park 2016 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Schindler's List 1993 OST Sessions leaked (Incomplete)
The Lost World 2016 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Amistad 1997 OST  
Saving Private Ryan 1998 OST OST practically complete
A.I. 2015 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Minority Report 2002 OST Sessions leaked (Complete)
Catch Me If You Can 2002 OST  
The Terminal 2004 OST  
War of the Worlds 2005 OST Sessions leaked (Complete)
Munich 2005 OST OST mostly complete
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 2008 OST Sessions leaked (Complete)
Tintin 2011 OST Too recent?
War Horse 2011 OST Too recent?
Lincoln 2012 OST Too recent?
The BFG 2016 OST Too recent?
The Post 2017 OST Too recent?

Schindler's List seems like a certainty at this point. Probably the most prestigious title and also a Universal release. Everything points to it.

Yep, Schindler's List 25th Anniversary has a great ring to it. Jurassic Park, The Lost World and E.T. all Universal films, so there's a working relationship there with LLL.

I do think Matessino might have built up enough trust with Williams & Spielberg to be granted such a personal project. On the other hand I could see either director or composer being disinterested in expanding that score for personal reasons. But if ever there were a time for that score to be handled properly by any combination of label/producer/designer, it's right now with LLL and Matessino.

Besides, in table form, it just seems the obvious next choice. Sugarland is seemingly off the cards, Indy isn't available to LLL (once Concord lose it, Disney Records will claim it) and Always is... well, Always. Does it even have much unreleased score?

Wouldn't be surprised if we got Schindler's and Amistad next year, two dramatic scores with lots of unreleased music, both over 20 years old (smaller union/reuse fees?)

I guess Saving Private Ryan could get reissued. I don't see the point of an expansion/remastering unless there's some drastic improvement in AQ from a modern transfer of the tape elements. The OST is already a near-complete, comprehensive presentation of the score.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yep, Schindler's List 25th Anniversary has a great ring to it. Jurassic Park, The Lost World and E.T. all Universal films, so there's a working relationship there with LLL.

I do think Matessino might have built up enough trust with Williams & Spielberg to be granted such a personal project. On the other hand I could see either director or composer being disinterested in expanding that score for personal reasons. 

But if ever there were a time for that score to be handled properly by any combination of label/producer/designer, it's right now with LLL and Matessino.

I do wonder whether Williams might be more protective of the Schindler's List OST that he would be of the others that have been released. Mikey Baby seems to be uniquely gifted though when it comes to working with and getting the approval of Williams :)

We'd probably get the original programme preserved and restored on the second disc. That's a point actually - how many discs would it need? It's been a while since I saw the film or heard the music but I do recall it being long. Fairly sparsely scored though, no?

3 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

I do wonder whether Williams might be more protective of the Schindler's List OST that he would be of the others that have been released. Mikey Baby seems to be uniquely gifted though when it comes to working with and getting the approval of Williams :)

We'd probably get the original programme preserved and restored on the second disc.

Yeah, that was definitely a very considered OST presentation, especially with all the concert arrangements of themes.

I actually think the complete score (including alternates and source music) might require 3 discs, if the (incomplete) session leaks are any indication.

As leaked definitely but if I recall correctly a lot of the alternates are extremely subtle (like an opening note being sustained so that the cue would start earlier). There were also a lot of different takes for source music included which I dare say would be dropped for an expansion. Personally I'm only interested in alternates if there is something different about the writing and not just refinements of the same idea.

I didn't realise the leak was incomplete though but again, it has been a while and I'm not overly familiar with the score outside of the OST.

I never listened to the sessions all the way through (and don't have them anymore) but I similarly recall most of the "alternates" just being slight variations in takes that wouldn't be included on a Matessino expansion. He'll assemble it like all his other releases, combining takes exactly as Williams requested at the sessions (and possibly including a few alternate takes if they're radically different from the film version).

Still, if they included the OST presentation, there's enough alternates, inserts, concert arrangements and source music to justify 3 discs... I think.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

With another two superb score expansions under his belt, Matessino appears to be steamrolling through the Spielberg/Williams collaboration like a freight train. With Spielberg and Williams both clearly invested in Matessino's assemblies, there's an obvious question: what next?

Matessino has now expanded 8 of their 28 collaborations, with a further 4 previously expanded (incomplete) by other producers. 4 scores are apparently licenced to another label (the Indy scores). Assuming no scores from the last 6 years will see an expansion anytime soon (due to union fees or otherwise), which score do you hope Matessino targets next?

Film Last Official Release Score Notes
Sugarland Express N/A JW has vetoed release
Jaws 2015 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Close Encounters 2017 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
1941 2011 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Raiders of the Lost Ark 2008 (Expanded, Incomplete) Concord still have the licence?
E.T. 2017 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Temple of Doom 2008 (Expanded, Incomplete) Concord still have the licence?
Empire of the Sun 2014 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
The Last Crusade 2008 (Expanded, Incomplete) Concord still have the licence?
Always 1989 OST  
Hook 2012 (Expanded) Expansion incomplete
Jurassic Park 2016 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Schindler's List 1993 OST Sessions leaked (Incomplete)
Amistad 1997 OST  
Saving Private Ryan 1998 OST OST practically complete
A.I. 2015 (Matessino, Complete) Complete
Minority Report 2002 OST Sessions leaked (Complete)
Catch Me If You Can 2002 OST  
The Terminal 2004 OST  
War of the Worlds 2005 OST Sessions leaked (Complete)
Munich 2005 OST OST mostly complete
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 2008 OST Sessions leaked (Complete)
Tintin 2011 OST Too recent?
War Horse 2011 OST Too recent?
Lincoln 2012 OST Too recent?
The BFG 2016 OST Too recent?
The Post 2017 OST Too recent?

I will say definitively that you can remove the question mark.  The Post is too recent.

Humphf!!

I started the last poll, and at the end of it, I clearly said

On 8/31/2017 at 2:29 AM, Jay said:

I'll do a new poll in January once we see if anything else comes out this year!

Something I recently reinforced in some other thread somewhere.

I wanted to have people actually enjoy CE3K before immediately thinking about the next one.

Too soon man, too soon!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wanted to have people actually enjoy CE3K before immediately thinking about the next one.

People have become spoiled brats: even before they receive a release, they're already thinking about the next one. They don't even take the time to appreciate what they got that they're already thinking about what they want next.

Now I understand why Disney is releasing trailers for sequels before the films they're meant to follow hit theaters...

Sugarland express, its an important score in my mind due to the fact it’s the first collaboration between Williams and Spielberg.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

People have become spoiled brats: even before they receive a release, they're already thinking about the next one. They don't even take the time to appreciate what they got that they're already thinking about what they want next.

And you don't think LLL/MM is already working on what they can come out with next?  Wouldn't make much business-sense to not already be working on the next batch(es) of JW/SS release(s). 

My vote was for Amistad, due to what I've read on the boards regarding the amount of unreleased material.  Plus I was very impressed with the rerecording of Dry Your Tears, Africa on the collaboration album, as it renewed my interest in the score.  Hope it did for JW as well and it's in the works!

I wonder after recording Marion's Theme, he would like to have the Indy series revisited as well?

Besides the obvious choice of an Indy C&C set release, I would have Amistad, Schindler's List, Minority Report, and WotW in my most-wanted.  I've heard the session leaks for MR & WotW and would love to get a LLL/MM treatment of these in the near future.  

Chad

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

@Thor will certainly be with me in this.

NONE of the above. I hope he tackles with an early Williams score that it's still completely unreleased.

....like The Sugarland Express, an option in this poll.

I don't think filmmusic read the thread clearly enough.  It specifically concerns Spielberg films, not all of JW's work.

Sometimes fees like the union fees can make a score too expensive to license for a limited release.

In the old days it could even be too expensive for a label to release the score at all, only only a small portion if it. Hence those 30 minute OST's back in the day from Varese 

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

This is the only thing that matters.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't think filmmusic read the thread clearly enough.  It specifically concerns Spielberg films, not all of JW's work.

I've read it.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

....like The Sugarland Express, an option in this poll.

Well, Sugarland Express doesn't fall in my "completely unreleased" category, since there is an unofficial release out there.

I meant other scores that are completely unreleased, officially or unofficially. ;)

This Poll should be re-titled as The Next Matessino/Spielberg/Williams Collaboration.

Technically speaking Both JFK and  THE TOWERING INFERNO are already on Matessino's and  LLL's agenda for 2018 as far as we know.

HOOK is one those big releases that deserves another redux with Matessino magic. Hope they can find the the complete material and make it happen.

Also WAR OF THE WORLDS is another big SCI FI opus that deserves the regal treatment.

Schindler's List, for the 25 yo anniversay, not beaucause of the work.

I watch and listen to this score very few, because it's so hard on emotions it can really bring me down.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Schindler's List, for the 25 yo anniversay, not beaucause of the work.

I watch and listen to this score very few, because it's so hard on emotions it can really bring me down.

Yes, it's the perfect score to put on if you're feeling too happy...

Schindler's List tends to be but isn't purely sad. It intensifies emotions like many Morricone scores and when you're happy it can make you even happier. Angela's Ashes and Munich, however, do not work that way for me. Whereas the music of Schindler's List is still "beautiful", Munich is more determined to be just "sad".

49 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Munich is probably Williams' darkest score, with Presumed Innocent a close second. Even so, I would snatch up an expansion of the former :)

Don't forget Sleepers.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I thought that the Schindler's List OST was a tad too long, but as I'll never buy any OST, an MM release would be very welcome.

You never buy any OST? It would be interesting to have a discussion between you and Thor on the subject... if you haven't already. :)

I have, my reason is simple: I just don't want to make space for physical OSTs that aren't definitive. I don't care what any composer wants me to have or not, I want the whole package, just as any book or DVD contains the whole story.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I have, my reason is simple: I just don't want to make space for physical OSTs that aren't definitive. I don't care what any composer wants me to have or not, I want the whole package, just as any book or DVD contains the whole story.

cue

@Thor

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Likewise, what's missing from Always? Surely that OST is near-complete, despite its miniscule runtime.

Dunno, but during a random search at the BMI database, I came across four cue titles that may or may not correspond to unreleased music:

Pete At The Refrigerator

Explosion Of Pete's Plane

Dorinda's Flying Entrance

Dorinda Survives

Harry Potter. I dont care enough for recent JW/SS scores. certainly not that awful bfg.

• 3 weeks later...