Quentin Tarantino to possibly direct next Star Trek film

mrbellamy

My immediate reaction upon seeing this: WHY?!?

I was looking forward to another Star Trek film. Beyond was fairly reasonable and a step in the right direction compared to Into Darkness.

Well, I suppose this is one less movie for me to care about.

Disappointing.

Wait... Is it April already? Please tell me it is a certain day in very early April!

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

What's wrong with naked boobs? Surely by 23rd century people would accept their own physicality?

Karol

That movie was already made. It is called Starship Troopers. It is pretty great. ;)

24 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Abrams will shoot the CG-filled scenes, and Tarantino will shoot the R-rated scenes. Whedon will put it all together in the editing room.

And a new Elfman score, yes!

Patrick Stewart said:

"But one of my dreams is to work with Tarantino. I admire his work so much, and to be in a Tarantino film would give me so much satisfaction. So, if he is going to direct something to do with Star Trek and there was the possibility of dear old Jean-Luc showing up again and doing that for Mr Tarantino, I would embrace it."

On 08/12/2017 at 1:29 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

WHY?!?

I was looking forward to another Star Trek film. Well, I suppose this is one less movie for me to care about.

Disappointing.

Hail Abrams!

Conclusion: The Trek actors would love it. OTOH, the Trek fans wouldn't even go see it.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The Trek actors would love it. OTOH, the Trek fans wouldn't even go see it.

Cheers! :D

For the record, I have never written that last sentence that you quote me for.

Just sayin'....

On 09/12/2017 at 1:25 PM, Alexcremers said:

It wasn't necessary for you to write it! 

jj-abrams_0.jpg

Thanks, Boelen!

I am so confused right now. Are you fantasizing me to be an Abrams fanboy for some reason?

Truth be told, I have very little care for him. I liked his first Star Trek, yes, even though the second one is largely embarrassing from a story perspective.

And I thought MI:III was entertaining and Super 8 wasn't bad.

The Force Awakens is even pretty good, yet does have hilariously excessive parallels with the original film(s).

But that's about it, really. Never bothered watching any of his TV shows at all, even though I do watch a lot of TV shows these days.

So... Yep, this is certainly a very strange turn of events. :blink:

I'm all for studios refreshing their properties or going in different directions, but a Trek movie directed by Quentin Tarantino would be a disaster -- especially with the mandated R-rating. If Tarantino is willing to hold back his ego... I could see a soft R Trek film working. But not with "fuck" in every other sentence or Kirk smearing enemy aliens' brains out on the Enterprise.

But if this does happen, Tarantino seems to want the Nu-Trek cast (hence him meeting with J.J. Abrams). Now that would be interesting.

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Joey thinks that Patrick Stewart is thrilled because he wants to say 'fuck' in a Star Trek movie. 

sub-buzz-19939-1485030598-1.jpg?downsize

Only at JWfan!

I will say the fuck word now. You don't know what the fuck I think. I didn't even know Stewart was interested. 

Stefan Disco did say fuck and the reaction was completely negative. 

4 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I am so confused right now. Are you fantasizing me to be an Abrams fanboy for some reason?

Truth be told, I have very little care for him. I liked his first Star Trek, yes, even though the second one is largely embarrassing from a story perspective.

The Force Awakens is even pretty good, yet does have hilariously excessive parallels with the original film(s).

But that's about it, really. Never bothered watching any of his TV shows at all, even though I do watch a lot of TV shows these days.

So... Yep, this is certainly a very strange turn of events. :blink:

Forget it, it’s Alex Cremers. 

8 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Sounds like you like him well enough to me. I bet you choose him over Tarantino! There is no shame in that.

And no, I don't fantasize about you! That's gross!

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I will say the fuck word now. You don't know what the fuck I think. I didn't even know Stewart was interested. 

Stefan Disco did say fuck and the reaction was completely negative. 

My point is,  isn't there already enough of Star Trek Regular? Let's go for something completely different, Joey!

And no, Discovery really isn't all that different from other Trek shows.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sounds like you like him well enough to me. I bet you choose him over Tarantino! There is no shame in that.

Have to admit, that much is true. :P

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

And no, I don't fantasize about you! That's gross!

Yes it is! :lol:

I don't like it when previously 'adult' franchises (Die Hard, Robocop, Expendables etc) 'water down' their content in order to draw in teen audiences who then sit there looking at their phones/chatting anyway. 

I also don't like it when it happens in the opposite direction (with the possible exception of Logan). And with Discovery's content and Tarantino pushing for an 'R' for his movie, it seems that's what's happening to Trek.    

• 2 weeks later...

Trek and Tarantino, separately, are two of my absolute favourite things.

But this movie...I am essentially ignoring it right now because no matter how many more news items I see on it I just cannot quite comprehend that it is real. I don't know whether I feel excited or confused or skeptical or terrified or just ... I think ... mostly ... still disbelieving. It is almost too weird for me to process. Could it be good? It could be the greatest thing ever. Is it bizarre and almost wrong in every way - yeah I think so.

I don't know. I just don't want to expend too much energy processing this until and unless something actually makes me believe it is a reality.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

Could Tarantino balls-up ST any more than Justin Lin did?

Of course Tarantino could do that, ST Beyond is one of the worst movies of that year. In fact, if I was a Trekkie, Beyond would make me burn my Trek pyjamas. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Huh? Now people don't like Beyond? That film shat all over Into Darkness, and I'm no Trekkie.

No, only me and Richard don't like it, but that's only because we've seen 'cinema' in better times.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Huh? Now people don't like Beyond? That film shat all over Into Darkness, and I'm no Trekkie.

Huh? Does anyone like Beyond?

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

No, only me and Richard don't like it, but that's only because we've seen 'cinema' in better times.

You're not the only ones! 

On 10/8/2016 at 12:00 AM, Nick1066 said:

I finally got around to watching Star Trek Beyond.

What an absolute piece of garbage. The worst two hours of Star Trek ever produced. Worse than Spock's Brain. Worse than Code of Honor. Worse than the worst two hours of Voyager or Enterprise. Worse than Nemesis. Makes Into Darkness (the previous worst) look like The Wrath of Khan by comparison. Absolutely awful. It has nothing to do with Star Trek, and is a disgrace to the name.  The cast, who are mostly decent (with the exception of Quinto's portrayal of Spock as a psychopath serial killer in waiting) is mostly wasted. Which is a pity because Pine & Urban are mostly good. And the score is OK. The Yorktown is in fact a beautiful creation but otherwise the CGI...terrible. No sense at all that the characters are in the space their supposed to be occupying. Just a lot of running around screaming and stupid trying to be cool one liners. If at some point in the development process there was message about exploration and reaching the frontier and loneliness it was lost by the time it hit the screen. And the less said about the Beastie Boys as a crucial plot point in a Star Trek movie, the better.

Anyone who actually thinks this is a throwback to the style of TOS is either drunk or doesn't know the first thing about Star Trek. It's the Die Another Day of the Star Trek franchise...a complete and utter misunderstanding of the source material. 

I'm glad this movie failed, and I hope they never make another Trek in the Abramsverse. I'm going to take a shower and then put in Deep Space Nine.

So yeah, bring on Tarantino I say! Anyone but Justin Lin.