Quentin Tarantino to possibly direct next Star Trek film

mrbellamy

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He seems a bit of a pretentious git!

Hey! That's the next director of Star Trek you're talking about! Try to show some respect.

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

What would QT see in Star Trek apart from the cool, 60's retro stuff he seems to be into?

And that's something Star Trek desperately needs to move away from.

Just now, Stefancos said:

What would QT see in Star Trek apart from the cool, 60's retro stuff he seems to be into?

And that's something Star Trek desperately needs to move away from.

I don't think he wants to go back to the TV look of the '60s. Anyway, with Tarantino we might get a more interesting movie. The last one (Star Trek Beyond) was downright moronic. 

What do you think OT sees in Star Trek though?

I have no idea but that makes it intriguing for me. It could be TLJ of Star Trek. ;)

• 1 month later...
Just now, Dieter Stark said:

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

I could use a ton of colourful metaphors to describe the idea of a Star Trek film having swears in it 'just because'.

Discovery had fbombs already, it was jarring as hell tbh. What was supposed to be edgy and progressive was instead just cringy as fuck. I suppose you could say it fitted the whole show quite well then, but it certainly didn't fit Star Trek. Or at least my idea of Star Trek.

Discovery took a lot of flack for that. It was even addressed on air in one episode. 

Many find no problem with cursing.  

Using it at many workplaces will get you terminated. 

Just wait till next week when Woody tells Bo Peep he wants to fuck her. That will go over well.

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Discovery had fbombs already, it was jarring as hell tbh. What was supposed to be edgy and progressive was instead just cringy as fuck. I suppose you could say it fitted the whole show quite well then, but it certainly didn't fit Star Trek. Or at least my idea of Star Trek.

Never watched more than the last episode of Season 2 of Discovery, so I did not know that, but from what I read there, Tarantino is going to put that in the shade. What I was saying was that previous Star Trek films have gone no stronger than a handful of shits, a bastard and a son of a bitch. F-bombs don't seem particularly Star Trek to me either, it seems just so completely out of the blue (kudos to the people who got the joke I was making before).

Also, the Kelvin crew got dumped, so what's this one going to be about anyway? Kill Bill In Space? Grindhouse Aboard The Enterprise?

Who says the Kelvin crew got dumped?

Stands to reason the rest won't be coming back after Pine refused to take a pay cut and negotiations for further instalments involving them got shelved indefinitely.

The Tarantio approach reeks of desperation.  If you cannot tell a compelling story without ultra-violence and language (two things previously foreign to the SW universe), adding them will not make the film good.  Perhaps there is a quality story in the script he refers to, but I am guessing it is run of the mill and will be covered in a veneer of "adultness." 

Part of the fun of an existing mythos is seeing interesting and sometimes brilliant stories told when the writers have such constraints.  Breaking them is weak-storytelling (Rian Johnson-tracking ships through hyperspace and JJ-beaming anywhere in the galaxy, I am looking at you). 

I seem to remember that the idea was that it was gonna be the Abrams cast, Karl Urban talked about it not long ago. Pine would probably be more willing to negotiate if it’s actually gonna be QT.

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They are still under contract!

IIRC Beyond was the last film in all of their contracts.

This article suggests that only Pine and Quinto signed a fourth film. No doubt they were in the process of negotiating the other actors before Pine and Hemsworth walked and Clarkson moved on, and Paramount shelved that film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-3-stars-raises-805204

At the time Tarantino's film was first touted, it was stated that Clarkson's film would be the fourth Kelvin film, which is perhaps where I'm getting my assumption that he wasn't doing a Kelvin film from. I guess we'll have to wait and see which route Tarantino takes (and whether the studio gives him as much leeway as he would like).

No more Kelvin universe.  Make it a general order like you can't mention Michael Burnham or spore drive.