Quentin Tarantino to possibly direct next Star Trek film

mrbellamy

1 minute ago, Gistech said:

Can't see Paramount budging on what they were offering Pine, and I doubt the others would come back without him.

He is the fake Captain Kirk.

Isn’t Star Trek supposed to be about the “best of humanity”, anyway? Roddenberry’s vision of a utopian future and all that?

I imagine that’d be hard to pull off with Tarantino’s brand of graphic violence and R rated language. 

Roddenberry was a fool to believe a utopia would exist let alone be entertaining.

We didn't get our first color tv until 1968. It was 27 inches and we thought it was so big.i had a 9' black and white in my bedroom. We were in that sweet spot between Boston, Manchester and Portland. We had 14 over the are channels.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, JoeinAR said:

Roddenberry was a fool to believe a utopia would exist ...

I know you are being facetious, but Star Trek isn't a Utopia. It's still very much our world and its problems but on a bigger, galactic scale.

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I know you are being facetious, but Star Trek isn't a Utopia. It's still very much our world and its problems but on a bigger, galactic scale.

Roddenberry's original vision for Star Trek was a world where people have no problems or conflicts. But other people overruled him.

2 hours ago, The Original said:

Roddenberry's original vision for Star Trek was a world where people have no problems or conflicts. But other people overruled him.

Not quite, it's the vision he began to perpetuate about Star Trek more or less after TOS had ended, and the convention circuit began.

The Next Generation was very much done according to that credo though. Man-kind has solved all it's differences and there is no conflict.

• 1 month later...

QT ranting about the timeline and his love of Shatner on this podcast (about 20:45)

The one thing I can say is it would deal with the Chris Pine timeline. Now I still don’t quite understand, and JJ can’t explain it to me and my editor has tried to explain it to me and I still don’t get it...something happened in the first movie that now kind of wiped the slate clean? I don’t buy that. I don’t like it, I don’t appreciate it, I don’t — fuck that. I don't like that.

I'm gonna lead you down a road: you want the Guardian of Forever to have happened, don't you?

Yeah! I want the whole series to have happened, it just hasn’t happened yet. No, Benedict Cumberbatch, or whatever his name is, is not Khan, alright? Khan is Khan. And I told JJ, like, "I don’t understand this. I don’t like it." And then he was like, "Ignore it! Nobody likes it! I don’t understand it! Just do whatever you want. If you want it to happen the exact way it happened on the series, it can."

So you're honoring the series that you loved and came up with.

Yes, exactly. Somebody asked me "Okay what is it about Star Trek that you like?" Easy. William Shatner. I love WIlliam Shatner as James T. Kirk. That's why I like Star Trek. The reason I like Star Trek more than Star Wars is because William Shatner isn't in Star Wars. William Shatner as James T. Kirk, that is my connection, that is why I like it...the reason I was actually intrigued by the JJ Abrams version of it is because I thought Chris Pine did a fantastic job not just playing Captain Kirk but playing William Shatner’s Captain — he is William Shatner. He’s not just another guy, he’s William Shatner’s Captain Kirk. And Zachary Quinto is literally Leonard Nimoy’s — because they both have the same scene together — he’s his Spock. They fucking nail it. They just nail it.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, Alexcremers said:

I find Chris Pine more believable as a young Kirk than Quinto is as a young Spock.

Agreed. Quinto is a terrible Spock, and I originally applauded his casting because he’s given some very good performances elsewhere (particularly the first season of Heroes). Pine makes Kirk his own. But even he is outshone by Karl Urban’s McCoy, who turned out to be the best casting of the new cast, by far.

Yavar

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

'Yeah! I want the whole series to have happened, it just hasn’t happened yet. No, Benedict Cumberbatch, or whatever his name is, is not Khan, alright? Khan is Khan. And I told JJ, like, "I don’t understand this. I don’t like it." And then he was like, "Ignore it! Nobody likes it! I don’t understand it! Just do whatever you want. If you want it to happen the exact way it happened on the series, it can." ' 

Jeez JJ, maybe take QT's dick out of your mouth and get up off your knees to defend your own work at least  :sarcasm:

You know what the Klingons call a quarterpounder pounder with cheese, on Quonos? They call it a "ta'pach, ma gogh!"

You mean they don't call it a quarterpounder?

No, man, they use the metric system, they don't know what the fuck a quarterpounder is.

On 23/07/2019 at 2:19 AM, mrbellamy said:

The one thing I can say is it would deal with the Chris Pine timeline. Now I still don’t quite understand, and JJ can’t explain it to me and my editor has tried to explain it to me and I still don’t get it...something happened in the first movie that now kind of wiped the slate clean? I don’t buy that. I don’t like it, I don’t appreciate it, I don’t — fuck that. I don't like that.

Someone this stupid has no business directing any Sci-fi movie, let alone ST. 

Yeeees, buuuuut...he's also saying that he doesn't understand the events that led to the alternate timeline, and that he doesn't care.

It's a little like a director offering to make ROTJ, but saying "Darth Vader is Luke's dad? Nah, fuck that".

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Someone this stupid has no business directing any Sci-fi movie ...

But most sci-fi movies are dumb action flicks.

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's a little like a director offering to make ROTJ, but saying "Darth Vader is Luke's dad? Nah, fuck that".

Now there's an idea! Vader lied! It would instantly restore his coolness!

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He’s saying he prefers the original timeline, like all Trek fans. How is that stupid?

I get that it might be his way of simply saying he doesn't like the new timeline, but to say he doesn't understand the notion of alternate timelines--a staple in sci-fi for the last 50 years--is laughable.  

So QT likes the characters and the acting but otherwise absolutely hated JJ's vision of Star Trek. I concur QT.

• 3 weeks later...

Klingon commander. This is Admiral Jack T. Dawson. I'm alive and well on floating driftwood. I know that this will come as a pleasant surprise to you, but our ship was a victim of an unfortunate accident. Sorry about your crew, but as we say on Earth, women and children first.