THE LAST JEDI - Verizon's Death Star 360 Promo music

Will

Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?

• Yes, I think this music is from the Last Jedi score
    • I think its from The Last Jedi, but altered by someone else
    • No, I don't think this music is by John Williams at all.

This poll is closed to new votes

Posted that clip on the main board because it's the first thing I've heard that actually sounds like Williams writing AND the LA freelance orchestra. I think the compression gives the strings a slightly synth-y texture.

The thing that makes it sound legit is the obvious microedits, as if it belonged to a more realised concert suite (ala Imperial March).

And it's just a very memorable melody right off the bat. Plus all the triplets! Basically JW's signature for SW music.

If it's not Williams, it was written by a student of his SW writings.

Whatever it is, it is based on the concert version of 'Imperial March'. Guessing either library music, or someone being hired to stay as close as legally possible to Williams' original (perhaps cheaper than licensing?). If this is, or is based on, new Williams material (which I doubt), I would imagine it is designed to work in conjunction with the original march (though the cadences don't sync up, which makes me doubt it even more). 

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I really think this may be the first real clip of score. Recording quality sounds not unlike that of TFA, and the string flourish at the end really sells it for me. Def sounds like a real orchestra. What do you guys think???

1 hour ago, curlytoot said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I really think this may be the first real clip of score. Recording quality sounds not unlike that of TFA, and the string flourish at the end really sells it for me. Def sounds like a real orchestra. What do you guys think???

I didn't think this was Williams but I seem to always be wrong about this sort of thing so it probably is music from TLJ.

These discussions are always fun.

I'll never forget how many people believed vs didn't believe The Jedi Steps appearing in a commercial was from TFA.

Sounds like Williams emulating The Imperial March while avoiding The Imperial March. Like an incredibly skilled composer was asked to emulate it, but not too closely to avoid legal issues.

Yeah, I dunno, it's a little uncanny valley to me. Too similar to Imperial March to be something Williams himself would write for a new Star Wars film, too many of the flourishes are there, but at the same time it sounds like solid, professional film music which makes me think maybe. If it's him it's not that exciting but the tune isn't bad.

I think it's actual Williams music. Has the same vibe as TFA (and other recent JW scores), as it sounds like great Williams music, but lacking that final spark to make it truly exceptional.

I guess my question would be: Why go with emulating The Imperial March when he could just quote it?

Unless there's some kind of later contrapuntal playfulness involved, it just doesn't quite fit with Williams' modus operandi. But it's certainly competent, and has an opulence to it that I could imagine Williams might conjure, should the narrative require.

All I can say, is that I was never in doubt when I first heard "The Jedi Steps" in that TV spot... 

I didn't,  believe Jedi Steps was Williams at the time and  this one is in the same category

but why go through the trouble of writing a brand new theme by another composer for a commercial whenb they have the recording sessions already and the movie is out in 2 weeks

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I'd be surprised if that was JW. Sounds much more like someone imitating JW.

Actually, the more I listen to it, the more it makes me think about The Imperial Suite at times.

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I'd be surprised if that was JW. Sounds much more like someone imitating JW.

Exactly. A fairly obvious pastiche. I'm betting $100 this is not composed by JW himself, I'm that certain.

3 hours ago, Tryphus said:

Definitely thinking that's an edit of "****************" track.

Dude, please keep track title spoilers outside the track title spoiler thread, thanks!

Lots of posters don't want to know any track titles.

My fault for breaking talk of this TV spot out from various threads, one of which was the real tracklist thread.  I've blanked it out in his post now.

37 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I especially like the weird things going on in the rhythm and meter. The second bar of accompaniment actually has five beats rather than the four of the first bar, so it throws us off when the melody comes in a beat later. The first short idea then overlaps with its repetition, so again it comes as a surprise since it sounds like the end of the first then suddenly becomes the beginning of the second. At the end of the first phrase, the last bar has only three beats, making the repeat of the melody an unexpected entrance. Then there's that ending - who knows what's going on there, but it really sounds like half a beat goes missing somewhere.

1qPm2oJFSuWOI4rtFx06_Confused%20Ice%20Cu

I just want to remind everybody that there are people able to handle sample libraries like this:

The example in the commercial sounds pretty thin, doesn't really feature woodwinds, high strings sound ULTRA SYNTHY, percussion is weak.

This definitely sounds synth (good synth but synth, nonetheless) and way too anonymous to be something Williams wrote for an SW film even if it features his mannerisms. Voting for well studied pastiche. 

Jedi Steps sounded a bit synthy in that commercial but it was either compressed or tampered with.

I'm only hoping it isn't Williams because this is a pretty lackluster way to premiere the score. :P

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

So, wait: you're avoiding the tracklist, but you're willing to listen to what could possibly a bit from the score in a cheap Verizon commercial? You're weird.

Well the track list is confirmed. This could well be a fake and not from the score, like all the other promotional music thus far.