THE LAST JEDI - Verizon's Death Star 360 Promo music

Will

Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?

• Yes, I think this music is from the Last Jedi score
    • I think its from The Last Jedi, but altered by someone else
    • No, I don't think this music is by John Williams at all.

This poll is closed to new votes

26 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I guess anything is possible but why would Disney allow Verizon to use the actual score in the commercial but not in any of the trailers/teasers (as far as we know)?

Well, technically it's an official Disney video, even though it mentions Verizon. It's on the SW YouTube channel, and clearly was made in-house. 

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's from The Post.

Yes! It's evil President Trump Nixon's theme!

2 hours ago, Will said:

Well, technically it's an official Disney video, even though it mentions Verizon. It's on the SW YouTube channel, and clearly was made in-house. 

Yes! It's evil President Trump Nixon's theme!

If it was made in house then this changes everything for me. After listening to it countless times, I'm starting to believe that it may be Williams. Part of me hopes it isn't, though.

Why did Disney released videos and featurettes about characters, lands etc. but kinda ignore JW and his work. If they don't release something before the release date of the movie they will be such wretches.

Well, I’m puzzled. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But according to my 11 year old son, after our very first listen, “this is definitely John Williams”! :-D

I think it is.

I wasn't sure when I first heard it a couple of days ago but I just heard it again and it immediately felt like John Williams.

7 minutes ago, alan1984 said:

I think it is.

I wasn't sure when I first heard it a couple of days ago but I just heard it again and it immediately felt like John Williams. My guess would also be that it's an edit from *************. Can't wait to hear the full track (and score).

You shouldn't use the track names in a non spoiler thread

Anyhow, if it is Williams (and it has all the qualities of his writing in a way), it is quite heavy altered with synths, editing etc. That's what makes it hard to judge, but otherwise it would be a great pastiche. I've been humming the melody all night now!

The ending is just not right for this to be Williams surely. That snare drum is clearly samples, yet it's quite clearly a vital part of the orchestration of that crescendo. Smells of a pastiche that they had budget for live recording on - however no perc in the session. Also too similar to the Imperial March structure for me for this to be Williams. I would be disappointed if this ended up on the OST as a major track, let's just say that.

I was sure Jedi Steps was Williams the second it first appeared in that TV spot. This, yeah, I'm just not sure. The melody didn't grab me at first, but that's not uncommon, and there have been quite a few of Williams' themes that really grew on me after I initially didn't think much of them. It does sound like it could be from the score. Hmm.. All in all, I'm ready for the wait to be over^. 

Jedi Steps I picked it up too. I went back and read that thread. It was a fun read.

With Jedi Steps it was used in an official TV spot which was a dead give away. And the orchestration was so Williams (or his sound even if he did not orchestrate the entire thing).

To me, this proves unequivocally that it is NOT from the TLJ score. If the guys in charge of cutting all these promo videos for various things had either some dump of the recording sessions or the final OST album, why would this little bit make it to two videos and nothing from the rest anywhere else? 

It's very likely something one of the trailer houses Disney hires to work on marketing came up with.

It wasn't even a theatrical teaser it appeared in, it was a TV commercial.  And iirc it appeared in multiple commercials.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It wasn't even a theatrical teaser it appeared in, it was a TV commercial.  And iirc it appeared in multiple commercials.

Right, that's what I meant to say.

There is another clip of music being posted on Youtube which apparently comes up the DLC segment of BATTLEFRONT II.The Music playing when you you choose your Side for the ""The Last Jedi Season". Could it be TLJ album excerpt?  Shall I post it here? The music sounds interesting.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sure but it's almost certainly Haab.

Its the same sound balance as the rest of the Battlefront II recording. But it is most probably Gordy Haab.

2 minutes ago, azahid said:

The Verizion music can also be found used in a TLJ Video spot here before the red carpet summary. But its mixed low.

Seems very likely now it's from the TLJ score.

I'm 90% sure this is from the actual score. I don't see what else it could be, or what other purpose it could serve. Don't believe it's from Battlefront and I don't know what else calls for such a close imitation of Williams' style that I haven't heard before.

25 minutes ago, RadJ said:

Sounds orchestral to me.

Because it's made using orchestral instruments sample libraries. Why wouldn't it? It's just not live orchestra recording.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

Seems very likely now it's from the TLJ score.

The rest of the video uses generic production library/trailer house stuff, so I'm starting to think no TLJ original JW music has been used at all in these promotional reels. Perhaps Lucasfilm wants to keep it secret until the film is out, or maybe there are some copyright restrictions that prevent from using it in this kind of promo reels.

Star Destroyer isn't John Williams. It is not his musical aesthetics. :(When I heard music from The BFG trailer. I was happy because I thought it was composed by John Williams himself...but that music isn't in movie.

28 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

Star Destroyer isn't John Williams. It is not his musical aesthetics. :(When I heard music from The BFG trailer. I was happy because I thought it was composed by John Williams himself...but that music isn't in movie.

That BFG thing sounds a lot less Williams-y than the Verizon ad, IMO.

Guys those do not sound like synth strings to me when it starts, plus the writing is sharp and the orchestration of the brass is very Williams. The way he changes the tune from one bar to the next by changing one note is also his signature. I mean come on, are you guys that dumb? It's obviously the unused music from Ready Player One ;)