Would you want to see any of George Lucas's new experimental films?

karelm

Would you want to see any of George Lucas' new experimental films?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to see any of George Lucas' new experimental films?

• Absolutely! Star Wars and pop culture films were never what he intended to be known for.
    • Maybe if it was well reviewed or conceived for general audiences rather than experimental/abstract films best relegated to art house/film schools.
    • I'm indifferent to seeing anything new from him.
    • Not interested...I've seen all I need to see from him/these experimental films are too weird for my tastes.

In a Charlie Rose interview made after The Force Awakens was made, George Lucas said he still intends to make movies but they are art house and experimental films he has no intention of publicly showing.  He added that these were the type of films he always intended to make.  Since Lucas's legacy will probably be the pop culture mega hits, he stated he never had any desire to make a popular movie but was far more interested in experimental/avant garde films and Star Wars was just a side project but fate intervened.

This is an example of what he wanted to do as a film maker:

My question - if these post retirement films would be shown, would you want to see them?

I always assumed he says these sorts of things to validate himself to the world that is a "true" artist.  I don't really think they will ever be made and nor do I think he has any real interest in making them.  

How's that for cynical?  

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

I always assumed he says these sorts of things to validate himself to the world that is a "true" artist.  I don't really think they will ever be made and nor do I think he has any real interest in making them.  

How's that for cynical?  

So what's he been doing all this time, scoffing fast food in Adelaide?

I remember seeing Francis Ford Coppola's first film in ten years, Youth without Youth thinking what the hell was that?  I was expecting a return to one of his 70's masterpieces but instead got a nonsensical sequence of visuals.  It made me wonder who is he really?  Maybe I'm too dumb to know what he was always trying to do.

14 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Those are feature films. I took the initial post to be referring to private short films that Lucas himself would be making. If Lucas was to direct another feature film, of course I'd check it out. 

Well, then it sounds like you fall more into this category: Maybe if it was well reviewed or conceived for general audiences rather than experimental/abstract films best relegated to art house/film schools.

Yes, please! Bring it on. He was perhaps never the greatest director of actors, but he's a brilliant filmmaker. A shame we haven't seen more of that side of him in the last few decades. Wish he did the Coppola route.

That's why you shouldn't trust RT.

The best way to know if you should watch a movie is to take the MetaCritic score, multiply it with the IMDB score, divide it by 3, add the Rotten Tomatoes score, calculate the square root of the number you get, and add 6.346 to the result. Then you'll know if the movie is worth your time or not.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Wonder Woman was largely enjoyable but overhyped. 92% wtf?

It was too "been there, done that" to be anywhere near entertaining. And what it had to offer, others have done better in the past. I prefer MOS and BvS, flaws and all.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

That's why you shouldn't trust RT.

The best way to know if you should watch a movie is to take the MetaCritic score, multiply it with the IMDB score, divide it by 3, add the Rotten Tomatoes score, calculate the square root of the number you get, and add 6.346 to the result. Then you'll know if the movie is worth your time or not.

Can’t I just watch a film and make my own mind up about it? 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:18 AM, Bilbo said:

Wonder Woman was largely enjoyable but overhyped. 92% wtf?

92% of the people who reviewed Wonder Woman had a positive impression of it, which means that your comment ("largely enjoyable but overhyped") may help bump it up to 93%!

92% isn't an A-, just a sign that most people enjoyed it.

Yep, the 92% means that percent chose "I liked it" over "I didn't like it". If one were open their eyes, right below the 92% is says "Average rating:  7.5", so it's actually not overrated at all.