Star Wars The Last Jedi red carpet premiere live stream

karelm

From the red carpet premiere from tonight (Saturday, 9 December). Excuse the annoying corporate, bourgeois content of the video, but the very first 40 seconds of the video might be interesting (new statements of Kylo's motif and Rey's theme).

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, fatehbaz said:

From the red carpet premiere from tonight (Saturday, 9 December). Excuse the annoying corporate, bourgeois content of the video, but the very first 40 seconds of the video might be interesting (new statements of Kylo's motif and Rey's theme).

Thoughts?

It's the same trailer garbage.

Move along...

'Rogue One is better'. Hmm, doesn't bode well...

Just now, crumbs said:

Rogue One is a fucking mess, a terrible excuse for a film. Who in their right mind would consider it better than TFA?

Apparently a lot of SW fans enjoyed it, probably in retaliation to TFA which is eternally bashed as a rehash.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Rogue One is a fucking mess, a terrible excuse for a film. Who in their right mind would consider it better than TFA?

Rogue One is a bit of a mess but it's still VERY enjoyable.  It just severely lacks any sort of character development or likability.  TFA delivered that in spades.

Your movie is an instant fail if you don't give a shit about any of the characters. Pretty much like the prequels.

Exact same issue people had with Godzilla and that monotone lead character. Edwards might be able to conjure pretty images but he can't create likable characters to save himself.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

I was one of the fools who thought the Jedi Steps appearance was trailer-trash. I won't appear to be the fool again.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:
4 hours ago, fatehbaz said:

Thoughts?

It's the same trailer garbage.

Move along...

Hmmm...

3 hours ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

Anyone who says that Rogue One is better than TFA needs their head examined.

In retrospect I don't think there's that much between them tbh. Both are 3 star Star Wars flicks. 

Overall, I like The Force Awakens much more. Yes, it's almost unbelievably deriviative, but at least it's fun to watch.

Rogue One is probably the only Star Wars film I don't see myself seeing for a third time. It has no character. It's empty.

Its also every bit as egregious in terms of plot continuity as the prequels. So suddenly, the Death Star has already destroyed several other planets prior to Leia's, and suddenly it takes a while for the planet it hits to explode? Come on! The CG doesn't have nearly as much polish, and for someone that lives an hour's drive from Jerusalem, the design of Jeddah is the most on the nose design in the history of film.

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, great, more people trashing Rogue One like it's a god-awful movie and praising TFA like it's a great movie... Can't people just see they're both movies on the same level, basically average flicks with different, yet still lots of problems?

Shouldn't be that hard to top, right 'The Last Jedi'?;)

Since out of sheer group pressure i will watch this new huckster scheme, too, i hope at least that Johnson's by-all-accounts less scattered filmmaking style may give the maestro at least a handful of scenes where the music is more than perfunctory musical band aid (as in TFA). And hope springs eternal.

I just realized The Last Jedi is coming out later this week, so decided to give TFA a whirl. Haven't seen it since it's theatrical run. I'm half way through it now and really struggling to finish it. What a boring movie. You could tell it's made by the same people who churn out the staple superhero movies every year. 

6 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

I just realized The Last Jedi is coming out later this week, so decided to give TFA a whirl. Haven't seen it since it's theatrical run. I'm half way through it now and really struggling to finish it. What a boring movie. You could tell it's made by the same people who churn out the staple superhero movies every year. 

What a boring poster. You can tell he's the same person bashing superhero movies every year.

Incidentally I liked both GotG vol. 2 and Thor: Ragnarok, but yes I see some nerves were struck. 

Early reactions to TLJ do seem to point out that Rian Johnson has taken some risks with this movie and it's not just a rehash. But we all know how early reactions are... That said, they do give me a new hope that this turns out fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Hurmm said:

I noticed it recently appeared on Netflix here so I was planning on sitting with my 5yr old and doing a recap viewing for him before seeing the new one as it's been a couple of years since he saw it, but I must admit I can't bothered to have to watch it again. 

12 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

Incidentally I liked both GotG vol. 2 and Thor: Ragnarok, but yes I see some nerves were struck. 

No problem, I don't even like most superhero films. :) But to compare them with SW is not cool...

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The whole point is that in Rogue One, the Death Star is not fully operational, hence why it takes a while for a planet it hits to explode.

But than, why would it need an "effective power demonstration" if its power had been demonstrated several times, including one time that happened in the midst of a large-scale battle with the rebels on a planet that hosted a large Imperial garrison?

Good continuity requires a minimum of excuses. The casual audience needn't do a lot of guesswork for it all to make sense.

Its also the forth (!) movie in this franchise where the Death Star features prominently, which makes it all the more worn-out a threat in a marathon viewing. 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

but again, it's also a problem with TFA.

Absolutely, and its also a problem with Return of the Jedi which makes it all the more unfortunate because they are two adjecent episodes which both retread the same plot.

Yeah, this never happens with new Star Wars films. 

It’s the best Star Wars since Empire? Really? Nobody has ever said that as an initial reaction to The Phantom Menace Attack of the Close Revenge of the Sith The Force Awakens Rogue One The Last Jedi

16 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

That basically confirms it as JW right?

Well, that's the thing - not necessarily, methinks, although it does make it more likely. 

For what it's worth, the music they play right after that is trailer stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Well, that's the thing - not necessarily, methinks, although it does make it more likely. 

Nah, the edit is slightly different, makes more sense musically, and has some more notes, compared to the commercial. I think it is more than likely.

On 12/10/2017 at 4:18 AM, BloodBoal said:

Oh, great, more people trashing Rogue One like it's a god-awful movie and praising TFA like it's a great movie... Can't people just see they're both movies on the same level, basically average flicks with different, yet still lots of problems? Maybe one day they will, and then I'll accept their apologies!

TFA is a safe but dull affair. It may have likeable characters, but is ultimately a pretty boring flick, from the rehashed plot to some boring/lazy designs, a movie that takes no risks with the franchise and takes the safest route in terms of story... I don't care if the characters are likeable, if what they're doing isn't engaging.

Rogue One is a bit more of a daring film (as daring as a Disney Star Wars film can be, I suppose), but it does falter in many ways. It does offer stronger visuals (let's try to forget those 2 CG characters!) and tries to do a few different, more interesting things with the franchise, but yes, it is lacking in the characters development department. So, we're told an interesting, engaging story, but it lacks impact because you do not feel invested in the characters.

While I can understand people preferring one over the other, I can't really understand people praising one while trashing the other. Bah!

Brother!!

giphy.gif