Underrated elements of Williams' work?

Seth

His underscore. Williams is most known publicly for his big set pieces such as the Raiders March, the Star Wars theme, the E.T. Flying theme etc. But I think Williams is strongest when he's actually writing "minute-by-minute" film music, i.e. the stuff that you hear in the film.

If I may be forgiven for an nontechnical usage of the term, Williams is a tremendous impressionist composer.  He can represent action in a way that adds to its emotional weight, but he can also create a sense of location, space, weather.  Examples that come to mind:  "Into the Estuary" from Jaws, and "Quidditch, Third Year" from Prisoner of Azkaban.

He is also rarely credited for the complexity and inventiveness he is capable of.  Track the variations on his motifs and the unique material in the first example, all crammed into a few minutes of music.

His ability to read a scene is impeccable, including when to pull the music out. And I don't just mean in big set pieces with no score, like the opening of Saving Private Ryan, but on a more micro level, including his awareness of how the score will fit in the overall mix. There was this example in a recent Home Alone oral history:

Michael Wilhoit [supervising sound editor]: At that time, there were no computers. It was all 35 mm magnetic film. It was very old school, and yet it was a cutting-edge mix. Oftentimes, composers would play over action. John Williams and I decided he would lead the music up to the critical moment of the sound and then the sound effect would be the payoff. If the music had run all the way through, it would have been more cartoonish.