THE LAST JEDI - Score mentions in online reviews & social media, etc

crumbs

No reactions on Twitter about the score yet. Don't really want to read too many reactions lest someone reveals some huge spoiler.

Also, is it weird we've heard next to nothing from JW about the score? TFA had, what, two separate featurettes with JW, two 60 Minutes features, a 30 minute Tavis Smiley interview, countless newspaper articles. I think the only time JW's even mentioned TLJ was that radio interview for the Spielberg/Williams collaboration, plus the infamous "I don't want anyone else scoring for Daisy!" anecdotes at his concerts.

The 60 Minutes episodes were done because this was the first Star Wars film by different people, and it had been a decade since the previous film. Now that we've had a few films already nobody on those shows care.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Still, no newspaper articles? TV interviews? It's the 40th anniversary since the first film.

Don't complain, at least we got the 40th anniversary 3LP set.

:P

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Musical surprises

An electric guitar!

The E.T. theme!

Jurassic Park theme!

A hommage to Johnny Halliday!

1 hour ago, Obi said:

I'm so bored about guys who wants better score than TFA. Guys who only want a new Duel of the Fates are no scores or JW real fans.

Or maybe they are guys who are fans of film music as music in a film?

Each of these scores need a pair of "big" memorable themes with strong, well-mixed statements. Once you have that, you can be as lyrical and as leitmotivically dense as you want, but you have to give the casual moviegoer something to rest his or her hat onto.

1 hour ago, Obi said:

I'm so bored about guys who wants better score than TFA. Guys who only want a new Duel of the Fates are no scores or JW real fans.

The TFA score is the weakest of the series. I will be disappointed if this one is not a lot better. 

It's not an unjustified opinion to consider the TFA score disappointing as it appears in the film. Not only were some of the score highlights deleted from the film, but the score itself was treated poorly in the mix (rendering a lot of the score's finer details inaudible). Not to mention all the microedits which do the score no favours.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Or maybe they are guys who are fans of film music as music in a film?

Each of these scores need a pair of "big" memorable themes with strong, well-mixed statements. Once you have that, you can be as lyrical and as leitmotivically dense as you want, but you have to give the casual moviegoer something to rest his or her hat onto.

When people refer to the prequels like that, I feel like they often mean a heavy choral presence like ‘Duel of the Fates’ or a large portion of RotS. And that’s ultimately not a main characteristic of the series’ music, historically speaking. 

Are there any more comments on the score? I have only seen two comments on is so far, the comment above and the other one who said it sounded like good Williams but didn't say more than that.

2 hours ago, Obi said:

I want a better score than the sub par TFA but I don’t need a new Duel of the Fates.

Oh well, I know the score by heart and it's been my most listened to album in the last two years probably - but each to his own.

Opinions aside, I hope that Rian Johnson's movie leaves more room for the music to play a prominent role.

Just now, Obi said:

I caricatured a little, because it's often that I read (but not here).

I personnally adore the TFA score. 

Me too.

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Still, finding TFA to be the weakest score in a series that has AOTC in it...

Yes, Attack of the Clones is another contender for worst Williams Star Wars score. But at least it has this incredible love theme that any member of the audience will not necessarily hum but certainly be made aware of and learn to recognise. There's nothing like that in The Force Awakens, except for statements of existing themes.

15 minutes ago, Remco said:

When people refer to the prequels like that, I feel like they often mean a heavy choral presence like ‘Duel of the Fates’ or a large portion of RotS. And that’s ultimately not a main characteristic of the series’ music, historically speaking. 

Sure, choir can feel out of place in a Star Wars score. I don't need a SATB choir chanting (even though I do love a good choir), but I do need a grand theme that's easily identifyable in the film.

Just now, Chen G. said:

Yes, Attack of the Clones is another contender for worst Williams Star Wars score. But at least it has this incredible love theme thay any member of the audience will not necessarily hum but certainly be made aware of and learn to recognise. There's nothing like that in The Force Awakens, except for statements of existing themes.

Rey's theme is just that.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Yes, Attack of the Clones is another contender for worst Williams Star Wars score. But at least it has this incredible love theme that any member of the audience will not necessarily hum but certainly be made aware of and learn to recognise. There's nothing like that in The Force Awakens, except for statements of existing themes.

Sure, choir can feel out of place in a Star Wars score. I don't need a SATB choir chanting (even though I do love a good choir), but I do need a grand theme that's easily identifyable in the film.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Rey's theme is just that.

I was about to say the same thing. But its cool for people to prefer different scores. Whatever. I just don't like how the woodwinds were mixed out of the score and some of the sloppy string playing in a few sections. Nothing major with the playing just not super tight. Plus the trumpets were a tad too loud in general masking every intricacy behind them. Otherwise a great score in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Kostov said:

Why, why, why??? I'm really disappointed.

Wait, I'm confused now. What part are you disappointed about? That there is no mention of score yet or that there's nothing being put out? or both?

4 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Wait, I'm confused now. What part are you disappointed about? That there is no mention of score yet or that there's nothing being put out? or both?

I prefer to see JW conducting. I don't wanna know so much about peoples thoughts and don't get me wrong here, I respect others opinions but now exactly I really want to hear(not to read comments) the music and enjoy it.

56 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The Star Wars fans I know on twitter were all about Rey’s theme for weeks after TFA and they generally know nothing about film music! 

Star Wars Fans not being aware of film music is an oxymoron.

Not a valid gauge of the popularity.

Some wonderful callbacks to past films.

Awesome comments!  But the above interests me the most!  Luke and Leia's theme perhaps?  I wonder what else?

Spoiler

Yoda's theme?

2 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

That Anthony Breznican tweet seems like he was doing his best to find the nicest way to say he didn’t even notice the score. 

Lol kinda my thought too.

3 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

That Anthony Breznican tweet seems like he was doing his best to find the nicest way to say he didn’t even notice the score. 

Yeah, I don’t think he has a clue.

So on the John Campea show on youtube today he was asked about the score.

"Was the musical score up to par?"

"I loved the music. Loved it. They new exactly when to use the recognizable Star Wars music and they knew exactly when to put John Williams's new stuff. Williams does it again. Williams totally does it again, I love the music in the movie"

@ 45.26 (apologies, I don't know how to clip things or make things start in certain places.) EDIT: Also at 51.48 he says somewhat the same thing.

Hope so. I see people arguing up there rather than being excited together for a new score! lol