Williams nominated for THE POST at 2018 Golden Globe

TownerFan

Fantastic news! Congratulations Maestro!

Obviously TLJ wasn't eligible due to the late screenings (or the fact nobody has heard it). Still, with only 40 minutes of score, I can't see it winning.

3 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

TJF maybe not deserve to be nominated :(:eh:

I can forgive a typo, but what is TJF..?

EDIT: I see you noticed already. ;)

2 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

TLJ maybe not deserve to be nominated :(:eh:

It's just the typical thing where these organizations rush to get their nominees out for the headlines, so they finish up before they've even seen / heard everything the year has to offer.  It's pretty pathetic, really.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Shape of Water or Phantom Thread will win

But congrats to Johnny :)

This. Though I have a horrifying feeling that Zimmer might win as well.

I hope to God the academy disqualifies him for Dunkirk.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This. Though I have a horrifying feeling that Zimmer might win as well.

I hope to God the academy disqualifies him for Dunkirk.

I haven't heard the score but why would it be disqualified?

9 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

The score could be disqualified if it doesn't contain enough original material. Ref. Elgar. Not that anything coming from Zimmer could be called original...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It's just the typical thing where these organizations rush to get their nominees out for the headlines, so they finish up before they've even seen / heard everything the year has to offer.  It's pretty pathetic, really.

Is TLJ ineligible for that very reason or can it still be nominated for the Golden Globes in 2019?  I'm guessing not since TFA wasn't nominated.

59 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The score could be disqualified if it doesn't contain enough original material. Ref. Elgar. Not that anything coming from Zimmer could be called original...

Jurassic answered the questions correctly. The Academy (body which hands out the oscars) has rules regarding existing music used in films. If they deem that the existing music is too prominent/memorable and dilutes the effect of the original score, the score is dsiqulified. This is only done for the Academy awards, the other award giving bodies like Golden Globes follow their own rules. A high profile example of this is last year when the Academy disqualified Arrival and a decade ago they famously disqualified There Will Be Blood as well. 

56 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Is TLJ ineligible for that very reason or can it still be nominated for the Golden Globes in 2019?  I'm guessing not since TFA wasn't nominated.

TLJ remains to be seen (heard). But TFA had a wealth of new material to be considered an original score. Sequel scores are eligible provided they have new material. TFA was safe on that front. If I remember correctly - in the FYC album for the academy they dial out or minimize statements of pre-existing material to just present the new material for consideration.

If there is too much old material then the score can be disqualified. But I think that is never a problem with Williams. He has been nominated many sequel scores (Star Wars, Indy, Harry Potter).

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

You assume incorrectly.

Nice try...

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

If there is too much old material then the score can be disqualified. But I think that is never a problem with Williams. He has been nominated many sequel scores (Star Wars, Indy, Harry Potter).

Could this be a reason why sequels sometimes underuse the themes of the original movie?

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

For example sequels to movies scored by JW, but when the sequel is scored by someone else. For example Harry Potter.

Honestly not all movies have a chance at an Academy award nomination. So that's not the reason. Like say Desplat for Harry Potter could have been nominated if the film found traction.

Different composers basically want to put their own spin on a franchise with new themes. So that's the main reason rather than gunning for Academy awards which honestly many of these films don't have a chance at eitherways.

Score nominations mostly go to drama scores for prestige films.

Congrats to JW, not that we didn't expect him to not get nominated for this. 

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Honestly not all movies have a chance at an Academy award nomination. So that's not the reason. Like say Desplat for Harry Potter could have been nominated if the film found traction.

Different composers basically want to put their own spin on a franchise with new themes. So that's the main reason rather than gunning for Academy awards which honestly many of these films don't have a chance at eitherways.

Score nominations mostly go to drama scores for prestige films.

Yup. It's rare for genre films to get major nominations when it comes to scores, unless the music is super-acclaim, and the film somehow gets nominated for best picture, and even then it's likely to be snubbed. It's a "snobbish" system.