THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

I think JW has a secret goal to sneak in little references to PT music in odd and obscure ways just for fun and because no one is ever going to ask him to revisit PT music the way he is endlessly returning to themes from the OT. Let's call them easter eggs.  

I’m sorry but I can’t resist lol just a joke and an observation. Love you all deeply madly and non organically

1081B65C-ADDF-4C98-8050-B1D0E4A9B912.MP4

Wait, WTF, why do people have to download it?! It's supposed to just be there..... Ugh, I'm too old for computers!!!

So after seeing the film again, I noticed a few more unreleased bits that I quite like (well, all the unreleased bits I like, but here are a choice few):

- There sounds to me like an additional, more subtle Poe's theme cut from "Escape" when he first appears that's really cool

- The March of the Resistance variation that plays over Holdo's speech is one of the best in the score, I think, and not on the OST

- The "On the Inside" motif is all over this score and the unreleased cues especially, the best being the scene where Finn and Rose sneak away from the main ship

- Probably the best version of Rey's theme not included on the soundtrack, besides the training bit, is when she's in the Falcon searching for the rest of the Resistance

1 minute ago, DominicCobb said:

So after seeing the film again, I noticed a few more unreleased bits that I quite like (well, all the unreleased bits I like, but here are a choice few):

- There sounds to me like an additional, more subtle Poe's theme cut from "Escape" when he first appears that's really cool

- The March of the Resistance variation that plays over Holdo's speech is one of the best in the score, I think, and not on the OST

- The "On the Inside" motif is all over this score and the unreleased cues especially, the best being the scene where Finn and Rose sneak away from the main ship

- Probably the best version of Rey's theme not included on the soundtrack, besides the training bit, is when she's in the Falcon searching for the rest of the Resistance

Typical Williams release! All the best bits left out!

5 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I don't remember this scene at all. Is this at the end after the Battle of Crait?

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't remember this scene at all. Is this at the end after the Battle of Crait?

Yeah, it's a short bit, the Resistance is going through the tunnels and she's piloting the Falcon looking for them while R2 searches using the tracker. Rey's theme is played here in a big (albeit brief) way, first the the intro, then the main part of the theme.

Oh, also, I'm like 50% sure I heard a quick appearance of the map motif in one of Luke's scenes.

Its not a map motif.

Its just these chords that Williams ever so often uses to evoke a sense of mystery. In the original Star Wars, it was the mystery of Tatooine as the Droids land there. In Raiders of the Lost Ark, its the secrets of the Ark. In Kingdom of the Crystal Skull its the nature of the skull, in The Force Awakens, its the mystery of Luke's whereabouts, which obviously ties to the map. Here - god knows what its for, but if its in there - its there more as a "style" of Williams writing than as a leitmotif.

It doesn't matter. They aren't a score-specific melody that represents something in that score. They are a stylistic tool that Williams uses across many scores.

Think of them as the Williams' cousin to the Horner danger gesture.

On 24.12.2017 at 5:15 AM, Stefancos said:

Typical Williams release! All the best bits left out!

To be fair, this time it was hard not to exclude some great bits. A double disc set would have been nice.

Just walked out, 2nd viewing. Such an underwhelming score. At least TFA had that brilliant Rey theme, this has basically nothing (then again I haven't really liked JW's output since Harry Potter). It's just generic noise in the background, I never was a fan of how JW scored action scenes and in this one it got annoying how off he really is when doing it. Hopefully he stops after 9 (or before that one, but I'm guessing he won't). Get some fresh blood in there, I'd like to hear what Desplat would have done with a SW movie. No Giacchino/Powell please.

Question: Is the Holdo crashes her ship music complete on "Chrome Dome!" because right now I hear a slight building up of that Holdo/Desperation motif in the first half of the track but it sounds very incomplete. 

The rendition in Chrome Dome is not the same as that heard on the credits. The credits rendition is the full cue when she rams the ship and Chrome Dome features the same melody but in a scene immediately following that. It’s not for the same scene

7 hours ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Just walked out, 2nd viewing. Such an underwhelming score. At least TFA had that brilliant Rey theme, this has basically nothing (then again I haven't really liked JW's output since Harry Potter). It's just generic noise in the background, I never was a fan of how JW scored action scenes and in this one it got annoying how off he really is when doing it. Hopefully he stops after 9 (or before that one, but I'm guessing he won't). Get some fresh blood in there, I'd like to hear what Desplat would have done with a SW movie. No Giacchino/Powell please.

Not enough BWAMS for your liking I see. 

Lord Zimmer was hoping for a transcendental experience with the awe of Interstellar and the nebulous noodlings of Inception but as much as you try to box Williams into the mould of Zimmer the less it works. If Harry Potter was your last favourite score from Williams...

PSNWDR0.gif

Sometimes the quiet pieces such as 'The Cave' would eventually become skipped in a future listening experience, but the quiet pieces of TLJ are still captivating. I love what Williams does in those mysterious Ren/Rey exchanges and Rey's exploration of the island.

And there's still a lot of excellent unreleased underscore!  I finally got around to seeing the film a second time to help me understand the film better but I found myself paying more attention to the music.  I find it wonderful that the music gets a chance to shine in this film, unlike TFA.  There are even moments when there should have been background noise that would normally drown the music but there wasn't (such as Yoda scene).  That's not to say the sound effects didn't drown out the music from time to time but that's the nature of the this kind of film and a far cry from what blockbusters do to the music.  I will agree that the Force theme may have been used one too many times (and possibly Leia's theme) but that's a minor nitpick. All in all, the music is very effective in the film.

Oh, FYC, where are you?!  There's so much great, original unreleased music to be heard!

I will say that I hope Abrams drops the boy with the broom bit for the next movie.  It feels forced and tacked on. 

3 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I will agree that the Force theme may have been used one too many times (and possibly Leia's theme) but that's a minor nitpick. All in all, the music is very effective in the film.

Back on the topic of the Force theme usage. My only complaint was that it was used very literally in this film. It appears almost every time when the force is being used or mentioned. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it got old after like the 4th time. I miss the times when it was inserted in places you wouldn't expect, because usually it's arranged in a different and interesting way than the Binary Sunset and solo horn rendition that we keep hearing in TFA and TLJ. The first example off the top my head would be its usage in ROTS during the Battle over Coruscant. That militaristic rendition of it was used more as an uplifting/dramatic purpose. That rendition alone was more enjoyable to me than any of renditions heard in TLJ.

Yes! An excellent example. Its used there more as a Jedi theme, although the taiko drums patterns there smack of orc music...

The use of leitmotives need to be more nuanced than: "I see X/hear mention of x and theme for X is played", which I feel happened in this latest film with the force theme a bit.

18 hours ago, Demodex said:

So only some members here can criticize him?

Only the ones qualified enough. Meaning, the ones who have prayed long enough at the altar, so they can afford a tiny misstep.

Rey die in the Last Jedi? Seems odd. I figure[d] that for Episode IX she'd be leading the new generation of Jedi against Kylo Ren.

As for the score, I've only heard it in movie (can't afford such luxuries as the OST CD right now) but it does fearfully seem to be the greatest hits -Leia's Theme, Han Solo & The Princess, Falcon Theme (I assume that's what it was in the valley during the last battle, part of me thinks of it as the Death Star attack music from IV and VI) and Luke & Leia. Not that I didn't mind but bit of a shame. Can only hope IX saves the day.

1 hour ago, Strangways said:

it does fearfully seem to be the greatest hits -Leia's Theme, Han Solo & The Princess, Falcon Theme (I assume that's what it was in the valley during the last battle, part of me thinks of it as the Death Star attack music from IV and VI) and Luke & Leia. Not that I didn't mind but bit of a shame. Can only hope IX saves the day.

I felt the same way after listening the first few times, but have changed my mind thanks in part to following along with some of the analytical listeners here.  There is much to appreciate in this score.

Also, they think you've run off with your secretary, you might want to contact Universal Exports.

23 minutes ago, Serafino said:

I felt the same way after listening the first few times, but have changed my mind thanks in part to following along with some of the analytical listeners here.  There is much to appreciate in this score.

Also, they think you've run off with your secretary, you might want to contact Universal Exports.

Best make use of my single ticket to Jamaica whilst I have the chance. :D

2 hours ago, Strangways said:

Rey die in the Last Jedi? Seems odd. I figure[d] that for Episode IX she'd be leading the new generation of Jedi against Kylo Ren.

As for the score, I've only heard it in movie (can't afford such luxuries as the OST CD right now) but it does fearfully seem to be the greatest hits -Leia's Theme, Han Solo & The Princess, Falcon Theme (I assume that's what it was in the valley during the last battle, part of me thinks of it as the Death Star attack music from IV and VI) and Luke & Leia. Not that I didn't mind but bit of a shame. Can only hope IX saves the day.

You know Disney has uploaded the entire OST to Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyMusicVEVO/videos

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Has this been posted yet? 

Nice! And he’s replying to Alex Ross, the New Yorker’s music critic. Looks like he’s tweeted a bit about TLJ.

He reviewed TFA’s score favorably too.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/listening-to-star-wars

Alex Ross is a brilliant and important critical and intellectual voice.  He knows what is up and puts other film music "critics" to utter shame.  It is too bad he doesn't write more extensively on the subject.

Williams dug deep into manipulating the established themes? 

I have a pair of ears and I don't need Alex Ross to tell that this is a bold statement.

If this Alex Ross fella said something along the lines of "Well, hardly Williams' best work for the series", the first replies would be variations on "Alex who?"

The more I listen to TLJ the more I love how Williams really dug into those existing themes and manipulated them. What a genius!

The fact that Alex Ross highly respects the score means he must be a great bloke. Wish he posted here!

I saw the movie for a third time

Even with the FYC and OST combined, I noticed a TON of other unreleased music . There's a bunch of space battle bits we don't have from the middle of the film