THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

Condescending?

Hey, I like this movie just fine, but its just as much comedic as it is dramatic.

The only moment that really works for me on an emotional level is Luke meeting up with Leia. But that's hardly enough to classify the film as a "gut punch."

Has anyone taken a crack at creating an ultimate Last Jedi soundtrack?  So now we have three legit sources of music:

1. Score CD

2. FYC CD

3. Isolated Score

In my perfect world, we'd have the score as originally conducted by Williams, without the edits.  If edits have to be there, then i would make sure anything that was edited out of the score as heard in the film would at least be captured as an alternate or bonus track at the end.   I'm not handy enough to do something like this myself, but wondered if anyone else has taken a shot at this.  I know someone was working on a combination of the Score & FYC CD.  Does the Isolated Score add anything new to that equation?  (Sorry if i'm repeating questions - i'm a new poster but long-time lurker.)

Yes, many people all over the internet have cobbled together edits combining the OST with the FYC and Iso Score.  There is a website that worships a famous Japanese RPG series that people have posted their fan edits to

What Jay said. I finished my OST + FYC edit the day the isolated score was announced. I've since gone back and combined all 3 into a super-expansion, using the lossless sources as the core elements. Rather exhausting, to put it mildly.

It's almost impossible to recreate exactly what Williams recorded because there's microedits all over the OST but you can't just "fill in the blanks" with the isolated score/FYC because they're filled with artificial loops/time-stretching/tracked bars and edits in different places.

Several cues seem to be different on OST than in the film (We Need Your Help and Jailbreak spring to mind) but it's unclear whether they are true alternates or whether the film scenes were just cut down during post-production and we received different portions of one cue across the OST and film score.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Rather exhausting, to put it mildly.

What? Except for Escape, which alone took 2 hours over 2 days to beat into a listenable shape, it was a breezy 3 hours, tons of fun! :) 

It depends how OCD you are, sorting through all 3 sources to work out which parts are microedits and which parts are looped material. The latter can be misleading.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 5:37 AM, crumbs said:

Kylo's march into the Crait bunker was surely tracked with The Arena.

Interestingly Johnson actually mentioned in the commentary that that overhead shot of Kylo with his troops was a deliberate callback to Anakin marching on the temple in ROTS. So yeah I'm sure they temped it with that and it was a case where Williams found it appropriate to just follow suit.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

The film and score really should have ended with Peace and Purpose with the final shot being Leia and Rey sitting together on the Falcon. The music in Peace and Purpose deftly moves from one theme to the next with such grace and fluidity. Almost every theme receives a tender, gentle rendition. It's one of my favorite tracks of the sequel trilogy. It's a shame that finale is comparatively so choppy and unoriginal.

Agreed.  A few people have created fan edits where the film not only ended with Leia and Rey on the Falcon but kept Luke alive as well.  In any case, the broom boy ending felt tacked on and hasn't grown on me after a few more viewings.  I do love the lullaby sounding music Williams wrote, though.

10 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Agreed.  A few people have created fan edits where the film not only ended with Leia and Rey on the Falcon but kept Luke alive as well.  In any case, the broom boy ending felt tacked on and hasn't grown on me after a few more viewings.  I do love the lullaby sounding music Williams wrote, though.

Well, Rian Johnson decided to show of with his pacing issues once more.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone pinpoint what this musical moment (other than the obvious) might be drawn from? Is it just a fragmented/tortured deconstruction of Leia's Theme, or something else from the SW scores? It's been nagging me for a while now.

It actually sounds like part of Sean's Theme from Minority Report, albeit clearly unintentionally!

• 1 month later...

I don't see where anyone has indicated the breakdown of the scenes included in the "COMPLETE SCORE".

While it is great to hear the entire soundtrack, I try to picture in my mind the breakdown of some of the more lengthy cues.

Don't know if anyone has endeavored to do this.

I don't understand the question. What do you mean by a breakdown of long cues?

In my edit of the complete isolated score there's really only 4 lengthy tracks. Main Title and Escape (11:51), A New Alliance (11:52), The Battle of Crait (7:15) and Finale (8:28).

Well the tracklist would depend on which edit of the complete score you listen to.

I imagine many of TLJ's "complete score" edits assembled from the iso track just chopped up each cue between silences and retained microedits, ending up with several long cues that are joined in the film but have clean endings/openings available via other sources.

When I assembled my edit I used all 3 sources (OST, FYC, Iso) to create the most accurate presentation of each cue, separating them where possible for more manageable track lengths.

As crumbs appears to be the "authority" on all the itterrations of the score to "THE LAST JEDI", I am referring to the ISOLATED SCORE.

Demodex got the gist of my question. I wonder why a gif of a cat playing the piano is so "fascinating" to so many?

1 hour ago, finalscore said:

As crumbs appears to be the "authority" on all the itterrations of the score to "THE LAST JEDI", I am referring to the ISOLATED SCORE.

I don't really consider myself an authority on the score. I just spent weeks assembling my own edit of the ISO/OST/FYC. I just used the giant isolated track to fill in the gaps where the OST/FYC came up short; I don't have a timestamp breakdown of the iso for you.

Wait. @crumbs did you share what you're edit looked like here? I'd like to seen what you've done. Do you have a complete version of Escape with the Main Title because I only can find the OST track, Escape from the FYC (not including a main title), and some other extended Escape edits without a main title as well.

I never posted a track list but I shared it with a few posters who helped me with the assembly or better quality rips of the iso. 

My first track is about 12 minutes long and contains both the Main Title and Escape sequence in full, although it was a headache assembling it!

I'm still doubtful my assembly is the intended version, mainly because Williams seemingly wrote a couple of alternates for the sequence, maybe even music for the much longer original opening, of which we've only partially heard. The film seems to use a combination of cues and the OST contains alternate portions. 

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

My first track is about 12 minutes long and contains both the Main Title and Escape sequence in full, although it was a headache assembling it! 

I would imagine! :)

On another note, I love the score for Lesson Two. Han and Leia, those crushing strings as Luke looks at the burning temple. It's stellar.

That cue is indeed stunning. Even more incredible when you consider the deleted scene that followed it, with its superb cresdenco of Rey's Theme in action mode. A true score highlight we desperately need in clean form.

The cue originally continued into a sequence where "marauders" arrive at the Caretakers village and Luke misleads Rey into thinking they're going to attack their village. She races off to save them only to discover the islanders are having a massive party. Williams scored the whole sequence with a glorious presentation of Rey's Theme in heroic action mode, complete with unreleased source music for the Caretakers. 

The final film instead cuts off after Rey tells Luke she won't let him down like Ben did, inside the mountain-top temple. 

• 1 month later...

Well, got another copyright strike on my new channel... this time, it was for an unreleased piece of music (when Snoke and Rey meet for the first time). I'm assuming they're now targeting any material from the isolated score. Unfortunately I decided to take down my entire TLJ playlist, and delete every video that was in it. I've kept up Solo (and TFA and Rogue One) in the hopes that those won't get targeted, but I have no idea. I'm going to keep a close watch on my channel the next couple days, but I have a feeling they're just going to go balls out to have my second channel taken down. If that ends up being the case, then I'm just going to give up and find an alternative platform, as YouTube is now a giant shitfest.

EDIT: Just as a precaution I also decided to remove all of the FYC cues from TFA and Rogue One. Now it's just sfx-filled music from here on out.😐

• 8 months later...

I don't know about that. Kiner just feeds off of Williams general Star Wars sound a fair bit, and I think this is just, if anything, a similar idea or style. It's not screaming similar, but it has an essence to it, especially in the last two notes of that, bada daa-daa. 

I'm not very familiar with Kiner to begin with. I mean, I've seen Clone Wars and Rebels, but aside from a lot of the main stuff I wasn't paying a good deal of attention to the music. Besides, Kiner has a lot of writers working with him on those shows, so some of it may not neccesarily be him. 

On Williams part, the section you highlight there is very cool and not sounding too much like anything else we've heard from him, at least as far as I can think of. So really, I'm not hearing anything glaringly similar, but there's a sound.

• 4 months later...

Hey @Falstaft, I noticed this wasn't included in your reference guide for SW motifs so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on whether there's a relationship between these two Canto Bight ideas. I've always considered them to be related, musically.

Yes, the second version is slightly extended but it sounds like the same motif to my ears? I can't transcribe music so I can't validate my theory any further. Both cues occur on CB though (upon arrival then again in a wide shot as Finn/Rose escape). I think the second version is microedited in the final cut.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be various versions of this soundtrack "out there" but they all vary in tracks, titles and lengths. Does anyone know which is most film then composed/recorded version, the complete, the expanded or the extended?

It's confusing!

2 hours ago, FC4L said:

There seems to be various versions of this soundtrack "out there" but they all vary in tracks, titles and lengths. Does anyone know which is most film then composed/recorded version, the complete, the expanded or the extended?

It's confusing!

There are only 3 official sources of the music: the soundtrack album, the FYC, and the isolated score. Everything else are fan edits using a combination of those three sources.

• 1 year later...

I'm not asking for a download link but rather more interested in what the fan community has done with this score:

Is there a fan edit put there that presents the score in a better light than we got on the OST? I'm not looking for the complete score as I find it a bit difficult to listen to. At the same time, the OST leans heavily into the nostalgic, self-referential material and leaves off a lot of interesting material like many variations of the resistance material and cool underscore build up to Holdo's big moment, not to mention leaving off Holdo's big moment entirely. Is there a fan edit that works back in more of the highlights of the new music and interesting underscore? 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

This is not exactly what you're asking as it contains everything but I recently made a complete edit using OST, FYC and the Isolated Score that I uploaded on YouTube:

When possible, the loops, edits, trackings from the film and the microedits from the OST have been removed. This improves a lot the listening experience in my opinion, you should give it a listen ;) 

Thank you! I will definitely give this a listen.

Edit: I'm listening to it right now and I'm really enjoying it. You're right, it is a very smooth listening experience and presents the score in a really good light. 

Would such an edit be possible for TFA and TROS or are those scores way to hacked up, tracked, and micro-edited to ever create a smooth listening experience beyond the OSTs?

TFA is probably possible but I don't think TROS has had enough leak to really make a great edit. Too much would be missing and from what I remember sitting through the movie, most of the really good stuff was hidden behind the super loud sound effects.