SPOILER TALK - The Last Jedi (open spoilers allowed!!!)

Jay

I find that needless exposition in the middle of an action scene, even if its brief, saps some tension from it. Its like the technician in Batman Begins re-reminding us of what will happen should the antagonist's plan succeed.

It's not needless exposition. That planet with the red dirt being sprayed up (Crait) was one of the highlights from the trailers, one of the things that stood out most to viewers; without that brief second of dialogue, audiences are just left hanging as to the purpose of the minerals found there. Why shouldn't they be given answers in the film? And to say that that line of dialogue detracts from the tension of the third act is just nitpicking to an extreme.

How? Heck, I have many friends who saw the film and missed that line, and still think that that white substance is snow. It's not "readily apparent" at all.

It doesn't matter what the substance is. What matters is that you understand that its this white coating covering red terrain, which is made clear just before that line as one of the ressistance fighters marches up on it, and it leaves red footprints.

In in the carbonite chamber in Empire Strikes Back, you don't hear C3PO explaining the nature of the very hightened lighting in the scene, even though the ambient blue light begs the question just as much as the salt on Crait does.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It doesn't matter what the substance is.

To you, perhaps. Among the wider fan community, there was much speculation as to the purpose and reason behind the surface of the planet.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

In in the carbonite chamber in Empire Strikes Back, you don't hear C3PO explaining the nature of the very hightened lighting in the scene, even though the ambient blue light begs the question just as much as the salt on Crait does.

As usual, you're comparing apple and oranges. Star Wars has always featured unusual and highly exaggerated lighting. Crait and the questions first imposed on its minerals are in a whole other ball park.

7 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

To you, perhaps. Among the wider fan community, there was much speculation as to the purpose and reason behind the surface of the planet.

The reason is to make the sequence more visually interesting, which it does.

c'est tout.

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

How is that even an issue? It's literally a second's worth of dialogue.

It seems very arbitrary and pointless is all. Could have been worse though, someone could have said "I hate salt. It's scratchy and irritating and it gets everywhere."

To be fair, not all of the dialogue in The Last Jedi flows well. The dialogue for the bad guys (Snoke, Hux, Phasma, the captain of that Dreadnaught) and that last line that Rose gives - are borderline cringe inducing.

OMG, this scene, ridiculous.  And I almost forgot the scene where Finn talk to Poe at the beginning of the movie, I was uncomfortable on my seat. The tone was given, it would be 2 hours of supplice.

Really, the line that falls flatest for me is:

That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love.

Not to mention she opens with caling him "dummy."

*shudders*

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

Finn waddling around in his bacta-suit.

*face-palm*

What does Poe says to him in english? "You're leaking" or something like that?

I did enjoy that this movie had a bit of swearing. Both Star Wars and Empire had one (English) cuss word each, but the language was perfectly clean for the sequels and prequels. 

But this movie had two or three "bad words." 

1 minute ago, Woj said:

I did enjoy that this movie had a bit of swearing. 

Yes, I loved how Luke's first words in 34 years were "Fuck off, cunt!".

20 minutes ago, Woj said:

I did enjoy that this movie had a bit of swearing. Both Star Wars and Empire had one (English) cuss word each, but the language was perfectly clean for the sequels and prequels. 

But this movie had two or three "bad words." 

I know. I couldn't believe the filthy phrase that R2 uttered to Luke! I was like, whoa, cover your ears, kids!

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

We need a Tarantino SW movie.

I want a Mel Gibson entry!

"some lightsabers are longer than others", "insane wookies", etc...:lol:

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Crait looks fine. There were a couple of quick shots of Finn and Rose outside that didn't look all that convincing, but those were fleeting moments. Doesn't really count.

What I disliked about it was that they had to have one of the ressistance fighters comment on the terrain: "oh, its salt."

And take away Gareth Edwards cameo?

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I find that needless exposition in the middle of an action scene, even if its brief, saps some tension from it. Its like the technician in Batman Begins re-reminding us of what will happen should the antagonist's plan succeed.

It didn't bother me. When you complain about such a tiny line, I refer to the hood-scene in Django Unchained. That was really out of place and the humour seemed to be from an Adam Sandler and not from a Quentin Tarantino movie!

Am I the only one who felt let down by Crait? Thought it might play a more significant role, other than being a old abandoned rebel base.

1 hour ago, Woj said:

What dub did you download? 

Woj, not all words are spoken...

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I want a Mel Gibson entry!

"some lightsabers are longer than others", "insane wookies", etc...:lol:

The trouble with Quonos is, it's full of Klingons.

The salt line was very important because it tells the audience that it isn't snow. Johnson knows the audience will be reminded of the Battle of Hoth, with more Imperial Walkers and Rebels dug in defending a base in very white conditions, but nobody on Hoth needed to taste the snow to tell us it was cold. We had been watching the cold and its effects, reactions, and descriptions for over a half hour before the Imperials attacked. So the line is there to say, yeah, "this isn't snow. And it's not sand, because you saw that on Tatooine, Geonosis, and whatever planet Rogue One ended up on." 

Because all the Rebels' materiel inside a bunker on a planet covered in salt should have been rusted beyond use. That any of the speeders worked is a movie miracle. 

Maybe Gareth Edwards should have encrusted a goblet with salt from the Crait surface and poured himself a margarita? 

9 minutes ago, Woj said:

The salt line was very important because it tells the audience that it isn't snow. Johnson knows the audience will be reminded of the Battle of Hoth, with more Imperial Walkers and Rebels dug in defending a base in very white conditions, but nobody on Hoth needed to taste the snow to tell us it was cold.

Wouldn't it then be preferable just to use a different setting?

Of course he would, he's Gibson.

But you could kiss that PG-13 rating goodbye.

Something like Snoke's death is far too tame for the likes of Gibson.

Did anyone else think there was a possibility Luke was already dead and that’s why he couldn’t / wouldn’t leave the island? 

2 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I loved the last jedi, but everyone who comments on it seems to hate it. I feel so alone! 

Seems the opposite to me. It was dumb as hell -- sorry, I meant it was "alright as hell" -- but everyone I talk to seemed to love it.

I still haven't taken in a second viewing to see where I fall on some of the things I was more hesitant about during my first viewing, but my overall feeling, as everyone knows, is that the movie was Good as Hell.  The vast majority of it worked for me, and the things I was wishy-washy about were nits I was picking about the impact on the larger Star Wars canon, and not flaws in the film itself.

Nobody in my peer group would give enough of a shit to develop either strong feelings of 'love' or 'hate' for such a movie. But to each his/her own.

8 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Well part of it goes to the big twist that was supposed to stun everyone and I guess Luke force projecting was it.

At this point, the movie ran already 15 minutes too long. 

51 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Did anyone else think there was a possibility Luke was already dead and that’s why he couldn’t / wouldn’t leave the island? 

I didn't until you brought it up in a different thread. 

It would have been a neat trick. 

But within the rules implied by these past two movies, it would have been tricky. Kylo Ren saw Luke before his hair turned gray, which is how he saw him on the battlefield. As a younger man. 

Rey had never met Luke before, so she saw him as an older man. 

Except... Okay, Poe and Finn had never seen him before, but they very clearly saw his projection in the hangar and on the battlefield. I don't remember how Luke appeared in the Crait hangar. 

It is probably possible that Luke's entire appearance on Ach-To was a projection from somewhere else on the planet, and that he's still alive or has been dead for years. 

I was pleased that at least the gold dice he gave to Leia faded when Kylo held them. 

About the idea of Luke being dead all along...

That would have pissed people off even more. "I've waited two years for this cliffhanger to be resolved for nothing! He was dead all along! Fuck Star Wars! Fuck Disney!

To be honest, Mark, it doesn't matter. Luke is basically dead anyway. If not literally then certainly metaphorically. Rey realises there is not much to learn from him. And, at the end, him deciding to use the rest of his energy to spark some hope makes more sense rather than having that twist for the hell of it. It would have been just as meaningless as him being "badass" and having an epic fight fans so craved for.

He gives Rey what she asked for in the first place...only not in a way she expected it. 

Karol

He couldn't have been a projection the whole time, he physically interacted with Rey and his robes fell down when he passed. (Unless he also projected his robes being swept away for the audience?)

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

He couldn't have been a projection the whole time, he physically interacted with Rey and his robes fell down when he passed. (Unless he also projected his robes being swept away for the audience?)

But remember, Yoda was also a projection that summoned very real lightning to ignite a tree. 

Though I cannot imagine that a dead projection of Yoda would actually argue with a dead projection of Luke. 

And if Luke was dead, why kill the fish and milk that... thing... What is it with Star Wars and more than one set of nipples on creatures? First that dancer in Jabba's palace, now this.