THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

Hello!

If you've heard the Last Jedi OST album and would like to discuss the music on it, this the place!

The original thread can still be used to talk about receiving your physical copy, differences between various editions, where to buy or stream it online, etc, but here, it's all about the music.

Starting the thread now because I found this on youtube, and I haven't checked yet to see if its real or fake.

3 hours ago, AzOutcast said:

It's good! ;)

About halfway through right now, and am really enjoying the mix of themes, old and new. For what it's worth, it's making a stronger first impression on me than The Force Awakens.

You're my new best friend. Do you like money? Lots of it?

5 hours ago, AzOutcast said:

It's good! ;)

About halfway through right now, and am really enjoying the mix of themes, old and new. For what it's worth, it's making a stronger first impression on me than The Force Awakens.

You have the CD ?

It just beggars belief for me that people are still craving that Hans Zimmer sound. How many times can you listen to that before you get tired of it? And how many times can you listen to JW before you get tired of him?

There are 7 films before TLJ with main titles and 5 of them have different recordings. 

TFA is the poorest of the 5. TPM is the best of them sound quality wise. IMO of course and I don’t care what Disco Stu says. He’s wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

TPM is the best of them sound quality wise. IMO of course and I don’t care what Disco Stu says. He’s wrong. 

Well, they amped-up the orchestral forces in the prequels. The string section is fuller than the "original" trilogy or this one.

If you heard a Main Title track without knowing the film it was from, could you identifity the film?  If so you have super hearing because to me they are all the same.

I can hear the difference between Prequels (all sound the same), A New Hope, Empire, Jedi, Force Awakens. It's very interesting how different they sound. The Prequels are probably my least favourite recordings. 

In recreating a piece of music faithfully, there's an advantage to a piece such as the Star Wars main title, in that all of the players probably have an engrained sense of how it is supposed to sound like. But there are nevertheless variations in the sound. They're not that minute.

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Question for anyone and everyone who has listened to the CD, are there any concert arrangement tracks on the album?

No concert arrangements proper, but The Rebellion is Reborn contains some wonderful arrangements of (what I assume is) Rose's theme.

2 hours ago, Obi said:

You have the CD ?

Yes! Long story short, Jay posted a picture of someone's Snapchat who went to Epcot and they had the CD sitting on shelves. I live in Orlando, drove over there (and arrived 10 minutes before close) to find the CD sitting on the shelf of the first giftshop across from Spaceship Earth. Bought it, promptly jizzed in my pants, brought it home and gave it a listen!

3 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

The PC police have officially arrived... 🙄 Grow a spine. It’s a pretty common phrase; this isn’t a college safe space, it’s the real world and not everyone is going to pander to the <1% and their demands. If this was a personal attack he was making I’d understand but I mean... Come on, man. (Hope I didn’t just misgender you; I’m sure that would be an offense too, if so.)

Don't you have voters to suppress or something?

I can definitely hear a difference in the OT, prequel and Force Awakens Main Titles. I'm not sure how well I'd do in a "blind test", though. For what it's worth, Last Jedi's sounds pretty identical to Force Awakens'. Even side-by-side.

And please, if you read this and HAVEN'T already done so, don't ask for a rip.

8 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Don't you have voters to suppress or something?

Huh? I’m not talking about politics at all... Not everyone who is against stupid political correctness is a Republican or agrees with their policies. (Assuming that’s your implication.) Thanks for stereotyping, though!

8 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

The movie is great.  Can't wait to see what sort of ridiculous complaints people have about it.

The complaints this far are very specific and don't seem ridiculous at all: the main one, and it seems quite unanimous, relates to the Finn-Rose storyline, the aesthetic of the setting and the sequence's implication as to the film's overall pace. Some people also seem to feel that some of the humor, while funny, is out-of-place, and that some characters (Phasma, etc) still don't feel fleshed out.

I'll hold my judgement untill a see it, but its good to have context.

8 minutes ago, king mark said:

But the end credits must have the concert arrangements?

I actually would like  more score instead of the concert arrangememts using up space on the  c.d. elsewhere

Rose's theme is the first to crop up in the end credits suite after the usual business, but it's not long before we hit a rendition of Leia's theme on piano, and a smattering of other themes heard over the course of the OST.

2 hours ago, SourSymphony said:

Hey, Manakin, do you think you could maybe avoid using the phrase "fucking retarded?" This is the second time in two days that I've seen someone here on JWFan use the term "retard" in a derogatory way, and I find it sort of offensive. I'm sure others must, too. @Jay, surely there is a rule against this sort of thing here as there is on so many of the other forums in which I participate? I love John Williams music, and I love Star Wars. I come here to share in those passions with fellow fans, not to hear slurs and hurtful epithets. No matter race, sex, gender identity, religion, political affiliation, or even disability, I think everyone should be made to feel welcome here. Just my two cents.

Oh for heaven's sake, can't you find something else to occupy yourself with? If I had to be offended by all the good-natured jokes about my disability made on this board... I hope this post doesn't offend you...

5 minutes ago, AzOutcast said:

Rose's theme is the first to crop up in the end credits suite after the usual business, but it's not long before we hit a rendition of Leia's theme on piano, and a smattering of other themes heard over the course of the OST.

So its not a suite per se, just part of Williams' trademark medley of themes from the movie?

I have to say, if there indeed are no dedicated concert suites, that's unfortunate. Its one of my favorite aspects as to how Williams constructs these albums. There's something nice to having this straight-forward, long-lined presentation of the theme and nothing but the theme, that helps the listener pick it up better in the underscore proper. It also serves (in terms of its position in the album) as a nice entr'acte of sorts.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

So its not a suite per se, just part of Williams' trademark medley of themes from the movie?

I have to say, if there indeed are no dedicated concert suites, that's unfortunate. Its one of my favorite aspects as to how Williams constructs these albums. There's something nice to having this straight-forward, long-lined presentation of the theme and nothing but the theme, that helps the listener pick it up better in the underscore proper. It also serves (in terms of its position in the album) as a nice entr'acte of sorts.

Correct, as far as the medley-ness goes.

I also agree in terms of concert arrangements. I've always really enjoyed them, but again, The Rebellion is Reborn sounds close enough to a concert rendition of Rose's theme to me.

11 minutes ago, AzOutcast said:

Does the piano rendition fit with the rest of the end credits?  My fear is that such an inclusion confuses the actress for the character.  

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Does the piano rendition fit with the rest of the end credits?  My fear is that such an inclusion confuses the actress for the character.  

On a first listen, the end credits sounded a little all over the place. I think it'll probably come together with repeat listens though. As far as Leia's theme in the EC goes, it's only played for about 15 seconds, so it fits in as much as anything else. There are a few spots on the OST that deal with Leia-centric themes, though.

41 minutes ago, Demodex said:

If you heard a Main Title track without knowing the film it was from, could you identifity the film?  If so you have super hearing because to me they are all the same.

Yeah I can easily tell all 5 previous recordings apart (4,5,6,1,7)

31 minutes ago, AzOutcast said:

For what it's worth, Last Jedi's sounds pretty identical to Force Awakens'. Even side-by-side.

Well, it is the same orchestral set-up.

37 minutes ago, AzOutcast said:

For what it's worth, Last Jedi's sounds pretty identical to Force Awakens'. Even side-by-side.

Same for me.

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

For anyone who has seen the film or listened to the album; without giving any spoilers at all (musically or story-wise), how does this one stack up to TFA? Is it better, worse, or about the same?

I would say about the same. The highlights are probably better than those of TFA, but as a whole, the score lacks a strong personality, in part because of the lack of solid new thematic material. TFA was all structured around Rey's theme, which represented the heart of the score and gave it its own unique sound compared to the other SW scores, but here, it feels like the score is going a bit in different directions with not as clear a thematic structure (think maybe ROTS in that regard). And the lack of strong musical identity for the First Order is still a big problem.