THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

7 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Say what now?

IKR! I hum it all the time. "Bam bee-da bom bam bom bam bom bam..."

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The only cue I've listened to so far is "Chrome Dome" - and I think it's excellent!

That's actually been considered as one of the least interesting cues (not saying I agree or disagree...)

1 minute ago, Loert said:

That's actually been considered as one of the least interesting cues (not saying I agree or disagree...)

That's why I have listened exclusively to that track. Just to put my toe in the water. I don't want to spoil the greater cues for me, so I am waiting to listen to The Battle of Crait in cinema.

8 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That's why I have listened exclusively to that track. Just to put my toe in the water. I don't want to spoil the greater cues for me, so I am waiting to listen to The Battle of Crait in cinema.

Very wise decision! 

12 minutes ago, RadJ said:

Why would people think that he doesn't though? People are just looking for any sign of him not liking the music?

His actions seem to say that he isn't the biggest fan of it, but I could very much be wrong. He seems a bit muted to me. No note in the score album either, perhaps a sign? Although obviously, he won't say so. He also just liked a comment on Twitter where someone said the best soundtrack moment of the year was the strech of silence in The Last Jedi. Now, that's some shade! :P

11 minutes ago, Lewya said:

His actions seem to say that he isn't the biggest fan of it, but I could very much be wrong. He seems a bit muted to me. No note in the score album either, perhaps a sign? Although obviously, he won't say so. He also just liked a comment on Twitter where someone said the best soundtrack moment of the year was the strech of silence in The Last Jedi. Now, that's some shade! :P

I seem to think that Rian is actually quite a shy guy anyway so maybe he’s just chill about the whole thing. JJ is very different though 

2 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Some say Rian tried to poison the maestro's coffee.  The hate is strong between the two. 

Thats because Williams kept calling him JJBaby.

10 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

Some say Rian tried to poison the maestro's coffee.  The hate is strong between the two. 

Williams was preferred by K. Kennedy not by Johnson. I think. Hate and incomprehension  is possible.  J.J. Baby will come back and everything will be better!

4 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

Williams was preferred by K. Kennedy not by Johnson. I think. Hate and incomprehension  is possible.  J.J. Baby will come back and everything will be better!

I believe every SW director would like to work with JW.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I still think that was unintentional.

Totally unintentional. A case of sticking too close to the temp track, says I.

More and more I get a grasp on just how much of this was temp-tracked with prequel material. Rian Johnson sure loves his Revenge of the Sith music, it seems.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Totally unintentional. A case of sticking too close to the temp track, says I.

More and more I get a grasp on just how much of this was temp-tracked with prequel material. Rian Johnson sure loves his Revenge of the Sith music, it seems.

The Indiana Jones temp track, you mean?

1 hour ago, Donna Lackluster said:

To John Williams' surprise, the temp was all Williams. "Rian Johnson had prepared a temp track with all my music from Indiana Jones."

2 minutes ago, Donna Lackluster said:

Yes! No reason to play Princess Leia's theme when Ben Kenobi dies...

You could find a lot of explanations for that (people have come with lots of possible explanations for its use, some rather sensible), plus it was a theme appearing in the same score it was written for. Plus the character is actually in the scene.

Here, we're talking about a theme from an episode taking place much earlier in the timeline, apparently used in a scene where the two characters it was written for are nowhere to be seen, and you can't possibly come up with a good explanation for that theme appearing here...

Not quite the same thing.

As is the case with all Star Wars scores, the music is beginning to make more sense to me. The structure and pace are coming into view and some of the music sounds less rushed than it did the first few times. However there is still a general relentless pace to many of the tracks.

16 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What's the rhythm in the last minute or so of The Spark.

The Imperial March.

1 hour ago, Donna Lackluster said:

Yes! No reason to play Princess Leia's theme when Ben Kenobi dies... Makes no sense.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but: I've thought about this a lot, and I tend to believe that the use of Leia's theme at that moment does actually make good sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if JW consciously and deliberately made the choice.

From Luke's perspective, his guide on this adventure and the person who he has the closest emotional relationship has just perished - and immediately following this realization, Luke's heart may abruptly shift its emotional neediness onto Leia. As if there's a immediate subconscious refocusing of his hopes and needs onto this other person. Happens in real-world human emotional trauma, as a safety mechanism: following a loss, pin your needs on the next-closest/dearest friend/family member.

Was JW thinking that deeply into the moment? Maybe. I don't know. But he's clever and thoughtful enough, especially at the peak of his career.

Over analyzing at its best. It was just the most suitable theme to the emotion of the  scene. And it's not even the most blatant instance in Star Wars. It happens with Yoda's theme in Cloud City, it happens several times with The Force theme, it happens with the Rebel Fanfare for the odd generically triumphant moments, etc...

Every composer does this to some extent with his leitmotifs. Williams just does it a little bit more often than most.

20 minutes ago, fatehbaz said:

I know this is a bit off-topic, but: I've thought about this a lot, and I tend to believe that the use of Leia's theme at that moment does actually make good sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if JW consciously and deliberately made the choice.

From Luke's perspective, his guide on this adventure and the person who he has the closest emotional relationship has just perished - and immediately following this realization, Luke's heart may abruptly shift its emotional neediness onto Leia. As if there's a immediate subconscious refocusing of his hopes and needs onto this other person. Happens in real-world human emotional trauma, as a safety mechanism: following a loss, pin your needs on the next-closest/dearest friend/family member.

Was JW thinking that deeply into the moment? Maybe. I don't know. But he's clever and thoughtful enough, especially at the peak of his career.

There's really no problem here, as LEIA's theme is played after Obi-Wan dies, when LEIA, the objective of the rescue mission, is fleeing with the others.

33 minutes ago, fatehbaz said:

Williams himself admitted the Princess theme was simply working better than anything else he threw at the scene. It doesn't always have to make sense. 

Just heard the Soundtrack for the first time! It's brilliant!! There are so many little musical ideas and variations in it.
Listening to this score is kind of waiting for the next surprise all the time.  

I also noticed how strong the themes from TFA are. When I first heard them in 2015, it took a while to grow on me. 
But now it's so exciting to hear this wonderful variations of them. It feels like they have always been there.

55 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Over analyzing at its best. It was just the most suitable theme to the emotion of the  scene. And it's not even the most blatant instance in Star Wars. It happens with Yoda's theme in Cloud City, it happens several times with The Force theme, it happens with the Rebel Fanfare for the odd generically triumphant moments, etc...

Every composer does this to some extent with his leitmotifs. Williams just does it a little bit more often than most.

But it goes against the idea that many here have, that Williams' new SW scores are, what was it, "music in the sense of Wagnerian Leitmotiv". 

If that was truly the case, a composer with the chops of John Williams could come up with a piece of music for these things, instead of just using a theme that doesn't make sense.

I don't want to start another parade of flaming posts saying "you no know nothing, ass", but the level of sophistication - certainly not in the technical sense, where JW is immaculate, but in approach - of JW scores is more often than not overblown, and especially his output past 2000.

You take away the moments that are directly lifted from the previous trilogies, and TLJ would feel lackluster. 

And I agree, the force of the temp is strong in this one. People often get on me for liking those Hobbit scores so much, but with as much tracking and editing and nostalgic pandering as there is going on in those films, most notably the first one, at least the Original Soundtrack CDs were wisely left untouched by whatever rerecordings that were used in the theatrical release.

In this particular case we have to wait for the FYC to get a purer version of the score as heard in the film. Ever since Tin-Tin and War Horse, they now tend to be a vastly improved representation of John Williams' music than the official albums.

One shouldn't have to wait for unofficial Promo CDs to get a sense for the overall thing, when 70 minutes are commercially available. It's not like the FYC will suddenly provide concert suites and new themes.

22 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

But it goes against the idea that many here have, that Williams' new SW scores are, what was it, "music in the sense of Wagnerian Leitmotiv". 

If that was truly the case, a composer with the chops of John Williams could come up with a piece of music for these things, instead of just using a theme that doesn't make sense.

He had written a bunch of things, but remember, it's not up to Williams. The director has the final decision as to what music goes where.