THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Listen carefully to the strained and slowed down strings here:

It's a variation on this, closing with the same cadence as the opening bars of Rey's Theme (though in another key or something?):

Once you pick that up it unlocks the rest. It's not note-for-note but it's clearly derived from Rey's Theme.

Pretty confident the choir preceding it is the opening bar of Rey's Theme with an extra note towards the end (before the strings take over).

Ok now I do hear the connection you are drawing. Great catch!

So many The Last Jedi threads, its hard to keep track...

Anyhow, Rian Johnson posted a video to his Twitter of JW conducting the main theme.

Rian’s twitter post

Strange! Since it seems to be TFA version on the album. Right?

Yes, I knew it wasn’t new information, but still thought it might be worth posting since it was a relatively new tweet from Rian. But there’s always a chance it’s in another thread already!

But why does this keep coming up? Could it be that Rian doesn’t know that “his” version wasn’t used?

Yea, its the TFA recording on the album and in the film

I didn't know it was already confirmed that in the film it was the TFA version as well. What a pity.

On 25/01/2018 at 6:59 AM, rough cut said:

So many The Last Jedi threads, its hard to keep track...

Anyhow, Rian Johnson posted a video to his Twitter of JW conducting the main theme.

Rian’s twitter post

Strange! Since it seems to be TFA version on the album. Right?

woah, what the hell?!

that variation kicks so much ass!

why the hell was it not used, that opening trumpet blast is glorious and every section of orchestra sounds so powerful.

far superior to the TFA version used and more than worthy of the variations that came before. 

I think enough time has passed now and my opinion of the film has settled that I can revisit the OST and just appreciate it in a new way as music independent of the film it was written for much like I do for the 3 prequel scores. TPM is a terrible movie but one of my all time favorite JW scores. Who knows how I'll feel about TLJ after a few repeat listens.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Maybe we can make a bot that will auto-comment "The Last Jedi score is bad" when someone bumps one of these threads so the same usual suspects who feel the need to chime in about how bad the score is every single time these threads get bumped can save themselves a lot of time.

Maybe we can make a bot that will auto-comment "you are stupid and have no taste", so the usual suspects who feel the need to chime in with snide and derogatory comments to people who don't worship TLJ can save themselves a lot of time.

The people defending TLJ and attacking others who don't like it just can't accept the possibility that Williams may have truly delivered a poor SW score, or they're in denial. TFA was far from perfect, but it was a pretty solid dose of that good old Williams drug soup. TLJ isn't Justice League disappointing, but it's a damn mediocre score.

5 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

What I find fucking infuriating is the people who feel the need to come into every thread [...and say] that there is no explanation[...other than that] they are in denial.

But that's a valid opinion, as well!

If the poll is to be believed, most people around here do think of this score as a "lesser of" among Williams Star Wars repertoire. But one comes into this thread and suddenly its the best thing since sliced bread. So I do think, take no offense, that the novelty of this score (i.e. that it just came out) has people seeing it through somewhat rose-tinted glasses or, to put it more diplomatically, that some of the appreciation (and certainly some of the dissention, as well) towards it comes from a certain lack of perspective. An unpleasant notion to hear, perhaps, but not one that is entirely without grounds.

And I quite like the score. Its more extrovert than The Force Awakens, which is is always good, and probably makes it a superior score, to my mind. Its treated beautifully in the film, and I really like a lot of the new thematic material. To me, there just wasn't enough of it, which is unfortunate because I wanted to love it. I did!

And again, we can't ever completly separate our impression of the film to our impression of the music because leitmotivic music evokes, through association, the imagery of the film. If you like that imagery popping up in your mind - you'll be more prone to like the music. Since a lot of people don't like the film (and that's not without reason, either), they would be less inclined to love the score. Its only natural.

TFA was loaded with highlights. There's nothing in TLJ I even care to revisit. I don't want to feel this way, guys. 2017 was just another bad year for film music despite two new JW scores and an Elfman DC comics score. Thank God for the expanded reissues of classic scores.

3 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

TFA was loaded with highlights. There's nothing in TLJ I even care to revisit.

To be fair I do like The Last Jedi more for one simple reason: Its a more extrovert, "big" sounding score which, in a Star Wars score, is what its all about.

Its also much better mixed in the movie, which is very important, as well.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The problem is not their opinion, it's their behaviour. Some people are constantly bashing the score and the people who like it. It gets repetitive. We know that you don't like it, guys!

Wrong, it's the people who love the score and who subjectively perceive criticism against it as an act of aggression - against the score and weirdly enough themselves - that act all offended and whiny with a "oh yeah, you too" attitude.

There's an unwritten rule among the longtime JW nerds on here, that criticism resulting in you not liking a JW score isn't allowed, and therefore it's dismissed as "bashing" or "trolling", when in fact, there are way too much easily triggered JW fans on the offense here.

People bashed TFA and it never bothered me.

TLJ is like a bonus disc of filler music from TFA that wasn't good enough for the album.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

JWFan...promised us peace!

When my new expanded Titanic set arrives, it will...take care of you.

6 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

TLJ is like a bonus disc of filler music from TFA that wasn't good enough for the album.

When my new expanded Titanic set arrives, it will...take care of you.

No, TLJ is what TFA should have been. ;) 

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The problem is not their opinion, it's their behaviour. Some people are constantly bashing the score and the people who like it. It gets repetitive. We know that you don't like it, guys!

what about the people that bash others for not liking the score?

It goes both ways you know ..

the problem is when anyone bashes anyone for their opinion, whatever that may be!

6 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

People have bashed E.T. and it never bothered me too although I think it's the best score ever written.

When someone takes an opinion about a score personally (like he wrote it) , then I say there is a problem...

I've experienced extensive attacks over the years for my views - mainly because some people get pissy at me because I refuse to fill my posts with the phrase "in my opinion" or "IMHO" like a bunch of sycophantic disclaimer stickers. I've always hated it when people precede their point with that phrase more than once because it almost looks like they're pre-emptively apologising for their view to avoid backlash. And readers who demand its presence have a profound deficiency in reading comprehension as they lack the ability to recognise its redundancy, especially when overused.