THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

Oh, I'm sure it is. I was disappointed at finding Escape FYC doesn't start right after the Main Title cue and that Main Title and Escape doesn't have the complete escape bit. If it was simpler I might've been able to do a meager edit myself, but anything more complex is beyond my technological reaches.

I can’t imagine there is a “complete” edit of Escape that isn’t substantially compromised by edits. I’ve combined the FYC, iso, and OST, and the most organic edit I could make is 9 and a half minutes. The additional material is splotched all over the place like a Jackson Pollock painting. It doesn’t work as it is. 

It's downright impossible. Probably the most difficult edit I've worked on. The best you can do is approximate JW's intentions and just include the parts you like best. 

Clearly there's a mix of alternates and inserts between the OST and final film, and we only have fragments of everything due to Williams' overzealous microediting of the OST and the film version being hacked to pieces.

8 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I cannot for the life of me find the opening track I want- one with the Main Title and complete Escape film version.

The film mix is in the isolated score.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, Disco Stu said:

So you don’t prefer the album edit of “The Las Jedi.”  Anyone agree with me?

It's the only thing I've listened to!*

*(I've "watched" the iso score, but don't download rips or FYC stuff - if and when they expand it, I'll buy that)

Just a heads up for anyone who's familiar with my YouTube channel; I had to remove my entire TLJ playlist as well as several videos from Rogue One and Solo as a precaution due to getting 2 copyright strikes within the last few days. I've never gotten even one copyright strike before, but Disney seems to be going balls-out this week on video takedowns, so for anyone else uploading TLJ fan edits, be careful.

10 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Just a heads up for anyone who's familiar with my YouTube channel; I had to remove my entire TLJ playlist as well as several videos from Rogue One and Solo as a precaution due to getting 2 copyright strikes within the last few days. I've never gotten even one copyright strike before, but Disney seems to be going balls-out this week on video takedowns, so for anyone else uploading TLJ fan edits, be careful.

I love your YouTube Channel. That sucks. 

I will be making the playlist public again on January 13th, when the strikes expire. Although it will only contain all of the non-copyrighted material.

Update: My account was "suspended" randomly just now. Not terminated yet, just "suspended pending investigation". Well, fuck. At least I made a backup channel years ago. It seems I'll have to use that at least for now. Disney is really going at it this week. First the takedown of that KOTOR remake a few days ago and now this.

EDIT: It appears this was done on purpose. I said before I removed all TLJ videos from my channel as a precaution, as those were the only videos affected. Well, they decided to go after a random "Star Wars: Rebels" video I had uploaded. They were literally looking for a way to remove my channel. Assholes. Backup channel, here I come!

EDIT 2: Okay now it's been officially terminated. #NeverForget #IWillRebuild

Thank you, and my pleasure. I expected at some point Lucasfilm/Disney/whoever owned the company would go after my channel. I just didn't expect it would be on some random day in the fall while I was in the middle of trying to watch a YouTube video. :P

The biggest hassle of course is reuploading everything from scratch. I'm starting with the original 6 films, in order from TPM to ROTJ. To put it how long it's taking me, my computer literally just finished rendering "Gas Leak" from TPM. That's how far I am. This is gonna take a while...

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, crumbs said:

That's fun! A shame we don't have the TLJ recording to use instead, but that's surprisingly good. 

ha, just gave me thinking of mixing it with the original Main Title from 1977! 😄

EDIT: meh, doesn't sound that good.

• 7 months later...

I can't explain it in musical terms except to say it just sounds wrong to my ears, like the orchestra screwed up their timings and got the notes wrong for the crescendo, and the conductor is making quick adjustments to correct their timing before it climaxes.

Maybe it'd be different if this was the only version of the piece I'd ever heard, but once you're used to the OST version it's hard to get accustomed to the revised version. Plus, it just seems like such a needless, weird change?

Can't explain it much more than that.

Can someone post me the analysis of the End Credits suite please? Precisely the new themes used and their origin on the previous tracks of the score. Thanks.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:45 AM, crumbs said:

Ugh, that terrible revised ending again. What was Williams thinking?

On 8/15/2019 at 5:55 AM, Disco Stu said:

I might prefer the OST version but terrible is a strong word for the signature edition.  Why do you think it's really that bad?

Doesn't strike me in any signficant way, honestly. Granted, a Pedroni performance isn't always the best metric of how successful a concert version is.

Did we ever figure out why the End Credits turned out the way they did? We were so spoilt with Force Awakens. 

Ok so the action music I’m not very familiar with in the End Credits, is from The Battle of Crait.

So, we can say this end credits features 4 new themes from TLJ, right?

The two sections of Battle of Crait music weren’t tracked???  I’ve listened dozens of times and I didn’t realize this.  The suite is such a bizarre mishmash I just assumed they were.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Rebellion is Reborn, abbreviated incorrectly 

Whoops, fixed. Morning coffee hasn't kicked in!

It's worth noting the film version of the end credits jettisons a lot of Williams' arrangements for lengthy passages of tracked music:

1:05 - 1:50: Luke's Theme fanfare

1:51 - 2:40: Rose's Theme (a new recording specific to the end credits)

2:41 - 2:56: Leia's Theme tribute (on piano)

2:57 - 5:23: The Rebellion is Reborn (tracked from the concert suite)

5:23 - 7:29: The Battle of Crait (tracked from the film cue)

7:29 - 8:15: Here They Come, Again (end credits version, not tracked music)

8:15 - 9:18: Rey's Theme coda (end credits recording of Rey's melody on flute/strings followed by the 'celeste' motif in minor on chimes)

It is a little strange but I'm guessing the credits ended up running longer than Williams allowed when they recorded it, so they had no choice but to extend some passages with other material (it's pretty faithful to what Williams did on the album, when you think about what parts they extended).

The same thing happened with TFA's credits; they inserted the complete Resistance March concert suite over Williams' excerpt of the theme. Maybe Williams writes and records these before the duration of the credits has been finalised, so he just approximates the length?

All that said, we're assuming the album version is Williams' intended credits suite. I always felt the inclusions of Yoda's Theme and Holdo's Resolve were just because Williams liked those cues but couldn't find a place for them elsewhere on the soundtrack.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

:44 - 4:41 (a highlights montage from The Battle of Crait recorded for the end credits, not tracked music -- with fragments of the Resistance March, Rose's Theme, the Rebel Rebel Fanfare, Rey's A Theme, interspersed with athematic fanfares)

How do you know all of this was recorded for the end credits and not alternates?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

5:31 - 6:25: Holdo's Resolve (the film cue with its original ending; the film version seems to have an insert ending)

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds to me that the film cue is simply edited or shortened at the end to fit the scene.  The version heard in the end credits appears to be the full, unedited version.

Thanks for all this!

Finally, for a playlist, I wanted to select 2-3 tracks representative of the new material from TLJ.

I picked: The Rebellion is Reborn, The Battle of Crait and The Spark.

But the Post was composed after... it’s funny though, how that score sort of opens with almost the same motif from TLJ. Like how ‘Closing in’ from CMIYC features a very similar chord progression as ‘Across the Stars’.

• 8 months later...