THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

Obvious OST exclusions:

• Main Title (1:25)
  • The Rebellion is Reborn (concert suite, 3:59)
  • The Sacred Jedi Texts, mostly just variations of the Force Theme & direct lift of Yoda's Theme (3:32)
  • Canto Bight source music, due to the Brazil quotation?

Obvious inclusions:

• Escape without all the edits?
  • Film version of the end credits
  • Film version of the Snoke confrontation, rather than the microedited OST version?
  • Holdo's sacrifice?

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Obvious OST exclusions:

• Main Title (1:25)
  • The Rebellion is Reborn (concert suite, 3:59)
  • The Sacred Jedi Texts, mostly just variations of the Force Theme & direct lift of Yoda's Theme (3:32)
  • Canto Bight source music, due to the Brazil quotation?

Obvious inclusions:

• Escape without all the edits?
  • Film version of the end credits
  • Film version of the Snoke confrontation, rather than the microedited OST version?
  • Holdo's sacrifice?

One of the obvious inclusions should be:

Spoiler

Emperor's Theme while Snoke is torturing Rey

I also remember some interesting music while Rey is training with the lightsaber at the island.

Also, is it confirmed that The Rebellion is Reborn is a Concert Suite? I don't remember it appearing on the movie like on the album, but I'm not sure.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

It's unlikely, since they'll avoid including pieces with old themes in them.

That's so sad...

But FYC of The Force Awakens had some tracks that contained already existing themes like the Force theme in The Ways of the Force or the whole Jedi Steps and Finale track that had the finale theme and more Force theme.

1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

That's so sad...

But FYC of The Force Awakens had some tracks that contained already existing themes like the Force theme in The Ways of the Force or the whole Jedi Steps and Finale track that had the finale theme and more Force theme.

True, there's still a slight possibility it could be in there (as you said, the TFA FYC was not entirely devoid of statements of old themes) but I just doubt that.

Just now, Alex said:

Apologies if this seems like an ignorant question but why don't they just release FYC albums instead of the OST albums?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean with your question.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Apologies if this seems like an ignorant question but why don't they just release FYC albums instead of the OST albums?

The FYC is produced by some staffer at Disney and matches exactly how a score appeared in the final cut of the film, inclusive of any edits or mix changes. The included tracks are based around whatever makes the score most eligible for more awards, so they avoid including existing music where possible.

Williams himself produces the OST to his exact specifications, including and excluding any music he likes, regardless of whether it was in the film or not. If they only had FYC releases for scores, he'd never be able to release his concert suites of themes (because these are designed to only appear on his soundtracks, not in the film proper).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

. If they only had FYC releases for scores, he'd never be able to release his concert suites of themes (because these are designed to only appear on his soundtracks, not in the film proper).

More often than not, they are written for the end-credits, rather than solely for the album.

5 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Also, is it confirmed that The Rebellion is Reborn is a Concert Suite? I don't remember it appearing on the movie like on the album, but I'm not sure.

That track is absolutely a concert arrangement, no doubt about it.

But for what theme? I mean, there is Rose's Theme but is mixed with theme. What tha theme would be for? I think it might be like some New Resistance March or something like that but I'm not sure.

Anyway, this two themes are the new ones introduced in this score, along with some First Order material, but I wish there was a suite for some kind of First Order March.

1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, I know. But what the other theme is for? Is a new Resistance theme?

It's for Luke's island life/Luke teaching Rey/Luke's new theme or something along those lines.

On 12/16/2017 at 1:56 PM, filmmusic said:

They say it's the Luke/island theme or Luke/training theme, something like that..

On 12/16/2017 at 1:55 PM, Holko said:

It's for Luke's island life/Luke teaching Rey/Luke's new theme or something along those lines.

I guess I will have to rewatch the movie because I don't remember some when that theme played. Anyway, I love both themes a lot.

Well, while Rose's theme could get a concert version on its own, I don't consider that the other theme could stand on its own concert version. It's too short, and doesn't have any harmonic variety at all.

In a purely classical music context, it's B-theme material.

OK, i didn't know TFA well, and didn't remember that.

As for the other:

I don't consider it to be a nod at Poe's theme. They just share a brief harmonic progression or something with Rose's theme (didn't write it down to be more precise).

Many Star Wars themes have common traits, being parts of the same musical universe, but that doesn't mean one deliberately nods to another.

yes, that's why it may share a common trait with Rose's theme.

But I'm almost sure Williams didn't say:

OK, I'll finish Rose's theme with this figure from Poe's theme to allude to his theme.

That's what I mean this is not deliberate.

3 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

It's puzzling why Williams fused those two unrelated themes together.  He could have easily created 3 minute arrangements of each theme but I still like it regardless.

The Rose theme is naïvety, the Luke theme is conflict; musically it needs balance (=Rey), as does the Rebellion.

I'm thinking the version of “Chrome Dome” on the OST is quite abridged. Was there more to this cue in the film, as Phasma has her final line then plummets into the fire?

Presumably this cue is a strong candidate for FYC expansion, as it isn't reliant on existing themes (other than a brief Rebel Fanfare appearance). Probably likewise for the Ren/Rey/Knights of Ren battle, which also feels abridged compared to the film version.

I love that he mashed together the two new themes into one concert track. It shows that he's still experimenting with this series 40 years on. For all of his faults (which many are vocal about, particularly in this part of his career), John Williams will never be known as a predictable composer.

51 minutes ago, Fal said:

I wonder if we will get that quotation of the

Hide contents

First Order Hangar March.

That would be really great. I also realized there is a missing piece when

Spoiler

Rey and Kylo are fighting for the lightsaber of Luke and then Admiral Holdo jumps to lightspeed through the spaceship

3 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

That would be really great. I also realized there is a missing piece when

Hide contents

Rey and Kylo are fighting for the lightsaber of Luke and then Admiral Holdo jumps to lightspeed through the spaceship

Festured in the end credits immediately following Yoda’s theme

will there be a FYC CD? the score relies very much in old themes intertwined within the score. Which is not a bad thing, i just say that for example a masterpiece like ROTJ would not be eligible for today's standards...so they may decide not to push for it...

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

will there be a FYC CD?

We don't know yet. It is very likely, but we have to wait a bit to know for sure (if they follow the same schedule than for TFA, the FYC should be uploaded tomorrow, according to LeBlanc).

Just now, BloodBoal said:

We don't know yet. It is very likely, but we have to wait a bit to know for sure (if they follow the same schedule than for TFA, the FYC should be uploaded tomorrow, according to LeBlanc).

My theory is blasted though, just checked the disney page, they take into consideration the score, so by the least, some promo will be made.

Just now, Stefancos said:

So soon?

Last year i think i listened to the FYC after only being able to listen to the OST once...

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So soon?

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, it was about a week after the OST and movie had been released. Maybe even less.

Oi!

On 12/14/2017 at 11:24 AM, Jay said:

Hello,

The Force Awakens opened (in the US) on Friday, December 18th, 2015.

On Monday, December 21st, 2015, we discovered that Disney's Awards consideration side had added an album of score that could be streamed or download that was different than TFA's OST. 

36 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

will there be a FYC CD? the score relies very much in old themes intertwined within the score. Which is not a bad thing, i just say that for example a masterpiece like ROTJ would not be eligible for today's standards...so they may decide not to push for it...

They are pushing for it as it appears on their FYC website. But I don't think he will get a nomination this year.

Karol