THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

There were some nice material in it. Your loss. ;)

Oh I agree, the FYC was much better than the OST, and when I listened to that score I listen to an FYC/OST hybrid playlist.  I just wasn't enthused enough to try to hunt down a physical copy of the FYC like I eventually did for TFA.

the interesting thing,as mentioned, is that if you replace the /score with /music it redirects to a new page with leia...i dont remember that the other day...

We've gone over that already too

On 12/18/2017 at 3:26 PM, Jay said:

Well, I would suggest that since if you plug any random characters after the base URL you get an empty page like this:

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/music

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/williams

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/sadfsafcdsacwacgbcxvbcx

BUT if you use "score" you get a different page:

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/score

Is a good indication that a page is coming, its just not live yet.

In other words the fact that /music goes there is meaningless, you get the same empty Leia page if you type /anything that isn't /consider /screenings /synopsis or /score

47 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

KM, always the optimist...

No kidding. I have a good Gordon Ramsay quote on him, but that wording would be against forum rules.

5 days after soundtrack release, there isn't more additional music readily available, such a dissapointment, all hope is gone.

I think I haven't listened to TFA FYC more than once.

3 hours ago, geosis said:

the interesting thing,as mentioned, is that if you replace the /score with /music it redirects to a new page with leia...i dont remember that the other day...

That page with Leia is for the synopsis.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

you get the same empty Leia page if you type /anything that isn't /consider /screenings /synopsis or /score

Is the Finn's Trek score from the TFA FYC incorporated into any tracks from the TFA/TLJ OST's? Or does he have an actual theme and I'm just missing it?

Finn's Theme is the theme at 1:10 of Follow Me, 0:11 of The Falcon, 2:48 of The Rathtars, and 5:00 of the end credits. It isn't used in TLJ at all, at least not on the OST and not in the film.

And I don't believe any musical material from "Finn's Trek" is ever used anywhere else, but I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I once again have to quote the first post of this thread

and this time I'll add

You're right, of course, and as I mentioned earlier my little rationale was just an optimistic attempt at wishful thinking. People study online trends and those can have a bizarre effect on things like this, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I think the only thing we can know for certain is that there doesn't seem to be an established "norm," so that's another thing to help continue the positive thinking. 😉

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't believe that never turned up.  Disney must have not mailed out many copies of it at all.

I think only one copy went on ebay?  sold for like 400.00.  I assumed there'd be more and let it go. 

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Finn's Theme is the theme at 1:10 of Follow Me, 0:11 of The Falcon, 2:48 of The Rathtars, and 5:00 of the end credits. It isn't used in TLJ at all, at least not on the OST and not in the film.

And I don't believe any musical material from "Finn's Trek" is ever used anywhere else, but I could be wrong.

Isn't this a hint of Finn's theme's rhythm pattern?

On 12/15/2017 at 2:11 AM, Jay said:

It's not Finn's Theme there.  Its just simliar-ish music, it plays when BB8 is fiddling with wires in Poe's X-Wing.

Finn doesn't wake up from his coma until after the whole first battle is over

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Isn't this a hint of Finn's theme's rhythm pattern?

Finn's not in that scene... but then again it was never actually definitively stated to be his theme.

That moment focuses on BB8, who of course is also prominently featured during the "Finn's theme" scenes in TFA, so yeah it could be JW quoting that motif.

Honestly? I hope not.  

It was fine in TFA, but a bit overused. The new themes JW uses for the Resistance in TLJ are so much better. 

I prefer a generally new score for IX, but if JW had to reuse themes, I'd prefer he cull them from the newer score.

In other news, I contacted Disney's press people about the FYC this morning. No answer yet, but we'll see.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

So it's coincidence Finn is part of the scene every time its used?

Also, don't forget what the actor said:

Finn has a theme in The Force Awakens score

Boyega also called out the moment Finn takes off his helmet as a cool musical moment when he was asked about JW's music in an interview. In the film...it's low bass underscore. I see it as a chase motif which would explain why it disappears after the 1st act even though Finn does not.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

So it's coincidence Finn is part of the scene every time its used?

Also, don't forget what the actor said:

Finn has a theme in The Force Awakens score

Yeah that's the real clincher for me. I think it's likely that JW personally told Boyega that they were playing Finn's theme. 

By the way, this is kinda random, but in regards to the "Han and the Princess" theme:

I am really starting to think that Williams thinks of it as "Han's theme." He referred to it as such in the Tavis Smiley interview before TFA, and there's an unreleased cue in the TLJ score where Luke tells Rey, "Han was, well, Han about it," and the theme plays. Leia has nothing at all to do with that scene. 

Furthermore, I'm sure this has been noted before, but I was just watching the TESB opening and I noticed that the first appearance of the theme is when Han talks to Luke over the comm - Leia hasn't had any scenes yet. 

To be sure, it's likely that Williams wrote it romantically because of Han's arc in TESB, and some of Williams' uses of it as recently as TFA do seem to support the idea of it being a love theme. Williams of course doesn't take his thematic associations too seriously, so perhaps there is no right answer. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I want that lightsaber training cue more than anything else.  A longer Battle of Crait track would be welcome too!

Fortunately I think if there's only two additions we're guaranteed to have on the FYC, it would be Escape and Battle of Crait without all the edits; two setpiece tracks they wouldn't exclude, and they can't edit those moments like they did for the OST.

15 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Could it be that there was another version of Finn taking his helmet off that got replaced with the low bass underscore?

Anything is possible with TFA.

That's why the FYC album is so good. For that section of the film in particular it has The Resistance which features the punchiest version of MOTR and an awesome, heroic extended version of Poe's theme. The different performance of Kylo Ren's theme in Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle and the extra oomph in The Abduction make the FYC an important addition to the TFA OST. 

I hope we get TLJ FYC soon. C'mon Disney!

2 hours ago, Will said:

Yeah that's the real clincher for me. I think it's likely that JW personally told Boyega that they were playing Finn's theme. 

By the way, this is kinda random, but in regards to the "Han and the Princess" theme:

I am really starting to think that Williams thinks of it as "Han's theme." He referred to it as such in the Tavis Smiley interview before TFA, and there's an unreleased cue in the TLJ score where Luke tells Rey, "Han was, well, Han about it," and the theme plays. Leia has nothing at all to do with that scene. 

Furthermore, I'm sure this has been noted before, but I was just watching the TESB opening and I noticed that the first appearance of the theme is when Han talks to Luke over the comm - Leia hasn't had any scenes yet. 

To be sure, it's likely that Williams wrote it romantically because of Han's arc in TESB, and some of Williams' uses of it as recently as TFA do seem to support the idea of it being a love theme. Williams of course doesn't take his thematic associations too seriously, so perhaps there is no right answer. 

This has been discussed before but honestly on paper the idea of a masculine character like Han being scored with such a theme is strange.

It is as if Across The Stars were Anakin's theme. 

I think it is more a result of circumstances than intentions. The love theme took flight in Ep 5 when they begin falling in love even though they were both characters in 4 too. In Ep 5, Han and Leia are mostly together. So you play their theme.

In Ep 6, post defreezing, they are again mostly together, so you play their theme. And Han and Leia have come to be defined by their love story. If they are apart, you have a shot of Leia and you play the love Theme and the implication is she's thinking about him. Same with Han, play it over him and the implication is that he's thinking about her.

So essentially, the OT concluded without the express need for a Han theme. (A parallel example is Finn in 8. 99% of his screentime with Rose. So basically Williams plays Rose's theme over all those scenes without the need for a theme for Finn).

So Williams arrives at 7 and 8 and this is the first time almost all Han and Leia scenes are apart and they are probably divorced or something. So this is that edge case scenario where the love theme probably does not apply. 

But it would have been really pointless and jarring to write an entirely new theme for a major character who's going to be around for half a film. So Williams basically chose to use the Love theme in this particular context.

So again I feel circumstances led to the love theme being used to represent Han rather than the intent of the composer to represent a macho character with a florid feminine theme.

Han Solo and the Princess was never Han's theme in my mind

it'a like how the Rebel Fanfare was a theme for the empire in Star Wars and became a theme for the Rebels. Williams seems to change his mind with time

11 minutes ago, king mark said:

it'a like how the Rebel Fanfare was a theme for the empire in Star Wars and became a theme for the Rebels. Williams seems to change his mind with time

I still don’t buy this. Where did this idea come from again?