THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

5 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

Oh the FYC is illegal to download?

No.  Read my post again, I never said that.

I said you can't ask others ON OUR PUBLIC FORUMS to upload copyrighted material for you.  The rules are very clear about this.  Please read them again, because you have shown a continuing disregard for them.

There is nothing illegal about downloading the FYC files from Disney's webserver.  If your iPad can't open Disney's zip file, try installing an app onto your iPad that handles ZIP files.  

20 hours ago, Jay said:

You're going to have to stop asking publicly for people to illegal upload copyrighted files for you.  Please read our rules again.

If you can't manage to download from Disney's website, please use our PM system.  This is your final warning about this.

The FYC isn't free?

20 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

It's the string thing in the latter bit of "The Master Codebreaker", if I'm not mistaken.

19 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's in Master Codebreaker I think...

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yeah it's at the end of Master Codebreaker.

Hmm, I’ll have another listen. From my first go-round, the snippet I heard in the film was not on the FYC.

Edit: Took another listen and no, that’s not it.

6 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

The FYC isn't free?

Huh?  I was just saying you can't use our public forums to ask people to upload stuff to dropbox for you, I wasn't saying you can't download the FYC off Disney's website.

But my point is that these files, contrary to the OST tracks, are made freely available by the owner. Thus, there is theoretically nothing wrong with sharing them. This isn't like a commercial product Disney is putting on store shelves, like the OST; these are files that are essentially given online. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter where they are downloaded from; Disney is not losing any money by the files that THEY gave out, being spread around the Internet.

Yea, none of what you just said is relevant here; you're talking about being morally OK with spreading Disney's FYC album, which isn't the issue here, not at all . The issue is the rules of this forum you're posting on, which states you can't use the public forums to ask for people to upload copyrighted music for you.  Maybe you should read the rules too

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

17 minutes ago, Jwfan2234 said:

Oh the FYC is illegal to download?

Yes, and no, discussing illegal downloads and sharing is against forum rules here. Downloading the zip at your own convenience is entirely legal.

Anyhow, that Poe's Theme in "Escape" is pretty great, but the overall track is a MESS!

"Rey's Journey" and "Holdo's Resolve" are pretty great tracks all the way through!

The FYC really tried to specifically seek out cues that either feature entirely TLJ themes only, or only SLIGHT references to existing themes.

OT themes are ALMOST nowhere to be found, and really only the Resistance March and Rey's Theme from TFA have any big statements.

Does Kylo Ren's theme even appear at all?

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

0:49 in The Master Codebreaker I believe. I've never heard The Long Googbye so I'm only guessing.

As I recall, it sounded like track 4 on the Quartet release, minus the vocal:

http://www.quartetrecords.com/media/music/158/04 Vocal by Jack Sheldon.mp3

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Does Kylo Ren's theme even appear at all?

Think it appears in The Supremacy (as he pilots the fighter) and The Last Jedi (for his final stand against Force Luke) but most other references are gone.

But yeah, lots of the OST versions are gone. Escape, Revisiting Snoke, Peace and Purpose, etc.

4 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yes, and no, discussing illegal downloads and sharing is against forum rules here. Downloading the zip at your own convenience is entirely legal.

That's the point; these downloads aren't "illegal". So we can discuss them. Correct?

I don't understand this question.  You have always been able to DISCUSS film music that hasn't been released officially on these forums - this entire website was created to discuss unreleased music from The Phantom Menace, after all.  You haven't noticed that we talk about bootlegs and recording sessions - not to mention just, you know. music you can hear in the film that isn't on the CD - all the time?

The rules ban providing LINKS to download copyrighted music (or asking for links), not DISCUSSION of music that wasn't on a commercial album release.  This isn't FSM!

I listened to the whole FYC album but nothing jumps out at me as great additions to what we already have on the OST. Escape is really messy and doesn't compare to how nice it is to have The Attack on the Jakku Village from the TFA FYC. Likewise, though The Last Jedi FYC has some nice Rey's Theme stuff in front of it, the overall flow is messier. There are no clear musical must haves like The Resistance from the TFA FYC. 

I think the OST Finale is better value. The last cue isn't microedited, it features a unique version of Yoda's Theme not included elsewhere, and the Holdo's Resolve track seems to be a variation on the film cue (possibly recorded specifically for the credits).

Most of the extra music is just tracked music from the Battle of Crait.

Finally was able to listen to the whole thing.  

The repeated opening phrase of Rey's Theme towards the beginning of The Last Jedi is neat and all, but then the longer string variation later is really cool!  And yea Kylo Ren's theme finally shows up eventually here.  

I really don't like how they gave the section of "Peace and Purpose" after the Force Theme bit for Luke's Death the title "Old Friends", as that was already used on the OST for its combination of three other completely different cues (the cue for Luke with R2, one of the Rey/Ren convos, and the cue here titles "Conversation").  Why did they do that, bah!

Overall, its a messy, disjointed "Album", but adding in the ~10 minutes of new stuff here to the OST makes for a more fulfilling listening experience overall, I would think.  Haven't had a chance to really dig into it like that yet.

I dunno if the mix is a little different either, or if its just cause I'm listening on a pair of good headphones (I've only heard the OST on speakers or earbuds so far)

Yea the choir seemed more powerful to me, and the harp in Finale.  But I wasn't sure if it was just my headphones

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't understand this question.  You have always been able to DISCUSS film music that hasn't been released officially on these forums - this entire website was created to discuss unreleased music from The Phantom Menace, after all.  You haven't noticed that we talk about bootlegs and recording sessions - not to mention just, you know. music you can hear in the film that isn't on the CD - all the time?

The rules ban providing LINKS to download copyrighted music (or asking for links), not DISCUSSION of music that wasn't on a commercial album release.  This isn't FSM!

I take it this was in response to me? I never said I thought you couldn't discuss film music that hadn't been released officially; @Arpy did: "discussing illegal downloads and sharing is against forum rules here."

LOL Now I'm getting confused too.

you can discuss bootlegs here, is that clear enough

can't post links where to download them

will it be possible to incorporate the FYC unreleased music into OST ones like Escape or this will require a lot of editing effort?

Ultimately a pretty good FYC!

Most of my wanted missing cues are here - the March of the Resistance for Holdo's speech, the escape pod bit (which is much better than I remembered), Holdo's sacrifice, and Rey's theme at the start of "The Last Jedi." Then of course there some other welcome additions - one of the missing Poe's theme statements in "Escape," "The Master Codebreaker," etc.

The main ones we're still missing would be

- Rey training

- Holdo and Leia's goodbye 

- Poe's speech

There of course some other great missing bits - Finn and Rose sneaking away from the Resistance, at least one of Rey and Kylo talking, one of the Luke/Rey scenes I think, sneaking around on the star destroyer, the "You Need a Pilot" reprise, when the Resistance sets up shop on Crait, other things I'm forgetting - and whatever's in the deleted scenes. It is a shame we didn't get the full beginning of "Escape," or the full "The Supremacy" cue, but honestly we have a fair amount at this point.

10 minutes ago, king mark said:

will it be possible to incorporate the FYC unreleased music into OST ones like Escape or this will require a lot of editing effort?

Escape on the FYC is a freaking mess - haven't you listened to it by now?

The opening battle sequence must have been heavily edited after scoring, the music is so choppy and bits we know from the OST are gone or shortened, etc.  Some of the music in there that isn't on the OST doesn't sound like its playing through naturally, its choppy sounding too.  The great Poe's Theme part from 2:40-2:55 is surrounded by really choppy music on both sides.  Might take a while to figure out

As much as it pains me to leave out that statement of Poe’s theme, I will probably not touch “Escape” from the OST for my personal edit. Restoring that and the other micro edits will drive my perfectionist brain insane. The other edits should be relatively straightforward, outside of that track

Too bad the cue from Luke's second lesson (when he recaps the Jedi's first fall, and his own failure) isn't there.  I love the slight hint of the "Luke and Leia" theme in it!  Still, great we finally got this.

19 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Then why even bother with micro-edits at all?

The microedits either match the film or remove content from previous scores. Old themes don't count as original score for The Last Jedi as they weren't composed for The Last Jedi.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I really don't like how they gave the section of "Peace and Purpose" after the Force Theme bit for Luke's Death the title "Old Friends", as that was already used on the OST for its combination of three other completely different cues (the cue for Luke with R2, one of the Rey/Ren convos, and the cue here titles "Conversation").  Why did they do that, bah!

I thought FYCs generally used the actual cue names. Is there any reason to think "Old Friends" isn't the name Williams gave that cue at the recording sessions?

2 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

The microedits either match the film or remove content from previous scores. Old themes don't count as original score for The Last Jedi as they weren't composed for The Last Jedi.

The piece I'm referring to isn't thematic and it doesn't appear anywhere else in this score or any other film, so there's no reason it shouldn't be included.

The cue before it was from a completely different scene, yet it was still inserted for whatever reason. I'll never understand their bizarre process.

EDIT: I just realized something... I was basing the mix off of a crappy recording of the scene I found online, and it appears to have a cut, possibly indicating that the uploader removed some footage. I can't remember, is there a scene between the scene when Luke/Kylo ignite their lightsabers and the scene where they start fighting? I might be just remembering the film wrong. In that case they would indeed be two separate cues.

1 hour ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Of course; that's always been clear. My point was that a FREE, officially-released FYC isn't a "bootleg", so download links are allowed. Disney put this out in the wild of their own volition.

That's just it, these tracks HAVEN'T BEEN "officially released." They're being specially distributed for voting members of the various organizations Disney hopes will shower The Last Jedi with nominations and awards this spring. As such these mp3s will doubtless be removed from Disney's websites at some point and there will be a note on the CD labeling it as the property of Walt Disney Company, which they can demand be returned to them at any time. Only the one commercially available soundtrack album is official at this point.

The TFA and Rogue One FYC's I believe are still available on the site, or at least they were for about a year. The MP3's are on their website, and anyone can find and download them. Therefore it is officially released and available to the public.

Is it me or were the credits and film cue version of Here they Come switched?

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The TFA and Rogue One FYC's I believe are still available on the site, or at least they were for about a year. The MP3's are on their website, and anyone can find and download them. Therefore it is officially released and available to the public.

Last I heard they were unavailable. 

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

I wonder if it's because Kylo's theme was s major identity in TFA and this is how it will be eligible for consideration?

I dunno about that. Rey's theme and the Resistance march are allowed to feature much more, even though they are returning themes too from TFA. So technically even Kylo's material should be allowed.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

There is not theme for Holdo IMO, just more of a general "Resistance in trouble" motif.  

It can be heard on the OST at:

01 Escape 6:15-7:08

15 Chrome Dome 0:25-0:35

20 Finale 5:47-6:25

It can be heard on the FYC at:

01 Escape 6:12-6:53

14 Holdo's Resolve 1:37-2:12

15 Chrome Dome 0:25-0:32

I thought it was pretty obviously connected to her, considering the two main places I remember hearing it in the film are when Holdo says goodbye to Leia and stays behind on the ship, and then when she rams the First Order in lightspeed.