THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

Holdo.... is that character that just had her hair done and wears an evening dress... for commanding an entire fleet of spaceships when the resistance is about to fall into ruin?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't know what you mean by "the extra material at the begining of the cue" because the the FYC track is music for later, after both the Emperor's Theme bit and an unreleased cue covering some Finn/Rose and Resistance scenes.  It starts when when Snoke drops Rey down to the ground, like I said in my post.

Since the FYC track added music to the begining of the cue I assumed this would have encompassed the whole sequence. But as you pointed out it does not. Thanks.

FYC 15 Chrome Dome (2:03)

OST equivalent: 15 "Chrome Dome" (2:03)

This covers the aftermath of the explosion, Finn and Rose coming out of the rubble, and Finn fighting Phasma.  The FYC and OST versions are about the same, though the FYC from 0:56-1:00 is a bit longer than the equivalent OST passage (0:53-0:55), the FYC has an edit that removes material at 1:09, the FYC from 1:12-1:18 is longer than the equivalent OST passage (1:15-1:19), and the FYC is longer from 1:27-1:32 compared the OST 1:28-1:30.  Overall I'd say go with the OST version, because the bit in the OST the FYC skips past is actually unique material, while all the parts where the FYC is longer are basically just sustaining bits in between the action for longer.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:31 PM, Bofur01 said:

Made a simple OST/FYC combo playlist based on CGCJ's Analysis, and shamelessly ripped off the formatting from Jay's OST/FYC playlists for TFA and Rogue One (Sorry Jay :P)

01) OST 07 The Rebellion is Reborn (Concert Arrangement)

02) FYC 01 Escape

03) OST 02 Ahch-To Island

04) OST 03 Revisiting Snoke

05) OST 04 The Supremacy

06) FYC 04 Admiral Holdo

07) FYC 05 Fun With Finn and Rose

08) OST 06 Old Friends

09) OST 08 Lesson One

10) OST 09 Canto Bight

11) FYC 09 The Master Codebreaker

12) OST 10 Who Are You?

13) OST 11 The Fathiers

14) OST 12 The Cave

15) OST 13 The Sacred Jedi Texts

16) FYC 12 Rey's Journey

17) FYC 13 A New Alliance

18) FYC 14 Holdo's Resolve

19) OST 15 "Chrome Dome"

20) FYC 16 The Battle of Crait

21) FYC 17 The Spark

22) FYC 18 The Last Jedi

23) OST 19 Peace and Purpose

24) FYC Finale

Runtime = 1hr 31m

Is this still an accurate chronological mix of the OST & FYC if I wanted a complete-as-possible version of the soundtrack but didn't want to have to do ANY editing of the individual tracks? 

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

Does part of Holdo's Resolve appear in the OST version of the End Credits or is that a different version of that material?

Yes, it appears after Yoda's theme in the OST end credits. The only difference is the how they end. 

Gosh the opening of this cue is great:

TLJ unfortunately has less of the gorgeous low-key emotional stuff that TFA had, but this cue still has some!

29 minutes ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

That can't be true. Look no further than Escape for proof.

I mean they can edit OUT stuff but the general idea is that the music has to be presented as heard in the film for the most part. The category is not best soundtrack album but best score as written for a picture.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't understand your posts about the Finale, @Justanothercrow421.  Do you think the final FYC track is somehow different from what's heard in the actual film?

I listened to it and there is a part that is edited awkwardly to fit the credits. Nothing new that I could hear though.

6 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I mean they can edit OUT stuff but the general idea is that the music has to be presented as heard in the film for the most part. The category is not best soundtrack album but best score as written for a picture.

Those two statements are conflicting (through no fault of your own): a score is written for a picture but oftentimes winds up edited once they begin final editing, so it's not representative of what was written for the picture. It's a bizarre rule, for sure: perhaps they should remove the "as written for a picture" part if that's the case.

I'm sure I've seen FYCs which have more or different music to what's on film in the past. I'm going to guess what's happened with these is they've just gone for the easy route because of the sheer volume of music for both this film and TFA, and the number of alternates, and just used the film stems to source the FYC from.

Having listened to Holdo's Resolve, about halfway through when you get that big burst, at the end of it, there's a six-note horn motif playing there that is very reminiscent of the end of "It Can't Be" from Revenge Of The Sith.

Apparently there's a Battle of the Heroes reference in Escape too, but I can't say I hear it.

Also, Escape contains an alternate piece for The Battle of Crait, from about 1:44-2:21. I'm starting to wonder if some of the cues in both TFA and TLJ are meant to be 'catch-all' pieces that can be put anywhere they're needed - there was a similar instance in TFA where some of the music used in the intro was from later in the film (the music that scores the Star Destroyer going over Jakku was an abridged version of the music from Kylo's tantrum after finding Rey had escaped and the Starkiller Base preparations)

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Amy particular ones that come to mind?

Not immediately, no. However, in addition to either having more or different music sometimes, unless I'm mistaken Disney tends to submit the unaltered commercially-available OSTs for their Disney Classics submissions. I'm pretty sure both Moana and Zootopia were submitted for consideration last year and they were both their OST presentations, which doesn't exactly represent the music in the film. Under such a rule, such submissions would be considered against the rules.

Wasn't Star Trek Beyond submitted last year too? IIRC that too was its OST presentation which definitely is not how the music is heard in the film.

30 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Having listened to Holdo's Resolve, about halfway through when you get that big burst, at the end of it, there's a six-note horn motif playing there that is very reminiscent of the end of "It Can't Be" from Revenge Of The Sith.

Apparently there's a Battle of the Heroes reference in Escape too, but I can't say I hear it.

Also, Escape contains an alternate piece for The Battle of Crait, from about 1:44-2:21. I'm starting to wonder if some of the cues in both TFA and TLJ are meant to be 'catch-all' pieces that can be put anywhere they're needed - there was a similar instance in TFA where some of the music used in the intro was from later in the film (the music that scores the Star Destroyer going over Jakku was an abridged version of the music from Kylo's tantrum after finding Rey had escaped and the Starkiller Base preparations)

6:10 on the OST for the Battle of the Heroes reference. Not sure if it's all that intentional, however.

Edit: Also the FYC. I think... I made an edit, and now I'm not sure which is which. In any case, it's about a minute and a half before the end of the first track!

49 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Not immediately, no. However, in addition to either having more or different music sometimes, unless I'm mistaken Disney tends to submit the unaltered commercially-available OSTs for their Disney Classics submissions. I'm pretty sure both Moana and Zootopia were submitted for consideration last year and they were both their OST presentations, which doesn't exactly represent the music in the film. Under such a rule, such submissions would be considered against the rules.

Wasn't Star Trek Beyond submitted last year too? IIRC that too was its OST presentation which definitely is not how the music is heard in the film.

There is a distinction between what you are calling a submission and an FYC CD.

A submission is paperwork submitted to the academy so that they consider the score.

This is the necessary part and the only mandatory part.

The second part is capaigning where the fyc comes in. And this part is optional.

Now there are multiple awards happening during the awards season. ONLY the academy has strict explicit rules regarding the score category. So if a company is in general campaigning a score for ALL awards, they can put whatever they want on their FYC website.

Now only in the case of physical CDs sent to members of the composers branch during the nomination period would the rule strictly apply to send the score as heard in the film. So this is the one instance - where it has to be the score as heard in the film (some people call this the Academy promo).

So in the light of this, are you saying a website had the OST album or that members of the composer's branch in the academy were mailed physical copies of the OST? 

The first one wouldn't be disqualifing. The second one potentially could be.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

There is a distinction between what you are calling a submission and an FYC CD.

A submission is paperwork submitted to the academy so that they consider the score.

This is the necessary part and the only mandatory part.

The second part is capaigning where the fyc comes in. And this part is optional.

Now there are multiple awards happening during the awards season. ONLY the academy has strict explicit rules regarding the score category. So if a company is in general campaigning a score for ALL awards, they can put whatever they want on their FYC website.

Now only in the case of physical CDs sent to members of the composers branch during the nomination period would the rule strictly apply to send the score as heard in the film. So this is the one instance - where it has to be the score as heard in the film (some people call this the Academy promo).

So in the light of this, are you saying a website had the OST album or that members of the composer's branch in the academy were mailed physical copies of the OST? 

The first one wouldn't be disqualifing. The second one potentially could be.

Thank you for expanding on it.

What I meant was that the sites carried the OST albums. I wouldn't know of any being sent out.

47 minutes ago, fommes said:

Yes, it's fairly obvious in the film when it pops up.

yes, I got immediately when I saw the film in theater. However, the bit I'm talking about in "The Master Codebreaker" is very Broadway-esque, in a kind of Jerome Kern/Cole Porter sound. And I'm pretty sure it's a quote of something famous, but right now I cannot remember what :)

If it was a quote of another composer's work, it would have been listed in the end credits of the film.  However, the end credits only list Brasil & The Long Goodbye in term's of existing compositions in the film.  So, it could be an homage to something existing, but not a direct quote.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:13 PM, crumbs said:

Have there been any physical Disney FYCs on eBay this year at all? Maybe they've changed their strategy...

FYCs CDs for Thor: Ragnarok and Coco are now up on eBay. Haven’t seen ones for TLJ or Cars 3, yet, though.

Spoiler

D054111A-9909-418E-B9CC-E6A1443919C9.jpegB6CBE5ED-8DFE-4ACB-B8E4-21B0BE277A5D.jpeg

Did anyone else catch the really cool appearance of Kylo's theme at 1:07 in "A New Alliance"? Trombones play the first three notes, and then if you listen you can hear the horns come in with the fourth note.

Don't bother my disrespectful view of the movie... 

Music is AWEOME. 

I must say.. my new best short musical moment from JW is from "Rey's Journeys" track 12 -  (now from the FYC album) from 0:52 - 1:01 - this alone is worth of an oscar (if I give a shit about them)....

Thank you for the cover!! :)  

1 hour ago, aviazn said:

The “battle of the heros” bit in Escape can be derived from the Holdo/desperation theme in retrograde. Start in Escape with the A in the third beat of bar 4 and play the notes backwards to the start and see what you get. I could be wrong too, but to me this seems like a deliberate variation.

The string figure that appears in Escape immediately after this is also melodically based on the Holdo/desperation theme (the first five notes are the same).

I knew it!!

On 28/12/2017 at 11:57 PM, Jay said:

FYC 14 Holdo's Resolve (2:17)

OST equivalent: None - Completely new track!

This covers some space action with the Resistance cruiser preparing to jump to lightspeed, Hux ordering his men to keep firing on the transports, Phasma ordering a more painful death for Finn and Rose, and then Holdo turning the cruiser around and ramming it into the Supremacy.

Do you think they tracked this track in "Finale" (OST) from 5:30 to 6:20?

The end of FYC "Holdo's Resolve" does seem to be essentially the same as the Holdo bit in "Finale", except for a small shift of time which is either an edit or a speed difference somewhere in the middle, and the very end of "Resolve" isn't in "Finale" and instead there is a transition to the next theme.

Yeah and I think it's great they didn't use the movie version of the credits for the OST, knowing that it's just some tracked/similar stuff from The Battle Of Crait.

12 minutes ago, Mitth'raw'nuorodo said:

So where is "Peace and Purpose?" Was it folded into another track or is it just not on here? And why is "Old Friends" so close to the end? On the OST, it's near the beginning. Thanks!

"Old Friends" contains the last minute-twenty of it, indicating Peace And Purpose is made up of more than one cue.

Confusing, I know: "Old Friends" is the OST track that comes way earlier, whereas on the FYC it's the name for something else entirely.