THE LAST JEDI - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album

Jay

On 14-12-2017 at 5:24 PM, Jay said:

FYC 05 Fun With Finn And Rose (3:03)

OST equivalent: 05 Fun With Finn And Rose [0:25-end] (2:09)

The OST from 0:00-0:25 contains the cue for Rose telling Finn about her sister, then realizing he's trying to escape and stuns him (it only contains the Paige story portion of the cue, though).  This cue isn't on the FYC at all, so you'd need to break it out into its own track if you want to keep it (you can call it "You Are a Hero" or "That's a Real Hero".  I wouldn't call it "Finn Meets Rose" though, because THAT cue comes before this one and isn't on the FYC or the OST at all).

In the film, that cue segues immediately to the next cue, which covers which covers Finn and Rose coming up with their plan and telling it to Poe.  This cue appears in full on the FYC track, while the OST version omits the opening minute due to it seguing from partway through the sister story cue to partway through the planning cue.

So, Option 1 is to break out OST 0:00-0:25 into its own track, and then use FYC 05 for the next cue in its own track.  Option 2 would be If you don't want to do WAV editing, then its a a personal preference if you rather use the OST track (Paige story opening -> incomplete planning cue) or the FYC track (no Paige story at all, but complete planning cue).

I'm curious: Has anyone managed to combine the OST and FYC versions of that track in any way by any chance?

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I tried but stopped. That first 25 seconds of the OST track is hard to isolate because the cues overlap. There might be another way of including it, just not sure yet.

I think it might be more possible with a lossless source, which we don't have right now.

EDIT: screw the tablet suggestions.

As far as we know, at this point nobody around here has had hands-on of the physical FYC for The Last Jedi or Rogue One.

One person dug into their pockets for TFA, but I don't remember who that was.  I don't know if they still post.  If there's HQ art for that, I'd check the TFA FYC thread.

6 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I'm curious: Has anyone managed to combine the OST and FYC versions of that track in any way by any chance?

You wouldn't really "combine" them, though.  The first 25 seconds of the OST track is a totally different cue.  You'd break it out into its own track.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I tried but stopped. That first 25 seconds of the OST track is hard to isolate because the cues overlap. There might be another way of including it, just not sure yet.

5 hours ago, Gistech said:

I think it might be more possible with a lossless source, which we don't have right now.

How would a lossless FYC help with creating a fake ending of the cue that makes up the first 25 seconds of the OST track?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

One person dug into their pockets for TFA, but I don't remember who that was.  I don't know if they still post.  If there's HQ art for that, I'd check the TFA FYC thread.

It was JWFan user @Zaralyth who bought it. 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25940-the-force-awakens-for-your-consideration-fyc-album/&do=findComment&comment=1212844

Eventually many, many more turned up on ebay; I got mine for $40 I think.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

You wouldn't really "combine" them, though.  The first 25 seconds of the OST track is a totally different cue.  You'd break it out into its own track.

For correctness, they'd have to be separate tracks.

But I personally wouldn't mind a clever combination of sorts instead.

I gave it a quick try myself last week, but as you and others here said as well, that didn't work at all.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

How would a lossless FYC help with creating a fake ending of the cue that makes up the first 25 seconds of the OST track?

You could use a 'knockout' plug in to remove the section that the FYC shares with the OST, but I think doing it with the MP3 one is going to leave something of a 'messy echo' (as I like to call it when it leaves distorted traces behind). If you had a lossless source, while you might not be able to knock it out entirely, there would be less 'messy' echo.

It's a bit like trying to include the alternate OST opening for I Can Fly Anything into the FYC track, just doesn't really work.

The best solution might be including OST track from 0:00 to 0:48, then transitioning into the similar strings ostinato that starts the FYC track. That way you repeat a small section of Rose's Theme but, as this is the first appearance of her theme in the score, it's actually a nice introductory reprise.

I personally don't have an issue with JW's combined tracks unless they really mess with the chronology (Who Are You for example, which will definitely be broken up).

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's a bit like trying to include the alternate OST opening for I Can Fly Anything into the FYC track, just doesn't really work.

The best solution might be including OST track from 0:00 to 0:48, then transitioning into the similar strings ostinato that starts the FYC track. That way you repeat a small section of Rose's Theme but, as this is the first appearance of her theme in the score, it's actually a nice introductory reprise.

That's not a bad idea

12 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Alrighty, so here's a rough 1000x1000 FYC cover I made, using @Ports's TFA cover as a template:

cover.jpg

Looks nice, but I noticed that the text font/placement above the logo for TLJ is actually supposed to be slightly different than TFA's.

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd like to hear that. :D

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

I personally don't have an issue with JW's combined tracks unless they really mess with the chronology (Who Are You for example, which will definitely be broken up).

Maybe that was done because "Who Are You?" is relatively quiet and "Prison Escape" adds a more exciting ending to it?

Combining them also adds Luke's Theme in a track related to him and Rey being on Ahch-To, which makes some sort of sense, I suppose.

Also serves to confuse the listener and suggest story events that didn't quite occur that way in the film at all... :lol:

On 12/01/2018 at 12:12 AM, Remco said:

Adding ‘Rey’s Journey’, ‘Holdo’s Resolve’ and having the FYC versions of ‘The Spark’ and ‘The Last Jedi’ really creates an awesome sequence of non-stop action material, holy crap. Just when you think you can’t have more orchestral stuff, Williams adds the choir to top it. It makes the whole thing feel much bigger than on the OST.

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna try this out. 

On 26/12/2017 at 6:15 PM, Laserschwert said:

I hope someone will manage to combine the differently edited versions of the cues that appear on both the OST and the FYC into longer (and more complete) tracks.

Someone did it:
LINK REMOVED

13 hours ago, GABRIEL BEZERRA said:

Someone did it:
LINK REMOVED

That is an illegal bootlegging site and you're not allowed to link to it on our forums.

Maybe someone has already pointed this out but recently I went to see The Last Jedi again and noted this time that there is a ton of uses of Poe's theme that are not present on either the FYC soundtrack or the original. It's bizarre and I don't know why they weren't included. The most obvious use that I noticed every time I've seen the movie is when Poe is talking to BB-8 in his cockpit on the way to the dreadnought, it's a fun take on the theme. Then later when he is talking to Leia it plays again in a different tone. Williams being the master of this of course and it sounds great but like I mentioned, no where to be found in any recordings, sad. 

I'm still in the woods with .... why so many "respected" members like TLJ (quotation marks intended) like the latest instalment of the movie...  If you take away the StarWars labels... it is the one of the Shifulllness, storyless movie of the 21sth century. I saw the poll where JWfan mebers voted TLJ best SW movie... this poll tells A LOT of the people of this forum IQ.  

10/5000

quotation marks

... This is beyond by respect for this people.. If you take out the STAR WARS complex it is one of the worst plotted movies of the modern history. 

4 hours ago, RadJ said:

Damn, late to the party and now the links don't work

The direct ZIP and MP3 links don't work anymore, BUT the MP3 files can be grabbed with a little effort using a file download manager, such as "DownThemAll!" in Firefox.

The links in the main post of this thread work for me (the second set), but only in Chrome.  Try installing that to get the files right from Disney

3 hours ago, MAG-SI said:

I'm still in the woods with .... why so many "respected" members like TLJ (quotation marks intended) like the latest instalment of the movie...  If you take away the StarWars labels... it is the one of the Shifulllness, storyless movie of the 21sth century. I saw the poll where JWfan mebers voted TLJ best SW movie... this poll tells A LOT of the people of this forum IQ.  

10/5000

quotation marks

... This is beyond by respect for this people.. If you take out the STAR WARS complex it is one of the worst plotted movies of the modern history. 

Go away.

4 hours ago, MAG-SI said:

10/5000

quotation marks

Come into my arms, friend!

No, joking aside ...

If you take out the verbatim quotes from previous films, TLJ score would be dull as dishwater, and rank amongst the most boring of modern John Williams.

The story of the movie is a pile of something with or without Star Wars in the title.

14 hours ago, MAG-SI said:

10/5000

quotation marks

OK dude

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

It was just "good".

It lacks the polish and the propulsion to make it anything more than that.

Do you understand the concept of "opinion"? Sheesh.

I think I never watched it completely. I'm not a fan boy anymore since 1983... okay, let's be honnest... 1989 (BATMAN!!!!) :P

On 21.1.2018 at 1:59 PM, Taikomochi said:

Everyone who doesn’t share my opinion has a low IQ!!

Why can't trolls be marked somehow. Jay could make their profile names appear in green, for example.