Jost1

What's your favorite non-franchise Williams score?

We all know John Williams got as big he has by writing fantastic scores for franchise blockbusters, but we ALSO know that he can do so much more - so which score is your favorite of his that was written for a film that's not part of a franchise or series?

Schindler's List is probably up there for me, but I'm also very fond of JFK and Born on the Fourth of July.

Hook, War Horse, CE3K, AI, Lincoln, Minority Report, Empire of Sun, Tintin, 1941, and The Terminal would be my top 10 Williams non-franchise scores I think.

Well: Hook, of course. The subdued cameo of the actual Pan theme that makes its first ethereal statement at the climax of "The Never-Feast" (in the film: as Pan holds the sword confidently for the first time) is one of my single favorite individual moments in JW's repertoire. When "Remembering Childhood" and the first half of "You Are the Pan" are treated as a single musical sequence... well, that's one of the most cathartic and satisfying musical sequences I've heard in my life.

Despite not being in the same league as the aforementioned, I have a soft spot for The Witches of EastwickAngela's Ashes, and The Fury.

There are too many.  I think Jason is right that the better approach is favorite by decade.  For me, ET, CETK, Lincoln, and Memoirs of a Geisha.  We will see if The Post ends up on the list.  

On 14/12/2017 at 9:57 PM, Bryant Burnette said:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

On 14/12/2017 at 10:03 PM, Lewya said:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

It's not only my #1 JW score (and the best damned thing he's ever written) it's my #1 score. Period.

On 14/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

E.T.

On 18/12/2017 at 5:43 AM, DominicCobb said:

E.T., without contest.

Many others not too far behind, though.

On 15/12/2017 at 3:10 AM, JohnSolo said:

E.T. easily.

Hmm. Since E.T. has a ride (with original music by JW) and a sequel novel, could it be regarded as a franchise?

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hmm. Since E.T. has a ride (with original music by JW) and a sequel novel, could it be regarded as a franchise?

Casablanca was featured in a segment of 'The Great Movie Ride' at Hollywood Studios in Disneyworld, and also had a novelization. Does that mean it's a franchise?

There's hardly one of the blockbusters in my Top 10, so i'd list BOTFJ, Dracula and A. I. as my Top 3 (with Close Encounters, Angela's Ashes, Jane Eyre, The River, Cinderella Liberty, Images and The Long Goodbye trailing them).