THE LAST JEDI - Music Featurette with Recording Sessions Footage Shown at Opening Night Fan Event

rpvee

I went to the opening night showing. I actually just got back. It was such a delightful surprise to have that featurette before Star Wars, Episode VIII: The Last Jedi started. I loved it. The Maestro looks and sounds great. What a treat. Not only that, but the film was absolutely phenomenal, with a lot of unexpected surprises. Not to mention that the Maestro once again out does himself with the score. I can't wait to see it again.

That sounds awesome! My showing at AMC had nothing before the trailer. :( In fact, it started 15 minutes late.

I was pleasantly surprised how POWERFUL the music was, especially during the final act. I can't wait until I listen to the OST tomorrow. Rose's theme is stuck in my head. 😍

My local imax showing had the JW featurette before the film too. I was very surprised by the fact that it showed new shots and played new music right before seeing and hearing it in the film. The sound mix is great and the music comes through loud and clear. I agree the music is powerful in the film. I think JW was invigorated scoring this film and I hope he does 9 as well. He looked very healthy in the featurette.

30 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

My local imax showing had the JW featurette before the film too. I was very surprised by the fact that it showed new shots and played new music right before seeing and hearing it in the film. The sound mix is great and the music comes through loud and clear. I agree the music is powerful in the film. I think JW was invigorated scoring this film and I hope he does 9 as well. He looked very healthy in the featurette.

It wasn't too extensive tho. I usually don't like those EPKs before the film, but it was pretty harmless.

16 minutes ago, Justanothercrow421 said:

It wasn't too extensive tho. I usually don't like those EPKs before the film, but it was pretty harmless.

I liked it overall, just making a few observations. Any JW interview is a good thing to me.

You can put it on youtube or vimeo or whatever site you want and embed it, of course, but no, you can't upload it to our own server here.

24 minutes ago, Luka said:

Do I have the right to post the video I took of it here, Jay???

According to fair use policy, you would be well within your legal rights to post it on Youtube and then embed here. It is your own recording, filmed using your own equipment of an event you paid money to attend. 

4 minutes ago, HuberSepp said:

Thanks a lot! But strange enough: You can clearly see JW conducting the main title for TLJ. This make it even more confusing why this recording was not used on the CD.

Exactly. You can see the video - he's clearly recording the main title for Ep VIII with the scroll.

The mystery deepens.

My guess ... they recorded it. But in edit, due to some reason, tracked the Ep VII recording.

So the new recording is out there somewhere.

2 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Are we positive the film version is the TFA recording? OST has been confirmed, but film version? It sounded punchier in the theater to me but some say it sounded dry.

Confirmed: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28076-the-last-jedi-ost-album-music-discussion-no-movie-spoilers/&do=findComment&comment=1430144

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Your confirmation is about OST right? Not the film version?

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Your confirmation is about OST right? Not the film version?

Its not my confirmation, but yes, of course's that a comparison of the TLJ CD to the TFA CD.

Oh, I misread the post before, my bad.

I dunno if anyone's ears are good enough to tell if the film version is identical to the CD version or not, at least not yet.

I think its fair to say that hopes that Rian Johnson is a more composer-friendly director have been proven to be, if not false, certainly a case of wishful thinking.

There's a lot of blatant temp-track love in his: from original score that feels too close to existing music (especially prequel music!), tracked or re-created music in the film; there's a discarded recording of the opening, and a poorly-edited end-credits. 

OK, got to watch the video.  Thank you SO MUCH for posting it, @Luka!!!

So yea, it CLEARLY shows Williams conducting the main titles at the TLJ sessions, unquestionably.

I wonder why the TFA main titles are on the OST album.

The titles in the video don't really sound too different from the OST recording. The OST has a tiny blink-and-you-miss-it drumroll buildup before the first note, this one starts immediately. MAYBE the first note goes out a little slower and more softly in the OST and a bit more abruptly in the video, MAYBE the first note is fuller and stronger with more umph in the video. But this recording of a movie screen is not exactly sufficient quality to say anything conclusive. How different did we even expect it to be, or why? It's the same studio, same setup, probably all the same musicians - we were never gonna get a difference like between SW and Empire, those are heaven and earth. Still very strange they would just put the old recording on the new OST, though.

So what are these inside jokes Williams speaks of I wonder.

Also I love the little laugh after he talks about Ep 9, and says he hopes this isn't an experience that ends. It says that he feels like he's never not been doing Star Wars. 

1 hour ago, Oskar said:

Apparently they are 'pen pals' (the look on the interviewer's face when she says that :lol:)

Well, she "scored" a point in my book. :)

Karol

Rian might answer the question on Twitter?

It's doubly weird that Dudamel isn't even credited for conducting in the film or album, despite them using the version he conducted.

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 1:30 PM, Luka said:

Great, I'm uploading it on YouTube and when it's done I'll put the link :) 

There you go guys! Sorry for it being badly cropped... I was trying to be discreet lol

Well, since it seems this won't be on any of the home media releases of the film, I'd say we're very lucky you recorded this!  Thanks again! :)