The Last Jedi vs The Force Awakens vs Rogue One

Quintus

The Last Jedi vs The Force Awakens vs Rogue One  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do you think is the best of the three?

I really can't decide whether to place TLJ above or under TFA yet. Next week after a second viewing, it'll hopefully be clearer.

Personally, I'm confused by the Last Jedi... Too many "wtf" moments. And coming out of the cinema, I didn't have that good of a feeling about it, so I must say The Force Awakens. Maybe (and I hope) my opinion will change once I see it another time...

Meh. They're all pretty much on the same level, Rogue One being the most forgettable of the bunch I suppose.

Haven't decided between TFA and TLJ yet. The former is cleaner, the latter more ambitious. Both flawed.

I'm going to be very verbose on this. Proceed with caution.

On the most basic level (i.e. reasonable production value and the existence of a narrative) I like all three. But Rogue One (which I've just finished watching on TV where it just aired) is empty in term of character. As with Edwards other major feature, Godzilla, the film is severely lacking in a sense of humanity. The attempt to tell it in a none-linear manner, clearly modeled after Chris Nolan's approach, is nothing but a gimmick: it is not used to infuse the first act with action (really, the film is completely boring until the finale) or deepen our understanding of the characters. Yes, the visuals are striking, but its not that difficult to create them when you're playing around in a digital environment. Its not cinematography if the camera is a virtual one.

Even a lot of the effects lack polish. Much has been said about the digitally recreated characters. Now, its possible to create compelling digital doubles, but it requires the actor to be on the motion capture stage. You can't do it with existing footage. Even some of the practical effects aren't that impressive: The film attempts to recreate the cheaper Vader suit used in the original Star Wars, but in doing so exposes the suit to the scrutiny of contemporary cameras and showcases its ridiculousness.

For a film that has been lauded for its uniqueness in the Star Wars cinematic landscape, this film is so brimming with fan service. I seem to remember once where it plays with the fan service (where a character about to speak a "classic" Star Wars line is cut-off mid sentence) but otherwise its just in there way too much: from the C3PO cameo, to Princes Leia uttering "A New Hope" to the inappropriate use of Williams' themes. So, I understand that The Force theme is the "Rebel-ship-taking-off-in-a-wide-shot theme."

Yes, the finale is action packed, but its too fragmented. There's a difference between the finale of something like Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. What is it? one extra storyline. When you have two storylines running through the climax, you can play them off of each other. When its three or more, it becomes too much and the audience usually finds one storyline to focus on and doze through the rest, which ends up detracting from the climax as a whole. 

I have my fair share of issues with The Force Awakens: namely, its derivative nature, and the over-abundance of jokes and the occasional Rathtar sequence, but its still better than Rogue One.

Just now, crocodile said:

TFA and TLJ are sort of equals. TFA is a mediocre concept executed extremely well. TLJ is a very good an OK concept executed... not that well.

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

It's all for you, dear Alvar!

:up:

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

TFA and TLJ are sort of equals. TFA is a mediocre concept executed extremely well. TLJ is a very good concept executed... not that well.

Karol

I agree with the Boal!

TFA had characters I was invested in and a strong clear story, albeit a rehash of ANH. It also looked great!

TLJ has some really good dramatic storytelling, avoided some obvious pitfalls while still surprising, has some beautiful shots but the Finn/Rose subplot really drags down its overall average. 

RO has its moments, Donnie Yen and K-2 especially, but the story telling was a little messy and most of the characters (including Jyn) were underdeveloped. 

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

...this film is so brimming with fan service. I seem to remember once where it plays with the fan service (where a character about to speak a "classic" Star Wars line is cut-off mid sentence) but otherwise its just in there way too much: from the C3PO cameo, to Princes Leia uttering "A New Hope" to the inappropriate use of Williams' themes. So, I understand that The Force theme is the "Rebel-ship-taking-off-in-a-wide-shot theme."

I don't understand the objection to C3PO's inclusion, and I'm not particularly fond of fan service of any kind. It isn't unreasonable he would be on the Yavin Base and instead of feeling cheap and shoehorned, I think it was a nice little nod to the character and the other films.

The Leia line at the end was only cringeworthy to me because of the terrible CGI face.