Where do you rank the score for "The Last Jedi"?

John

Where do you rank the score for "The Last Jedi"?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you rank John Williams' music for "The Last Jedi" among his previous 'Star Wars' scores?

• It's his best Star Wars score.
    • It's his second best Star Wars score.
    • It's his third best Star Wars score.
    • It's his fourth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his fifth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his sixth best Star Wars score.
    • It's his seventh best Star Wars score.
    • It's his eighth best Star Wars score.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Do you like Rose's theme?

Spoiler

She's dead, so at least we can say that we never listen to it again.

Hmm, gonna have to give it another few listens, but right now I rank it above ROTS & AOTC and around TFA. I like both Rose and Luke's new theme, but some of the action material isn't my favorite. Still it's quite good.

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's not really a score, it's a best-of.

I don't understand this.  The score fits the movie very well, so it does the primary job it is supposed to do.  Perhaps your complaint is more directed to the movie?

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't understand anything about this awefull day.

It's terrible to see your idols dying.

Ok, what's next... The Post.

WTF!

I'm sorry you don't like the score, I really am, but many others do like it and hear a lot of great things in it. To say he is somehow dying is a massive overreaction. 

Do you realize that William Ross could have wrote this score?

Do you realize it?

I MEAN IT REALLY, DO YOU REALIZE IT?

It's very good, it sounds like a real John Williams score. The illusion is almost perfect.

I don't know, I perhaps should be more respectfull of John Williams's work and about him generally. But today, I'm not.

Sorry.

4 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

It’s just music. It’s not the end of the world.

This,  For me IT'S the end of the world.

I never imagined a Star Wars movie could be so bad than the prequels.

This Star Wars IS.

Now that I have made peace with the fact that The Rebellion is Reborn is the only concert piece we are getting from this score, I have listened to it more intently.  It really is quite good and, as SW concert pieces go, quite original.  I like it better than Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes (the two other "one piece per SW score" pieces), and a lot of the other pieces from the other films (Jar Jar's great adventure, Jabba, Scherzo).  So, on that measure, the TLJ does pretty well.  

My ranking

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

6. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

7. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

9. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I'm shocked how low people are ranking this score. Other than some dull TFA-esque underscore, I haven't heard Williams write such invested and extroverted music since ROTS. I did not realise he had a score like this still in him.

5th for me though, just cannot beat the OT or ROTS for big dramatic moments (but it comes close). It drops a few points for shamelessly reusing that weak TFA Main Title, especially after they went to the trouble of fixing the dry recording/mixing sound used on TFA. The TLJ Main Title should've reflected this newer mix!

I placed it in 5th  .The album is strong and I heard enough good unreleased music to topple some of the prequels

i see there's a lot of vocal haters in this thread

It's very tricky to rank SW scores. In my mind there are 2 separate rankings: how much I like the score as heard in the movie and how much I like the music on it's own. As music heard in the movie, I would rank TLJ above TPM and possibly even ROTS. But, so far, as music on it's own I love TPM far more and ROTS has better highlights than TLJ and is overall more enjoyable to listen to one OST compared to the other.

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

It's very tricky to rank SW scores.

Yes, they all work in the film and they all have strong concert suites. And they all get better over time. I love TPM and TFA, somehow TLJ is a little more consistently enjoyable to me, for now. ROTS has more highlights, but TPM has the DNA of all the following films. TFA is at it's best in the FYC  version, but that isn't as high quality sound.
Best to love them all.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Yes, absolutely.

It's like a Star Wars adaptation score.

By the way, my ranking too:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. ROTJ

4. ROTS

5. TPM

6. AOTC

7. TFA

8. TLJ

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

No way.  Too many Williamisms for it to be anyone else.  A lot of golden moments in this score. 

What really surprises me is Williams signing off those end credits.  Yeesh.  I'm not saying the music is bad but rather the copy and paste job.  It's a mess.  I would have began the end credits (after the traditional theme) with a rendition of Leia's theme leading up to Fisher's credit and then segway into the all the new stuff... Rose's theme, Luke's new theme, Holdo's theme and Rey's theme since she's the star.  Maybe end the credits with a bombastic and upbeat version of Rey's theme.  The credits have been ending too softly for my tastes but I do love the final rendition of Rey's theme.

20 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

No way.  Too many Williamisms for it to be anyone else.  A lot of golden moments in this score. 

What really surprises me is Williams signing off those end credits.  Yeesh.  I'm not saying the music is bad but rather the copy and paste job.  It's a mess.  I would have began the end credits (after the traditional theme) with a rendition of Leia's theme leading up to Fisher's credit and then segway into the all the new stuff... Rose's theme, Luke's new theme, Holdo's theme and Rey's theme since she's the star.  Maybe end the credits with a bombastic and upbeat version of Rey's theme.  The credits have been ending too softly for my tastes but I do love the final rendition of Rey's theme.

The medley in the end credits is a good representation of the full score though, both in content and stylistically. 

12 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The medley in the end credits is a good representation of the full score though, both in content and stylistically. 

I don't disagree with the representation but the presentation is messy and lazy. The film version seemed to be better, though.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Likewise, I'm a bit... bemused.

I'm guessing it's wishful thinking.

I cannot ignore the lack of originality. This score relies too heavily on pre-existing thematic material, and feels like it's following (or made to follow) too closely in the footsteps of Johnson's temp track choice. Makes it feel lazy.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

I've been on this board as long as anyone here and I clearly remember the initial reaction to every single Star Wars released post-ROTJ has been quite lukewarm. AOTC and ROTS were classified as 'mediocre' works

Well, AOTC still is.

It's a marvelous score, and exactly the score the film needed. The writing feels energized and fresh, and there are some truly original orchestrations both in the action oriented cues, and in some of the more subtle underscore. 

To me, it really is an extension of TFA, but with more room to let that material breathe, sing and soar. The new material offers charming additions to the glossary, while the older material is given some really terrific new spins.  

I think it's probably the most consistently well-spotted Star Wars film scores since the OT. 

If the sequel trilogy is symphonically conceived, this score serves as its development section. 

I'm not sure if I agree if the score is an expansion of TFA.  In regards to the TFA themes, absolutely, but it stops there aside from some direct quotes.  The original material and even the new themes are of a different flavor than TFA.  They're really two completely different scores after I've listened to the OST a few times.  I was expecting a Home Alone 2/COS scenario but it's not the case.  Those scores really sound like extensions and cut from the same mold as their predecessors.  COS goes a little darker but the overall score is still the same flavor as the original.