What is your favorite Star Wars end titles music?

karelm

What is your favorite Star Wars end credits music?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Star Wars end credits music?

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Revenge of the Jedi
    • Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • The Last Jedi

47 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Star Wars. I didnt see it listed.

Rogue one shouldn't be on that list. 

I listed Star Wars with it's episode title.  "A New Hope".

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Empire Strikes Back is my least favorite score of the original three, but 5:27 on, especially with the brass runs, is what Star Wars is to me.

To me, ESB embodies the DNA of what is a Star Wars score.  It is the one that all others are judged to and this includes the end title which has the least "edited" feel.  The themes ebb and flow very sweepingly and builds to one of the greatest ending fanfares in all of Star Wars.

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

I listed Star Wars with it's episode title.  "A New Hope".

Star Wars never had an episode title when it was first released. It didn't even have an episode number. Plus "A New Hope" is such a dumb title.

Yes I saw that Karelm Im just trying to remember when John wrote a score called that! ;)

I can't vote on this one because I have three favorites, all for different reasons. The credits for Star Wars are perfect for the heroic, idealistic tone of that first film - not to mention they've got my favorite pre-credits cue transition. The credits for Empire are chillingly good, especially in the way it transitions between the score's three major new themes. And then TFA is actually quite fantastic as well, doing an equally great job at representing all the film's major thematic material in a way that feels organic.

What the hell, I'll vote for Empire. It's still a tie for me, though.

I'll say A New Hope, specifically the original '77 arrangement, as opposed to the reworked concert version.  The Throne Room music is among my very favorite of the entire saga; I also prefer the way the original piece ends with the unison fortissimo triplets, and the celli and basses hanging on until fading off to nothing.

Simple.  Basically, the films that follow the Star Wars end credit template which Rogue One does.  I am including star wars theatrical movies that include a build up to that energetic fanfare transition at the end title cards followed by a suite of themes arranged into a single musical number. 

Yeah a lot of the best music is in the Rogue One end credits. It's essentially just the suites, as @BloodBoal said. I love it personally but I am a big Giacchino/Rogue One score fan (don't kill me!). I voted A New Hope because..I don't know it just feels the purest to me...but it is pretty much impossible to choose.

ESB, and it's not exactly a contest. I love the ending of AOTC, though, where he weaves together the love theme, Anakin's theme, and the Imperial March. It's a shame that the middle portion is just the concert arrangement dropped in. I do have a soft spot for the original, especially in the film recording, and I think there's something to be said for the ending that he eventually replaced with the Throne Room music. I also like the sound of the strings playing those initial bars of the end credits rather than trumpets, as it became from ESB forward. It's a nice contrast to the brass renditions of the rebel fanfare and main title theme. But I think ESB has the advantage of more diverse thematic material, and some really well-crafted transitions. The way the brass bring it to a close is one of my favorite musical things about the Star Wars scores. The transitions are the only thing the ROTS end titles have going for them, if you ask me. It's a lackluster performance and recording of the OT material that eats up valuable space on a too-short album. ROTJ has nothing to really distinguish it, nor does TPM. So I guess TFA is tied for second, and it's actually pretty close.

Star Wars has the greatest endtitles and it's not exactly a contest. I love the ending of TFA, though, where he weaves together Rey's Theme, Kylo Rens Theme and the March of the Resistance and the Force theme. But if I had to put an order to it that order would be Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, The Force Awakens, Return of the Jedi 1, Return of the Jedi 2, If I threw in the prequels 3, 1, 2. 

for the record I actually listened to all 3 prequel finales. aotc gave me a nose bleed. 

Should JW make an end credit suite after Star Wars IX?  So like an hour long suite arranged from the best moments from all the Star Wars end credits?  It would be the end title suite to end all end title suites...sort of like a Mahler symphony complete with a whopping climax full of glorious fanfares on overdrive. 

Yes. John should do an end credit suite that incorporates all 6 Star Wars movies.

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Yes. John should do an end credit suite that incorporates all 6 Star Wars movies.

You mean 9 or are you considering VII to IX non-canon?

TFA might make for a nice appendix adventure. The end of Han Solo, so to speak. And then it just ends. It's then up to the audience's imagination as to what happened after Rey met Luke at the edge of that cliff. Maybe he became so depressed at the sight of that lightsabre, he jumped to his death, leaving Rey in a state of shock and so traumatised, she murdered Chewie and R2, then flew the Falcon in search of Ken, her future lover and co-regent in the new Empire.

1 hour ago, karelm said:

You mean 9 or are you considering VII to IX non-canon?

Its well known I pretend the prequels don't exist.