The Last Jedi: Guess The Temptrack.

I was serious, in another thread I suggested to put all JW's music in a computer, to analyze what are the existing cues that are an exact match (tempi and syncing) to TLJ tracks.

I hear a lot of POA in this score as well. 

Some people are saying Rose's theme sounds like Anakin's theme but I don't hear that at all.  It reminds me more of Fawkes theme.

Also, it didn't click with me upon my first viewing of the film, but the Falcon going into the crystal caves on Crait is reminiscent of the Falcon going into the Death Star II (even the shot of the Falcon going into the hole is similar to the ROTJ shot) and navigating through all the tight spaces hence why Superstructure chase was probably temped and ultimately used.  I guess it was an homage of some sort.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, parts of this score have that distrinctive TOD/ROTJ action writing.

Do ToD and RotJ have similar action writing?

I wonder then why I like ToD so very much, but have difficulty appreciating RotJ properly.... :unsure:

1 minute ago, someonefun124 said:

Some people are saying Rose's theme sounds like Anakin's theme but I don't hear that at all.  It reminds me more of Fawkes theme

Both the theme and the way its used reminds me of Short Rounds theme in Temple Of Doom.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Both the theme and the way its used reminds me of Short Rounds theme in Temple Of Doom.

Yes, I noticed as well.  Interesting how many interpretations there are of Rose's theme.

Damn. :( I was close though! 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

My guess, The Fathiers was temptracked with TOD music, probably the Nightclub Fight. The second part of The Fathiers sounds extremely TOD.

Some moments are from ROTJ in there too, like the rushing strings here:

0:36 - 0:39

0:51 - 0:54

And the trumpet "slide" just after the excerpt in Scout Walker Scramble can be heard in The Fathiers at 1:06.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

My guess, The Fathiers was temptracked with TOD music, probably the Nightclub Fight. The second part of The Fathiers sounds extremely TOD.

Don't think it was a temp but the 'Mine Car Chase' was very close to a short passage midway through.

There's a small portion in Escape which sounds like a portion of The Flying Car from Chamber of Secrets. In fact a few of the action moments remind me of cues from Chamber of Secrets, a possible William Ross connection...

• 3 months later...

Reposting @crumbs's awesome finds from "TLJ score as heard in film" thread so they don't get lost among the dozens of pages there. Nice work, crumbs!

On 3/31/2018 at 6:37 AM, crumbs said:

Kylo's march into the Crait bunker was surely tracked with The Arena.

And that spectacular ending to The Last Jedi feels like it was temped with the big Mustafar fanfare that ends the second act of ROTS.

No exact timestamps but I think a lot of the opening battle with BB8's antics was tracked with R2D2's material in ROTS' opening space battle.

No complaints from me though! ROTS is easily my favourite of the three prequel scores and I'm so glad JW revisited this dark, edgier style of writing before the series was done (especially with JJ returning for IX, which will probably be far lighter in tone than the dramatic gut-punch that TLJ was). He hasn't written in this vein since 2005, when he did 3 of his 'darkest' scores to date (WOTW, Munich and ROTS) in the one year!

Depending on my mood, I love saccharine/cute/patriotic Williams as much as the next guy (War Horse, Lincoln, BFG, Tintin, Book Thief) but TLJ is a welcome divergence at his age.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure that would be the case for a Star Wars temp. At the very least I'm sure they had the entirety of TFA's recording sessions at their disposal.

Who's the temp track editor? Ramiro?

Yeah, but I doubt they'd bother digging back to Revenge of the Sith's recording sessions, if its a cue that didn't see the light of day on album.

And the persistence of some of the elements of that score in particular through the score is, to me, evidence of Johnson's affection towards it, which means that he probably had it on his mind before the time came to temp-ing the film.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can't believe this one didn't occur to me sooner. Had an epiphany listening to Holdo's Resolve tonight and knew I had to test my theory. Lo and behold, this was the result, with only one small music edit and a few frame trims. Ultimately though, no shots deleted, no shots added, no shots switched around. This is basically the final cut of the film:

https://vimeo.com/352518362

(video reversed and sped up 5% to avoid Vimeo's automated takedown filter)

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Reasons you might be seeing this page
  • It exists, but you don’t have permission to see it, or you need to log in.
  • Nothing has ever existed here. Spooky.
  • Something once lived here, but has been deleted.

Try to source the videos from the official music label channels or "topic" channels so that the videos don't disappear later.