THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

Well, this is great news and an interesting situation. Can't help wonder how and when this came up. Since Williams is somewhat involved, I almost want him to score the whole film but I also want a Powell SW score, too. Ugh. I guess it wouldn't be possible for Williams because of all his concerts early next year.

31 minutes ago, pete said:

Wow, that's a surprise! A theme for Han after all these years, and two years after he was killed by his son.

Han has had a theme since ESB.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If anything, its a secondary theme for the Princess, first.

It begins like her theme, and is generally much more reminiscent of the music associated with her, than with anything that has to do with Han. Its used specifically for her, just as often as it is used specifically for him. And the music isn't evocative of anything to do with Han Solo.

I get people want their favorite characters to be "honored" by having a theme, but this is just stretching the truth a little too far.

27 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Indeed!

It will be very interesting to hear a new one, anyway. I'm quite thrilled.

Interesting news.

I actually found the article when I was browsing yahoo and the way it was worded I thought Powell had been booted and Williams was writing the entire score.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Han had no solo theme!

True fans know it! Williams only composed short fanfare for Millenium Falcon

3 minutes ago, Score said:

"Han Solo and the Princess", played by a Horn Solo, is the solo theme for Han Solo!

It's love theme! It can change...new woman...new theme!

I can't help wondering what the motive behind this is (I've been watching Designated Survivor - I'm in a conspiracy mindset).

Are Disney sufficiently worried about the film that they want JW's name on it somehow? I wonder what Powell thinks (and I mean really thinks, not the PR crap he'll say about being 'an honour') about someone else writing his main theme?

Whole thing feels very off.

2 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

True fans know it! Williams only composed short fanfare for Millenium Falcon

It's love theme! It can change...new woman...new theme!

One day we need to make a comprehensive list of all the occurrences of the solo Han Solo theme in ESB, so people will see that it is mostly used to score Han Solo's brave actions, independently of the Princess (e.g. at the end of the Battle of Hoth, at the end of the Asteroid Field escape). Then, of course the Princess is there, because they are almost always together... 

Just now, Richard Penna said:

But Powell is perfectly capable of writing a theme...

JW is for PR. No other reason.

Ron Howard is JW's friend

13 minutes ago, Obi said:

I think we can expect something in the style of "The Adventures of Mutt"

No, that will be very catchy and memorable (simple) theme...something in the style of Raiders March!

I just don't like the fact that the news has come only a few days after the rumours that Disney is preparing for the film to bomb. They're trying to put some good PR in it in the most obvious crowd-pleasing way possible.

16 minutes ago, Score said:

One day we need to make a comprehensive list of all the occurrences of the solo Han Solo theme in ESB, so people will see that it is mostly used to score Han Solo's brave actions, independently of the Princess (e.g. at the end of the Battle of Hoth, at the end of the Asteroid Field escape). Then, of course the Princess is there, because they are almost always together... 

Land what about the entire finale where it scores the Princess' attempts to retrieve Han's effigy, her distraught at losing it as Boba Fett leaves, and as she is thinking about Han in the end of the film?

The theme is no way the theme for Han.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I just don't like the fact that the news has come only a few days after the rumours that Disney is preparing for the film to bomb. They're trying to put some good PR in it in the most obvious crowd-pleasing way possible.

It will also feature bonus scenes directed by Steven Spielberg.

:P

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I would agree with this more if Disney released their own statement but this came from an interview with Williams and it seems like it was his idea.  Also, I don't think Williams writing Solo's theme is going to keep it from bombing especially after many have expressed disappointment with TLJ's score (for the record, I love it!).