THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Depending on what cameos get shoehorned in, we may get Jabba's theme and/or Boba Fett's motif. Probably one of the ANH stormtrooper/Imperial motifs too.

What Imperial motifs? There's one Imperial motif and the Death Star motif. Everything else is either setpiece-specific or an accompaniment to the Imperial motif.

I don't think we'll see or hear Boba, but Jabba we might.

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Williams: Great cue Powell baby, you are exactly on the right path. How about you just orchestrate this cue for an electric guitar and drums.

And more Xylophone runs. Don't forget more Xylophone runs!

16 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I hope Williams debuts the theme at the concerts I'm attending. End of April in Chicago and middle of June in Baltimore. 

I doubt you'll hear the theme at the concert. JW rarely premieres new music before the film is released, and following tradition, the film premiere will be postponed to December, after Giacchimoto has replaced Powell.

:P

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The idea that out of the blue, Disney decides JW should write the main theme...

This might have been in the works for a while now, for all we know.  Very little in Hollywood happens out of the blue.

After reading all of your thoughts I still don't know what to think. And that's great :lol: The end result will be great I'm sure. I'm sad Powell don't get to write everything all by himself but he as time to make another Star Wars in his career !

I would like williams to write a fanfare for the spinoffs though. I like Gia score for Rogue one but the fanfare was meh.

There's nothing in Empire Strikes Back to suggest that Han Solo had an earlier run-in with Boba Fett, to justify his involvement in this film.

Also, his backstory in adressed in the prequels to the point that further exploration of his character (especially given his at-random death in Return of the Jedi) is redundant, and that it would quite possibly require bringing the prequel actor back.

18 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Boba Fett will definitely appear in Solo. Disney and Lucasfilm aren't going to miss an easy opportunity at fan service for a much loved character that is inexplicably dear to the fandom. 

People love him because he's Phasma's father.

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, it's kazoos.

Performed by Jerry Hey.

21 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Land what about the entire finale where it scores the Princess' attempts to retrieve Han's effigy, her distraught at losing it as Boba Fett leaves, and as she is thinking about Han in the end of the film?

The theme is no way the theme for Han.

21 hours ago, Score said:

One day we need to make a comprehensive list of all the occurrences of the solo Han Solo theme in ESB, so people will see that it is mostly used to score Han Solo's brave actions, independently of the Princess (e.g. at the end of the Battle of Hoth, at the end of the Asteroid Field escape). Then, of course the Princess is there, because they are almost always together... 

I believe a strong point can be made that it works as a theme for Han in ESB at least. As far as I noticed last time, it's always tied to his character, and not always clearly to Leia.

Of course, you can also argue that, aside from his brief support of Luke at Yavin, it's Leia in ESB who turns him from being a smuggler to supporting the rebel cause, and basically becoming the character that he is from ESB onwards, so in a way, being a love theme for both of them could also justify it being used as a theme for himself.

As for the theme itself, I have no idea what Williams will do with it.  I cannot see a big heroic sort of thing, as Williams shies away from them nowadays.  Of course, if Ron Howard wants something like that, Williams will oblige.  

I have some hope for the movie, as it was co-written with Lawrence Kasdan.  If anyone can get Han Solo right, it is him.  

15 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

... it's good in that we get a new JW theme, but Powell's really good at writing memorable long-form themes too, and now he has to write a score using someone else's theme...

What's a good long-form theme by John Powell? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I believe a strong point can be made that it works as a theme for Han in ESB at least. As far as I noticed last time, it's always tied to his character, and not always clearly to Leia.

Of course, you can also argue that, aside from his brief support of Luke at Yavin, it's Leia in ESB who turns him from being a smuggler to supporting the rebel cause, and basically becoming the character that he is from ESB onwards, so in a way, being a love theme for both of them could also justify it being used as a theme for himself.

Yes, exactly. Starting from a certain moment in ESB, Han and Leia are always connected by the love story until the end of ROTJ. Either they are together (ESB before carbon freezing and ROTJ after rescue from Jabba), or Leia is trying to save Han from Jabba. So, after the love story starts, of course every time we hear that theme it might be considered also as a "love theme". However, since the theme is stated several times in ESB BEFORE the love story starts (Hoth and Asteroids), it means that it was associated from the beginning with Han, and then it is used as a love theme when the love story becomes the most important aspect of Han's adventure. In ESB's Finale, where the theme sounds majestically as Luke, Leia and the droids are looking at the galaxy, while the others are leaving on the Millennium Falcon for the rescue mission, it's not just about Han and Leia, it rather suggests the big missing character, and the fact that everybody (not just Leia) is going to try to save him.

In other words: the theme is never used without a strong connection to Han; the theme is used several times without a strong connection to Leia and the love story; therefore, it is a theme for Han.

59 minutes ago, Score said:

However, since the theme is stated several times in ESB BEFORE the love story starts (Hoth and Asteroids), it means that it was associated from the beginning with Han, and then it is used as a love theme when the love story becomes the most important aspect of Han's adventure.

Its used before the love story is set in motion for "technical" reasons: Williams wanted to introduce the theme as early as possible, so the first time that either one of the lovers (Han, as it so happens) appears, the theme is used.  The next appearance is with Leia, and "grows" out of her theme.

Empire Strikes Back has the closest thing in Star Wars to a Howard Shore-esque "overture." Both the Imperial March, love theme and Droid motif are all stated in that very sequence.

What seals the deal for me is that musically, the love theme may as well have been a secondary Leia theme. Its absolutely tied to her theme, and it no way evokes Han Solo.

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

Leia has three themes written for her. That's three hero themes, mind, not secondary, or tertiary themes. That's quite an achievement.

I dunno. Luke and Leia isn't as clearly tied to Leia's main theme in the way that the love theme is. Williams doesn't compose themes that can be arranged into "families" a-la Wagner or Howard Shore.

There are connections between themes, and occasionaly a character will have a secondary theme, but there aren't sets and subsets of them.

48 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its used before the love story is set in motion for "technical" reasons: Williams wanted to introduce the theme as early as possible, so the first time that either one of the lovers (Han, as it so happens) appears, the theme is used.  The next appearance is with Leia, and "grows" out of her theme.

Surely some measure of romance between the two already started in A New Hope.

Empire Strikes Back does not immediately follow ANH the way TLJ follows TFA.

I'm certain more stuff happened inbetween that is not shown in the films. :wub:

16 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

If Williams already wrote a theme for Han, why will he write a new one?

Because we wants it? :lol:

13 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Surely some measure of romance between the two already started in A New Hope.

Empire Strikes Back does not immediately follow ANH the way TLJ follows TFA.

I'm certain more stuff happened inbetween that is not shown in the films. :wub:

Watching the original Star Wars now we can look on it as the setup of the romance between Han and Leia, but at the time of its release I think the idea was more that Leia would end up with Luke, and setting-up some chemistry with Han was intended not to be followed through but rather to create tension: the good ol' love-triangle tactic.

Within the Empire Strikes Back, the back and-forth between Han and Leia suggests that they've been through some other adventures together. Its one of the earliest examples of George Lucas' world-building technique of having characters mention ordeals that they endured in places that we never actually see in the films, a (terrible) technique that would be abused to no end in the prequels with the dialogue betwene Anakin and Obi Wan.

The music in the Echo base corridor at the beginning of the film where Leia's Theme morphs into Han Solo and the Princess makes it pretty clear it's a love theme

As far as Powell goes. I have a film music compilation of several GB and and about 200  composers and have retained only 1-2  tracks from him .His music doesn't do anything for me

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well that makes it one more collaboration than he had with Alfonso Cuaron. :P

Doesn't Cuaron hate (or dislike) music in movies, or am I mixing him up with someone else? Imagine him hearing 'A window to the past' and going; "yeah good and all, but id rather not. Thanks anyway Johnnie."

Yeah! Powell received the blessing of John Williams! I see this as a handsome gesture from Williams and something very special for Powell, to collaborate with the composer who made music from his childhood films. Giacchino has always been very happy to make small appearances in the films of the new trilogy. He can be a little jealous now. Hopefully that Williams will have the opportunity to do the main theme of Obi Wan in the future.