THE ADVENTURES OF HAN - 2018 John Williams theme for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Obi

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's why I find it most likely that Desplat was indeed fired.

But probably not for being not able to deliver 'real' SW music. Or they got really shafted by Giacchino on this one.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Chicken Run is his best score, although it's collaborative. Bring back those kazoos!

:D

true, I thiink the few tracks I kept are from that score

and maybe one from How to Train Your Dragon

1 hour ago, publicist said:

But probably not for being not able to deliver 'real' SW music. Or they got really shafted by Giacchino on this one.

I guess they found him good enough. But yeah, I'm not thrilled about his score either.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

true, I thiink the few tracks I kept are from that score

and maybe one from How to Train Your Dragon

John Powell will make kazoos great again!

10 minutes ago, James said:

I believe that John Powell has gone through things considered more insulting than having to score a Star Wars movie and having to deal with John Williams composing a theme for one of the most iconic characters of the franchise for which he dedicated 40 years of his life. 

Did he now? 

7 minutes ago, James said:

I'll tell you the truth, I did not understand.

Regarding the dedication of 40 life, seemed like a weird way to word it. Reminded me of how Hans claims he spent 12 years of his life to Batman movies. Like no, you did not. You spend at most 3 years, the other years you were doing other stuff. Unless Williams was writing SW music for 40 years straight, it's weird putting it like that. Just a nitpick.

Also, SEE IT WAS JW! Blame him for the BRAAAMS damnit. Not me.

1 minute ago, Skywanker said:

but without Williams theme

Why use the Williams theme when the new theme fits Superman that much better? 

Just now, Lord Zimmer said:

Also, SEE IT WAS JW! Blame him for the BRAAAMS damnit. Not me.

That's probably more of the sound designer's decision.  Ben Burtt has been pulling the strings the entire time!

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Man of Steel is a good score

The scene with this "insect/jellyfish" ship and tthe theme playing are almost identical those of 2012. There is nothing new under the sun anyway

3 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Regarding the dedication of 40 life, seemed like a weird way to word it. Reminded me of how Hans claims he spent 12 years of his life to Batman movies. Like no, you did not. You spend at most 3 years, the other years you were doing other stuff. Unless Williams was writing SW music for 40 years straight, it's weird putting it like that. Just a nitpick.

I agree with you. It's just a way of saying how important these scores are to the career of these composers and to those who follow them.

8 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Regarding the dedication of 40 life, seemed like a weird way to word it. Reminded me of how Hans claims he spent 12 years of his life to Batman movies. Like no, you did not. You spend at most 3 years.

Yep.

The closest to that is Shore spending four years (in full, as opposed to Williams or Zimmer) on his Lord of the Rings Cycle, and slightly less on The Hobbit.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yep.

The closest to that is Shore spending four years (in full, as opposed to Williams or Zimmer) on his Lord of the Rings Cycle, and slightly less on The Hobbit.

If Williams loses 6 months with each score, we have 4 full years for SW as well.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

To think that Powell is insulted either objectively or subjectively by this is insane.  He is collaborating with the best film scorer alive within his signature franchise.  I think Powell is thrilled and honored.

Do you think a young Williams would have stomped his feet had he had to score a movie for which Hermann was writing a main theme or would he have been delighted (and treasured the memory years after the older had passed on)?  

Well, Powell isn't exactly young, and Herrmann made JW insecure about his symphonic writing. He's the reason JW retracted the symphony.

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Do you think a young Williams would have stomped his feet had he had to score a movie for which Hermann was writing a main theme or would he have been delighted (and treasured the memory years after the older had passed on)?  

Exactly!

Williams won his first Oscar adapting themes by another composer as well.

I don't think he objected at the time. Doesn't seem to have left any lasting harm either. ;)

18 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

What an insult to John Powell. How insulting. 

Neither you or I are in a position to know what actually offends or insult John Powell but please explain how you think this is an insult?

John Williams is a much respected and talented man and I'n sure many consider it a privilege to work with him.

It is also not the first collaboration on a film score and maybe not even the first time for a collaboration like this.

Aslo, just because we are only now hearing this news does not mean that this is a recent development. These arrangements can make months and there is often different reasons why information is kept from the public.

Powell may have signed on knowing that Williams had been approached or expressed interested in working on the music. Williams is known for wanting to see the completed film before composing the score - perhaps he wanted to have a gander at the movie before finally deciding. Maybe Williams has always regretted not creating a Han Solo theme for the originals - I think he has earned the right to make such a request if he did so.

I want the movies to keep using Williams themes were appropriate - like Kiner and Giacchino have done, like the Imperial March for when the Empire is on screen, Rey's theme in Episode X (should we be so blessed), etc. - but also for each new composer to bring something new to the music of Star Wars. Personally, I'd have preferred Powell to be doing this alone but Williams writing a Han Solo theme gives me neither cause for outrage or ecstasy - I just said to myself "okies" and scrolled to the next bit of news.

1 hour ago, TheForkAwakens said:

I want the movies to keep using Williams themes where appropriate - like Kiner and Giacchino have done, like the Imperial March for when the Empire is on screen[...]but also for each new composer to bring something new to the music of Star Wars.

I believe we all want that.

Although the uses should be appropriate, as you say, not like Giacchino repurposing The Force theme to "epic-wide-shot-of-spaceship-taking-off theme." I think as soon as you're dealing with a composer who didn't write the theme, you run into more risks of that sort of thing happening far too often.

1 hour ago, TheForkAwakens said:

Rey's theme in Episode X (should we be so blessed).

No! They should stick to spin-offs a-la Rian Johnson's proposed trilogy, not do more episodes. There is a lot of drama to be wrung out of finality in a film series. By continuing to make them, they'd undermine that.

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

No! They should stick to spin-offs a-la Rian Johnson's proposed trilogy, not do more episodes. There is a lot of drama to be wrung out of finality in a film series. By continuing to make them, they'd undermine that.

I would love more episodes when the current trilogy has gotten "old", for example in 20 to 30 years.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I want episode IX to end in a conclusive note, like Return of the King, so it feels like no other film can come after it.

Return of the King had waaay too many endings. :D

They could still make a new trilogy in some years no matter how conclusive the ending of episode IX.

For one feature, yes. For the whole trilogy (which, if you recall, is one big film split three ways) no, especially now as the culmination of the entire sextet.

But that's besides the point. What matters is that you can't picture another film in the series coming after it, no matter after how much time. Tolkien once tried to write a follow up, but than realized that it would diminish the effect of the finality of Return of the King, so he abandoned it.

With Star Wars, I didn't mind it all that much because Return of the Jedi is a subpar conclusion. But after the ninth episode? It has to be conclusive.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

With Star Wars, I didn't mind it all that much because Return of the Jedi is a subpar conclusion. But after the ninth episode? It has to be conclusive.

You don't find a barbecue party in the forest to be a fitting conclusion?

Let's hope for an even more epic barbecue party at the end of Ep. IX. With porgs.

:P

I'm a big fan of finality. I think there's inherent drama to it. And that, to me, is the artistic merit of a film series: that you can shape a narrative thrust that overarches multiple films, and - like a script - builds towards a definitive conclusion.

Of course, you could do more films and treat that conclusion as a "false third act" of sorts, but that has already happened with Star Wars, and its not a trick you want to pull twice.

What Skywalker lineage?

Luke is gone, Leia is going to go, and If Kylo Ren doesn't die, I'm taking a plane to personally kick JJ Abrams in the nuts.

You think they'd build another trilogy off of Rey? It will be just like any other spin-off, just with a number in front of the title.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You think they'd build another trilogy off of Rey? It will be just like any other spin-off, just with a number in front of the title.

That's the most likely, isn't it? In 20 years when people are feeling nostalgic towards Rey, it won't be like any other spin-off.

I dunno. I haven't seen anything from Kennedy or anyone else involving more episodes. Going forward I don't believe the spin-off properties will be any less lucrative than making proper "episodes", especially with the original cast and the narrative thrust of the original films already fading away.

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The rise of the New New Republic, and the foundation of a new Jedi order by Rey.

That would be a disaster on her part, indicating she ignored everything that Master Skywalker was trying to tell her. 

The Jedi Order failed because it clings to outdated philosophies that using the Force is restricted to a very exclusive, selective caste of society. 

If the Force is an energy field created by ALL living things that surrounds and binds the universe together, it needs to be taught as such, to be a tool that everyone can use instead of fear. 

Unless the films want to embrace the central tenet of one of the Knights of the Old Republic stories: the Force itself needs to be destroyed. 

The only ring in the Star Wars prequels is the anus from which they were expelled.

38 minutes ago, Woj said:

The Jedi Order failed because it clings to outdated philosophies that using the Force is restricted to a very exclusive, selective caste of society. 

If the Force is an energy field created by ALL living things that surrounds and binds the universe together, it needs to be taught as such, to be a tool that everyone can use instead of fear. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this universe operating on the premise that not every single person can indeed use The Force?